|Release date||9 September 2009 (Update)|
|Quest series||Rise of the Red Axe|
Official description Edit
|“||Missing person reports have been flooding in from Keldagrim East, but the Black Guard seem reluctant to do anything about it. Resources are stretched thin, but Keldagrim West is undoubtedly a greater priority for the Black Guard Supreme Commander. Veldaban refuses to subscribe to this opinion, but his hands are tied; can you help him to reveal the abductors' identities?||”|
|Start point:||Speak to Commander Veldaban in the Black Guard HQ on the Western side of Keldagrim.|
Note: All of these stats can be boosted. It is possible to use the mud bath in Oo'glog (after completing As a First Resort...) and complete this quest with 56 Hunter, or even 55 if you go really fast. It is also possible to eat a spicy stew to boost Firemaking, although it may take a little while
|Items required:||Items from the toolbelt do not need to be listed unless that version won't work, or aren't automatically added to it. |
At least 6 free inventory spaces
|Enemies to defeat:||Chaos dwarf hand cannoneer (level 100) (Can hit up to 380 with ranged and has high LP.)|
- Talk to Commander Veldaban in the black guard building in the western part of Keldagrim and choose any of the first options, then the option "Let me help." to start the quest. After you see a short cut scene you will be taken to the watchtower on the outskirts of the city. Enter the tower to the North and go up the stairs. Go up the stairs again to the second floor and you will find Veldaban fighting the chaos dwarf.
- You have to kill a chaos dwarf hand cannoneer who uses a hand cannon. The cannon fires very slowly (about the speed of a halberd), but can hit up to 380. Using Protect from Missiles is strongly recommended, as this will block the cannon's damage and force the dwarf to use a much weaker melee attack that only hits up to 119. A good strategy is to hang back a moment with Protect from Missiles on and let Veldaban engage the chaos dwarf first. Join the fight when the dwarf is at half health, and this fight is much easier. Another method is to turn on Protect from Missiles and use the stairs to safe spot him.
- If you die whilst fighting the dwarf, your gravestone will appear at the bottom of the tower.
- Pick up the Mysterious slip and speak to Commander Veldaban. He will tell you that the slip is a Grand Exchange order and to head to the Grand Exchange (Note: Be sure to use the option "I'm going to take this note to the Grand Exchange" before continuing, if Commander Veldaban disappears, you can continue). Talk to the Grand Exchange clerk to initiate a short conversation about the order. The clerk will hand you a Package. (Inside it has a Yellow stone, Green stone, a Rod, Metal bowl, a Turnscrew, a Metal rectangle and a Boot).
- Now return to Commander Veldaban, who is now located in east Keldagrim in the Laughing Miner pub. Use the Mine cart system at the Grand Exchange trapdoor to access Keldagrim faster.
- Go to the Laughing Miner pub in Eastern Keldagrim, where you find Commander Veldaban sitting at the table. Here you talk to him. Exhaust every option (including going back and talking about something else); he will ask for a Guardsman's stout from the barmaid at some point (It will be on his tab, no expense for you!). He then asks to take him back to HQ. He argues drunkenly with the Supreme Commander, then leaves to fall asleep.
- After Veldaban gets drunk and falls asleep, head back to the south area of Western Keldagrim and pass through the tower where you fought the chaos dwarf cannoneer.
- Open the package and use the boot on the footprints, located south of the tower in which you killed the chaos dwarf, to reveal a longer trail leading to the Keldagrim south-west mine. (Level 61 Hunter is required. Temporary boosts do work. It is possible to do this at level 56 with a boost from the hunter pool in Oo'glog, then quickly teleport to the Grand Exchange, then go to the minecart, then run through the palace.) Hunter is only required when you compare the boot to the footprints.) Follow the trail.
- Use the metal bowl on the fire west of the southern bridge (not the one near the library, the one south of Dondakan's rock) to put it out, and remove the bowl (Level 61 Firemaking required; boosts are possible). Closer examination will reveal a socket at the bottom of the pit.
- Take out the rod, examine it, then use it on the firepit, then click it again to turn it. (Level 69 Strength required; boosts are possible)
- A secret wall will open to the west of the fire pit. Pass through the wall to the now revealed tunnel. Go across the large cavern and enter the tunnel.
- Try riding the cart (both hands should be free). After a short ride a message will appear suggesting to get Veldaban to help.
- If players placed any stone in the "Dwarven Machinery," click it and select to examine it.
- When leaving the cave, there will be two options. Select "Return to Keldagrim" and you will appear right next to Veldaban in West Keldagrim.
- Note: If you forgot to remove the stone, tell the commander you have something else to do, remove it, and come back.
