|This article is about the the standard variant; for the variant encountered while Dungeoneering, see Fire giant (Daemonheim).|
- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||10 May 2002 (Update)|
|XP per kill||425 (and 140.2 experience)|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|Examine text||A very large elemental adversary.|
|Assigned by||Chaeldar, Sumona, Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
Fire giants are the second strongest giants in RuneScape and they are well known for their combat and Slayer experience and gold charm drop rate. Like all giants, they have high life points but low defence for their combat level. They attack with melee and ranged, and can deal as much as 335 life points of damage per hit. They are particularly weak to slashing weapons, and so a chaotic longsword or abyssal whip can prove very effective in defeating them. They seem to have a good chance of dropping items from the rare drop table, making camping them a decent moneymaking method.
They only attack with ranged when the player either initiates combat or attempts to attack from outside the giants melee range. Because their melee attack seems to be much weaker than their ranged attack, it is recommended to let the fire giant attack you first, as then they will only use their melee attack.
The Waterfall Dungeon requires the player to complete a large portion of the Waterfall Quest to access the area. After the quest, Glarial's amulet and a rope will always be needed to enter the dungeon, reducing the player's inventory space. The dungeon contains two rooms with many fire giant spawns, and it is rather cramped for better training.
Waterfall Dungeon resource dungeonEdit
The Baxtorian Falls resource dungeon, located within the Waterfall Dungeon, contains 15 fire giants and requires level 35 Dungeoneering to enter. As it is inside the Waterfall Dungeon, the player must have done the appropriate parts of Waterfall Quest, as well as have Glarial's amulet, and a rope. Alternatively, a hoardstalker ring can be used to teleport directly there. Because of the higher requirements, this dungeon tends to be less crowded than the outer area of the Waterfall Dungeon. Unlike the Chaos Tunnels, a cannon can be set up in this area, allowing a very fast kill rate. The resource dungeon is more spacious than the outer Waterfall Dungeon.
Fire giants can be found in three rooms inside the Chaos Tunnels. They are more convenient to get to than the giants in the waterfall.
While the tunnels do not have the effect of being in the Wilderness, all but the most remote entrance to the tunnels are located within the Wilderness, so players must choose to either risk player killers or take a very long walk. The non-wilderness route, safe from player killers, is located under the statue just south of the sawmill in Varrock, leading through the Dagon'hai area and most of the chaos tunnels. Completion of What Lies Below is required to use this route and completion of the Hunt for Surok subquest is useful, allowing all portals in the tunnels to be usable. The various recommended rooms located in the tunnels are as follows:
- The first room of fire giants is just west of the Giant rock crabs room. The rock crabs are accessible directly via the rift entrance northeast of Edgeville marked #2 on the Chaos Tunnels map. Using the west portal in this room will take the player to the fire giants area.
- The second room containing fire giants is just south of the room that contains Moss giants to the north-west rift entrance marked #4 on the Chaos Tunnels map. These fire giants are actually fairly remote, requiring a decent walk from any entrance which easily results in players getting lost. The shortest routes to this room actually go through the other rooms with other fire giants anyway, so this room is usually only used as an overflow room. Bank runs from here are cumbersome, so players slaying here will probably want to consider only picking up abbreviated drops.
- The third room of fire giants is east from the Dust devils on rift entrance marked #1 on the Chaos Tunnels map. These fire giants are also remote and barely used at times. Protect from melee or Deflect melee is highly advised as there are several Mummies that can hit very high on the way. The fire giants here are much more cramped then the other two rooms meaning it is possible to train here quickly without moving around. It is highly recommended to use Dust devil protection in case you accidentally attack one on the way. Otherwise use entrance marked #4, run south past the fire giants to the Zamorak group to the Giant rock crabs and use the southernmost portal in the crab room to end up in the fire giants. Bank runs are cumbersome unless you are on Ancient Magicks.
The Smoke Dungeon from Desert Treasure quest has a number of fire giants, and is usually empty of players. There are 4 fire giants located in the large central chamber, at the corners of the room. This Dungeon requires the player to wear either a face mask, Gas mask, Masked earmuffs, slayer helm, or full slayer helm. Without a mask item the player's health will drop very quickly due to smoke inhalation; an environmental hazard present within the dungeon which rapidly hits for around 200 Lp. However, you CANNOT DIE from the smoke. The giants are not confined, so players will need to do a little running around.
There are a number of fire giants in the Brimhaven Dungeon, which requires a toll of 875gp per trip (exempt from toll if a player has ever acquired the Karamja Gloves 3) to access. These giants are now a good option for both training and slayer, as the wild dogs are unaggressive to players who are over combat level 101. Using the Brimhaven Dungeon can be a convenient method of banking the drops of the fire giants: Teleport to Ardougne or Ardougne cape, House Teleport (Chipped) or boat from the ardougne docks, repeat. The easiest way to get there would be by using the Karamja lodestone, which is just east of the dungeon.
