|Release date||4 July 2006 (Update)|
|Combat level||28, 35, 41|
|XP per kill||104 (and 34.3 experience)|
|Assigned by||Mazchna or Achtryn|
|Examine text||I don't think insect repellent will work...|
Flesh Crawlers are medium level monsters found on level 2 of the Stronghold of Security. They are considered good training for players with combat levels of 60+. The level 28s have a maximum hit of 16, and are quite inaccurate when Mithril armour or higher is equipped, but when Steel armour or lower is equipped, they can be a bit hard as they hit at a fast rate. They are considered a good way of making money in members' worlds because they drop large numbers of Herbs, including many high level ones. They also drop mostly green and gold charms but rarely crimsons. For medium-level players, flesh crawlers offer an alternative to chaos druids, who also drop many herbs.
Their drops such as herbs, runes, and noted iron ores can be sold for a good quantity of money. They also drop Fire Runes which can also be sold for a decent quantity of money.
Due to the high accuracy and speed of the flesh crawlers' attacks, food is a necessity for weak players if they wish to stay for an extended period of time; conveniently, there is a fishing area located just outside of Gunnarsgrunn, close to the entrance of the Stronghold of Security. Salmon and trout can be caught and cooked here if a player does not wish to bring their own food from the bank. Players can cook their fish on the perpetual fire located in Peksa's helmet shop, as well as the two perpetual fires in Gunnarsgrunn Longhall. There is also a cooked meat spawn. People up to level 60 in combat could bring between 1-3 lobsters or bass for slightly quicker healing.
Flesh crawlers are aggressive against players of any level, but only for a 10 minute period after the player enters their area. After this period, they stop attacking the player. To return flesh crawlers to their aggressive state, the player must leave the area, either by walking away from the area until it's out of range on the map and returning, by leaving the floor altogether and returning, or after returning from a random event. However, logging off and on will not reset their aggressiveness.
Players between the combat levels of 40 to 55 may find flesh crawlers a solid source of experience, due to their low max hit and Aggressiveness. The level 28, 35, and 41 flesh crawlers hit a maximum of 16 damage; the accuracy of each hit increases in correspondence with the flesh crawlers' increased combat levels.
These creatures are also popular for high-levelled f2p players as well. Due to the fact they are aggressive and hit low, they are perfect for training without having to do much; one can simply bring food and turn auto retaliate on. Usually, players start training at level 35 flesh crawlers. In view of this, there is a small room with eight level 35 flesh crawlers in the Stronghold of Security, which makes them great for training at low levels. In contrast a high-levelled player, if alone, may find it beneficial to simply stand in the middle of the room, as flesh crawlers will automatically and constantly produce attacks.
A player has a chance of receiving the "bottom half of sceptre" as a drop, one of four parts that make up the sought-out Skull sceptre. For free to play, flesh crawlers will usually drop a gem with the "bottom half of sceptre". For members, flesh crawlers often drop valuable herbs
Members can make as much as 750k per hour depending on stats, selling the drops on the Grand Exchange. A Ring of Wealth used in tandem with a Gem bag can help in this area. A Dwarf cannon can be used, though this is unrecommended due to the large cost of a cannonball and their common drops of items that usually dont account for one cannonball though this is offsetted by their low health.
An update made it possible for flesh crawlers to drop black full helms, resulting in a price drop for that particular item.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Body rune 3–12 Common 12–48 Dust rune (m) 2–23 Common 20–230 Fire rune 42 Common 420 Nature rune 5 Uncommon 555
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1 Common 568 Grimy marrentill 1 Common 44 Grimy tarromin 1 Common 258 Grimy harralander 1 Common 684 Grimy irit 1 Uncommon 1,750 Grimy ranarr 1 Uncommon 2,322 Grimy avantoe 1 Uncommon 4,033 Grimy kwuarm 1 Rare 2,518 Grimy cadantine 1 Rare 2,563 Grimy lantadyme 1 Rare 8,349 Grimy dwarf weed 1 Very rare 7,998
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 34,082 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 1–476 Common Not sold Iron ore 1 Common 182 Iron ore 1–10 (noted) Common 182–1,820 Ashes 1 Common 354 Silver bar 1 Common 127 Bottom of sceptre 1 Uncommon Not sold Black full helm 1 Uncommon 414 Spin Ticket 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy (m) 1 Rare Not sold
Rare drop table drops
|Show/hide rare drop table|
- Interestingly, flesh crawlers have the same examine text as all of the Kalphite monsters.
- There was a glitch that would occasionally happen to players who obtained one un-noted iron ore from a flesh crawler, in which a player could sell it in the Grand Exchange an infinite amount of times, but only if he or she sold the single ore one at a time. It is unknown if this glitch occurred with other items. This has since been fixed.
- Flesh crawlers have the second fastest attack speed for any f2p monster, tied with Shadow-Forger Ihlakhizan and ranged skeletons in Daemonheim, and behind only Bal'lak the Pummeller.
- Before the Hitpoints/Constitution update, flesh crawlers had a max hit of 1, which would be equivalent to 10 after the update.
- For members, flesh crawlers are often fought because of their high drop rate of many fire runes, as well as their herbs, although they don't drop as many fire runes as before.
- When you have the flesh crawlers as a slayer task, and say in quick chat your current slayer task, it will say: My current Slayer assignment is: Fleshcrawlers.
- When a flesh crawler drops bottom of sceptre, they usually also drop an item from the rare drop table