- Talk to Veldaban and ask him to come with you. Go back to the secret wall and through the cavern.
- When you get back, talk to Veldaban, then try to control the Dwarven Machinery. Ask Veldaban to take the stones and he will. (If when you enter the final cavern and Veldaban is not there, log out then back in)
- Get in the cart, and when the option comes up pick these (green=left junction, yellow=right junction):
- 1 - Yellow
- 2 - Green
- 3 - Yellow
- 4 - Green
- 5 - Green
- 6 - Yellow
- 7 - Yellow
- 8 - Yellow
- 9 - Yellow
- Operate the control box and choose the option Pull Bridge Lever to lower the bridge. Veldaban crosses over.
Rescue and EscapeEdit
Head south to the cage and open the door to free the captives. Talk to Fjoila, the captive just inside the door. Tell Fjoila she should return to Keldagrim, and the captives leave. Go to the south and turn the switch to open the doorway (Veldaban helps), then go through. Re-equip your weapon.
- Watch the cutscene of an Ogre shaman transforming Brunolt into a Chaos dwarf, and in the middle of it Veldaban will cry out, attracting the Red Axe's attention.
- Run into the Grand Exchange Order Slips room behind you. You may want to turn on Protect from Missiles, as a nearby cannoneer will appear, and he can hit up to 380 if you are not praying against ranged.
- (Sometimes Commander Veldaban will disappear. Exit and reenter the cave, and he will be waiting in the room for you.) Talk to Commander Veldaban, and he will reveal that Hilda was abducted and transformed into a Chaos dwarf. Go through the options, and he will tell you about the sorting machine. Grimsson will intervene and reveal that the cannoneer defeated back at the tower in Keldagrim was in fact Hilda, who was Veldaban's lady-friend.
- Open your package and take out the metal rectangle. Use your metal rectangle on the sorting machine to stop it, and then use the turnscrew on it to unscrew it from the wall; you will then see a nicely animated sequence of you heaving the machine over revealing an escape hole in the wall behind it.
- Squeeze through the hole, ride the mine cart, and watch the cut-scene.
- Congratulations! Quest complete!
- 2 quest points
- 30,000 experience
- 30,000 experience
- 30,000 experience
- Access to the Chaos Dwarf Battlefield and the North Keldagrim mining area.
- Ability to wield the Hand cannon (There is a chance of this exploding when used, a high firemaking level decreases the chance of this happening)
- 2 extra spins on the Squeal of Fortune
Required for completingEdit
Completion of Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf is required for the following:
- The requirements for the quest were announced on 30 April 2009 as 41 Hunter, 54 Firemaking, and 54 Strength, then changed on 23 June 2009 to their final requirements.
- There were many Development diaries devoted to the creation of this quest.
- A story has been posted in the Lores and histories section that describes events leading to this quest.
- On the day of release, the spoilers read "An order has been placed with the Grand Exchange and a spoiler delivery is on its way. Please forgive us for the inconvenience."
- When you complete this quest, your Adventure's Log will say:"Veldaban and I broke into the Red Axe base. They had killed his girlfriend and wiped his memory of her; he vowed to stop them."
- Although 61 Hunter is needed to completed the quest, if you happen to have achieved 61 Firemaking before the required Hunter level it says that you have achieved all the skills needed to complete the quest. This also works in some other ways; If you already had the required Firemaking level and you don't have the required Strength level, and you reach the required Hunter level, it says that you have all skills.
- If you try to drink Veldaban's Guardsman's stout it says, "Dwarven Black Guards must go through special training before drinking this stout. You could not possibly survive it".
- While riding the cart a glitch may occur where the cart the player is riding disappears and the player floats the rest of the way.
- If you talk to drunken commander Veldaban when he falls asleep, he will talk in his sleep expressing his concerns about Hilda.
- If you examine the secret door/wall before it is opened, it will say: "An ordinary wall. You don't even know why you're examining it. Nothing to see here."
- During Brunolt's transformation, an un-unlockable music track plays.
- ^ Mod John A. New Dwarf Quest: Implementation Begins. Developer Blogs.
- ^ a b Mod Mark. Feedback and Blue Blocks. Developer Blogs.
- ^ Mod John A. Revisiting an Old Quest Series. Developer Blogs.
- ^ Mod John A. A Concept is Approved. Developer Blogs.
- ^ Mod John A. Implementation Begins. Developer Blogs.
- ^ Mod John A. Coding and Writing. Developer Blogs.
- ^ Mod Mark. Nearly Finished. Developer Blogs.
- ^ Mod John A. Within The Next Few Weeks.... Developer Blogs.
- ^ Mod John A. The Coat Thief. Lores and Histories.