|Release date||22 April 2008 (Update)|
|Quest item?||Legacy of Seergaze|
|High Alch||600 coins|
|Low Alch||400 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Examine||A legendary flail.|
The ivandis flail is a two-handed melee weapon created by the player during the Legacy of Seergaze quest, from a silvthril chain, silver sickle (b), the rod of ivandis, and an emerald. This weapon is used almost exclusively by those who have not completed The Branches of Darkmeyer (up to the point where you learn to craft the blisterwood equipment), as reaching that point gives access to superior weapons for killing vampyres/vyres. As of the Evolution of Combat, the flail functions as a halberd which means it can be used up to two squares away from an enemy.
Players with the above four components and a chisel in their tool belt may construct one after reaching a certain point in the quest. Players should first use the emerald with the silver sickle (b), granting 20 Crafting experience; then cast Enchant Level 2 Jewellery on the sickle; and finally use the sickle with the silvthril chain, granting a further 20 Crafting experience.
See below for instructions on how to make one.
A player wielding an ivandis flail
|[view] • [talk]|
Using the flailEdit
This flail is effective in damaging and killing the Vyrewatch because, despite their sufficient mind-reading ability to predict attacks and avoid damage, the flail is incredibly unpredictable and random. The sickle head further increases the unpredictability of the weapon. Thus, attackers do not hit the Vyrewatch in the intended way, rendering their mind-reading useless, but at the cost of making the flail a hard weapon to master.
However, with the introduction of blisterwood weapons (stakes, polearm and staff) which are significantly more effective against vampyres and Vyrewatch, the ivandis flail is generally only used by those who have not started The Branches of Darkmeyer up to the point where they make blisterwood weapons.
For every 50 vyrewatch corpses cremated, the player obtains better equipment bonuses when using the ivandis flail and blisterwood weapons. A message appears in the chat box "You feel more experienced with the Ivandis Flail." The current cremation count can be viewed either with the "Check" option on the flail or by searching the lectern at the south end of the Columbarium.
The bonus to blisterwood weapons is accumulated even if The Branches of Darkmeyer has not been completed. If the quest is later completed, the blisterwood weapons receive the bonus immediately.
The bonus to the equipment stats are invisible and doesn't appear in the "Show Equipment Stats" panel. The bonus is only effective when used against Vyrewatch/Vampyres. The flail gains its maximum bonuses after 500 vyre corpses have been cremated. This miniquest is a requirement for the trimmed version of the completionist cape.
Prior to the Evolution of Combat, each increment gave an additional equipment bonus of +5 in attack, strength, and defence to the flail. Following EoC, it is not clear if the equipment bonuses have changed, since there is no way to view them.
Making the flailEdit
Items needed Edit
Steps to createEdit
- Go to any furnace.
- With a sapphire and moulds in inventory, craft: 1 silver sickle, 1 silvthrill rod, and 1 silvthril chain. By default the game tries to create as many of each item as it can unless specified.
- Cast Enchant Level 1 Jewellery on the rod, which contains the sapphire. (If using a tablet, don't click break, but Use the tablet on the silvthrill rod!)
- Go to Paterdomus and descend to the Mausoleum.
- With a rope in your inventory, use the enchanted rod on the well to get a rod of ivandis. Note: If you are making multiple rods of ivandis, you still only need 1 rope.
- Now head through the gate, then the Holy Barrier, to cross the river.
- Once across the river, head south into Mort Myre Swamp, go to the Nature Grotto, and enter it.
- Use the silver sickle on the Altar of nature to get a silver sickle (b).
- With a chisel in your inventory or in your tool belt, use the emerald on the blessed sickle to get a silver sickle emerald (b).
- Cast Enchant Level 2 Jewellery on the sickle with the emerald to get an enchanted sickle emerald (b).
- With a chisel in your inventory or in your tool belt, use the rod on the chain. The two parts combine to form the ivandis flail
- Before the Evolution of Combat, this weapon used to have a special attack.
- Additionally, a fully upgraded flail had a +56 magic attack bonus which potentially made it the most accurate staff in Runescape, but since the magic attack bonus only worked against Vyrewatch and they couldn't be damaged by magic using the flail, this boost was of no use at all.
- The flail stops recording cremation count after 500.
- Despite the fact that the flail can hit flying Vyrewatch, it cannot hit aviansies which are always in flight.
- It is not allowed in the Fist of Guthix arena.
Silver sickle (b) • Ivandis flail
Holy book (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Book of balance (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Unholy book (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Ancient book (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Book of law (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Book of war (+5) (Illuminated (+8)
Citharede symbol(+8) • Holy symbol(+8) • Unholy symbol(+8) • Amulet of power(+1) • Amulet of glory(+3) • Salve amulet (e)(+3) • Amulet of fury(+3) • Split dragontooth necklace(+4) • Stole(+4) • Twisted bird skull necklace(+3) • Demon horn necklace(+5) • Amulet of zealots(-5)
White equipment • Crozier(+6) • Maces • Toktz-mej-tal(+5) • Silver sickle (b)(+5) • Wolfbane(+5) • Ivandis flail(+5) • Godswords(+4) • Granite mace(+4) • Saradomin sword(+2) • Zamorakian spear(+2) • Ancient staff(-1)
(+) Prayer bonus