Deep Wilderness DungeonEdit
The Deep Wilderness Dungeon, slightly southeast of the Wilderness agility course, contains 6 fire giants at the very end of the dungeon. It is very rare to find others training here, as fear of player-killers wards away most people. This dungeon is excellent if other locations are already filled as it is close to a bank and is an isolated location. Remember that this location is extremely dangerous as you are still in high-level Wilderness and may be killed by players at any time.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Big bones 1 Always 555
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 225,614 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Weapons, armour and ammunitionEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Steel hatchet 1 Common 32 Mithril sq shield 1 Common 596 Fire battlestaff 1 Uncommon 8,546 Rune arrow 12 Uncommon 1,788 Rune scimitar 1 Rare 14,889 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,329 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,290
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Fire rune 37,100,150,200 Common 777–4,200 Chaos rune 5 Uncommon 210 Blood rune 5 Uncommon 1,095 Law rune 2,4 Uncommon 720–1,440
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1 Common 563 Grimy marrentill 1 Common 62 Grimy tarromin 1 Common 50 Grimy avantoe 1 Common 4,721 Grimy harralander 1 Uncommon 200 Grimy ranarr 1 Uncommon 1,996 Grimy irit 1 Uncommon 2,689 Grimy cadantine 1 Uncommon 3,119 Grimy lantadyme 1 Rare 9,899 Grimy kwuarm 1 Rare 2,749 Grimy dwarf weed 1 Rare 11,766
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 15, 25, 60, 120, 294, 300, 335, 360 Common Not sold Shoulder bone 1 Common Not sold Fire giant bone 1 Common Not sold Anagogic ort 20 Common Not sold Lobster 1 Uncommon 79 Steel bar 1 Uncommon 1,042 Strength potion (2) 1 Uncommon 375 Long bone 1 Rare Not sold Curved bone 1 Rare Not sold Spin ticket 1 Rare Not sold Court Summons 1 Very rare Not sold Loop half of a key 1 Very rare 24,615 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Spirit sapphire 1 Unknown Not sold Spirit Emerald 1 Unknown Not sold
- ^ Only obtainable during Fur 'n' Seek
- ^ Only obtainable during Rag and Bone Man
- ^ Only when daily limit has not been reached and if you are in a clan
Rare drop tableEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances when equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450, 3,000, 9,000, 10,000, 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,761 Uncut emerald 1 Common 3,285 Uncut ruby 1 Common 4,737 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 8,499 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 24,615 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 40,026 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 16,534 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,032 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,701 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,329 Rune javelin 5 Rare 880 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,040 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,290 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,296 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,452 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 835,050 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,470 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 32,050 Shield left half 1 Very rare 66,362 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,281 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 12,400 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,269,900 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,350–74,500 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,508,400 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 4,105,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 3,392,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 89,088 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 10,515 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 17,250–24,150 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 82,425–115,395 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 99 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 138 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 10,500–315,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 5,640–22,560 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,540 Law rune 45 Rare 16,200 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 4,900–11,858 Blood rune 50 Rare 10,950 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 37,500–300,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 454,000–908,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 83,250–277,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 24,450–1,222,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 454,200–2,422,400 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 11,200 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,028,000 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,822,000–26,754,000 Rune bar 1, 50, 150 (noted) Rare 12,983–1,947,450 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 67,320 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 111,950–1,119,500 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 138,660–554,640 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 59,230–592,300 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 51,000 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,619 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 70,847–3,542,350 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 153,310–1,073,170 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,512,810 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,500 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 19,580–606,980 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,022 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 48,700–9,740,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold
- Even though the TokKul-Zo is supposed to work against "TzHaar, Fire and Obsidian creatures", it has no effect on Fire Giants; as no charges are used. This may be due to the fact that the TokKul-Zo is designed for use against Lava creatures.
- A hidden update on 9 July 2013 caused fire giants to no longer be agressive.
- These monsters create a very quiet rustling or hissing sound all the time, which gets louder as you get closer to the giant. According to the Audio Options interface, this is considered an ambient sound. It probably represents their internal fire, visible from above a giant's head.
- These monsters were popular for training ranged prior to the Evolution of Combat, but have since lost popularity due to their new ability to retaliate with ranged attacks of their own.
- Before the graphical updates, the Fire Giants' weapon was often thought to be a Dragon 2h sword. This was before Dragon 2hs were released in the game, so this similarity was noted by many players. One player even asked in the third Postbag from the Hedge:
|“||Hi, I would like to ask the fire giant a question. Why is it that you have the only dragon two handed sword in the game, and you don't even drop it? Yours truly, Jabbaz||”|
— Jabbaz 
The reply was:
|“||If you had the only dragon two-handed sword in the game, would you drop it?||”|
— Fire giant 
- ^ a b Jagex. Postbag 3 - "Barbarians, Tree Spirits, and an embarrassed Demon!", letter #Letter 3. Postbags from the Hedge. *