This is just a simple thread mainly to let people know about some changes I made to the wiki's Facebook page (see also RS:FB). This is both for the general wiki populace to know and for the page admins who may not have noticed the changes.
- Way back in June Parsonsda created an image for the cover, as we did not have one since the change to timeline
- If people wish to submit new designs, go for it
- Due to a sudden, large influx of people posting to advertise free membership sites, I have also done the following:
- Changed the default visibility of posts by others to Hidden (can individually unhide posts of legitimate discussion via the activity log)
- Added items to the moderation blocklist (basically, a highly dumbed-down regex-less abusefilter style thing)
- I shall not be publicly posting the blocklist here, as the URLs of the sites are present on it. However, if anyone more familiar with the mechanics of the blocklist wants to see it and optimise/improve it, contact myself or another page admin and we'll send you a link privately (via IRC or S:C or whatever).
The second point is that I feel we should use the FB page more. Right now, all that is inconsistently posted is ET events - via linking to our Twitter account (which is why I made Sentra an admin on the page). I'm not sure what else we could post, but at the least I would like to see all non-reply tweets posted there (maybe extend Free Stuff Fridays to it too? I'm not involved with that though, so I haven't spoken with RuneSlayer or anything).
I don't really have a proposal here, just a notification and a possible discussion topic.
Discuss -16:29, July 26, 2012 (UTC)
Comment - Random featured article and image of the day?07:12, July 27, 2012 (UTC)
Comment - Currently the twitter and facebook accounts are linked but do not share anything. I will now set it so that any statuses are also sent out as tweets, as I previously had it disabled for a reason I can't recall anymore. This does mean admins will need to ensure posts are under the character limit.
The idea of linking to pages on update days sounds like a good idea, as just posting about events really isn't an effective use of our social media, especially when there are no events for a few weeks (such as currently). Also, just on FSF, that competition finished a few weeks ago, so linking that to our facebook won't work.
Also, on the new designs for the cover, getting a new profile picture will also be a good idea, as the current one is fairly old.12:58, July 27, 2012 (UTC)
- Unless I am mistaken, if a status is over the 140 character limit, a link to the facebook post is generated at the end of the tweet. 14:58, July 28, 2012 (UTC)
Comment - Mentioning new updates (and advertising random pages) and projects sound great. I agree with Sentra that the profile pic is fairly old. Maybe open a submissions and voting page for a new profile pic and timeline cover like this? I notice on the page that the events section is unused (only past event there was 2010 wikifest), even though events are announced via status update, they could also be put there for easy access?
Making use of the questions feature would get people who like the page more involved, just a small fun poll every now and again. Even just posting funny runescape photos/videos, and milestones the wiki reaches will be making the page more usable.00:40, July 28, 2012 (UTC)
- I like the idea of questions/polls - "which update are you looking forward to the most this month" after the BTS, or conversely "which update did you enjoy the most this month" at the end of the month; some general wiki questions and such could be done too. 14:58, July 28, 2012 (UTC)
Closed - If the managers of the Facebook page are interested in a new cover and/or profile picture they have the green light to open a submissions page. Publicising articles, updates, projects and polls to encourage community interaction are also available for the Facebook page to utilise. 222 talk 11:22, August 10, 2012 (UTC)