|Release date||17 March 2001 (Update)|
|High Alch||3 coins|
|Low Alch||2 coins|
|Store price|| 17 coins|
|Exchange price||10 coins (info)|
|Examine||One of the 4 basic elemental Runes.|
The fire rune is one of the four basic elemental runes. Fire runes can be created from Rune essence or Pure essence through the Runecrafting skill, procured from drops by killing monsters, bought from other players, or picked up from spawns on the ground. Fire giants are among the monsters that drop fire runes often and in large quantities. Fire runes can be created using the Runecrafting skill at level 14 at the Fire altar in Al-Kharid, which gives 7 experience per essence used.
The fire rune is the most traded item on the Grand Exchange. In the 180 days leading up to 11 December 2009, 8.5 billion fire runes were traded in the Grand Exchange, and 12.9 billion in the 180 days leading up to 10 August 2010. This averages out to 829 per second, peaking on busy days at over 1650 per second. By 25 August 2010 13.1 billion had been traded in 180 days, which is 842 per second. After a brief dip, this rose again to an incredible 13.7 billion over 180 days up until 9 December 2010, an incredible 880 per second.
They are currently sold for 10 coins each in the Grand Exchange, or for 17 coins in stores when there are no fire runes in the player stock.
For a long time, fire runes had a price floor of 9 coins each in the Grand Exchange. Fire runes reached this price floor, and for over a year, they were very difficult to sell in the Grand Exchange, and would buy instantly. However, in September 2009, Jagex changed the price floor from 9 coins each to 5 coins each. Fire runes may now be easily both bought and sold on the Grand Exchange. Although they are one of the most commonly traded items on the Grand Exchange you may only buy 25,000 every four hours on the Grand Exchange.
Following the release of the Polypore staff, the price of fire runes has greatly risen due to the popularity of the staff and the fact that it is charged using 15,000 fire runes, using five per cast. This has brought the price up dramatically and caused some turbulence on the market.
Fire runes are used in a large number of spells, as listed below.
When casting a spell requiring fire runes, the fire rune requirement may be eliminated by wielding a staff that gives infinite fire runes, such as a staff of fire, fire battlestaff, lava battlestaff, mystic fire staff, mystic steam staff or mystic lava staff. Staves of fire can be bought from Zaff's Superior Staves! shop in Varrock.
Fire Strike, Fire Bolt, Fire Blast, Fire Wave and Fire Surge are the most powerful elemental spells and require fire runes, air runes, and one other rune. More fire runes than air runes are required, fire runes were much cheaper than air runes before Polypore Dungeon, but now it is much cheaper to use a fire rune supplying staff.
Fire runes are also used in god spells.
All players can cast these spells:
- Fire Strike
- Fire Bolt
- Fire Blast
- Low Level Alchemy
- High Level Alchemy
- Superheat Item
- Enchant Level 3 Jewellery
- Varrock Teleport
Only members can cast these spells:
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Fire giant 86 37, 150 Common Dust devil 93 37, 150, 300 Common Dark wizard 7, 20, 22, 23 10,18 Common Greater demon 92 37, 75 Common Black demon 172 37 Common Bloodveld 76, 81 60 Common Spiritual mage 120, 121, 123 7 Uncommon Lesser demon 82 37, 60, 120 Common Harpie bug swarm 33 60 Common Gargoyle 111 37, 75 Common Cockroach soldier 83 1–60 Common Vyrelord 194 80 Common Vyrelady 194 80 Common Flesh Crawler 28,41 42 Common
This item can also be bought or sold at:
- Aubury's Rune Shop in Varrock (300 in stock)
- Apprentice Clara in Burthorpe (300 in stock)
- Baba Yaga's Magic Shop on Lunar Isle (1,000 in stock)
- Betty's Magic Emporium north of Port Sarim (300 in stock)
- Ali Morrisane's stock of elemental runes after completion of the Rogue Trader miniquest
- Zamorakian Mage in the Wilderness (1,000 in stock)
- Void Knight Outpost magic shop (1,000 in stock)
- Magic guild (1,000 in stock)
- Lundail's Arena-side Rune Shop in the Mage Arena lobby (1,000 in stock)
- Fire runes were once used to obtain an onyx gem from the TzHaar shop, but it took about 3 hours to sell the 540,000 fire runes needed to obtain enough tokkul. All these runes would have cost 3,780,000 coins at 7 coins per fire rune to buy an Amulet of Fury. However this is no longer possible because you are not able to sell items to TzHaar shops for Tokkul anymore;
- Jack used a fire and an air rune to make fire in the First Age;
- Fire runes are the only elemental runes to not have their own runecrafting gloves;
- Maximum amount buyable on the GE is 25,000.