|Release date||10 May 2002 (Update)|
|XP per kill||424.8 (and 140.1 experience)|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|Examine text||A very large elemental adversary.|
|Assigned by||Chaeldar, Sumona, Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
Fire giants are the second strongest giants in RuneScape and they are well known for their combat and Slayer experience and gold charm drop rate. Like all giants, they have high life points but low defence for their combat level. They attack with melee and ranged, and can deal as much as 335 life points of damage per hit. They are particularly weak to slashing weapons, and so a chaotic longsword or abyssal whip can prove very effective in defeating them. They seem to have a good chance of dropping items from the rare drop table, making camping them a decent money-making method.
The Waterfall Dungeon requires the player to complete a large portion of the Waterfall Quest to access the area. After the quest, Glarial's amulet and a rope will always be needed to enter the dungeon, reducing the player's inventory space. The dungeon contains two rooms with many fire giant spawns, and it is rather cramped for better training.
Waterfall Dungeon resource dungeonEdit
The Baxtorian Falls resource dungeon, located within the Waterfall Dungeon, contains 15 fire giants and requires level 35 Dungeoneering to enter. As it is inside the Waterfall Dungeon, the player must have done the appropriate parts of Waterfall Quest, as well as have Glarial's amulet, and a rope. Alternatively, a hoardstalker ring can be used to teleport directly there. Because of the higher requirements, this dungeon tends to be less crowded than the outer area of the Waterfall Dungeon. Unlike the Chaos Tunnels, a cannon can be set up in this area, allowing a very fast kill rate. The resource dungeon is more spacious than the outer Waterfall Dungeon.
Fire giants can be found in three rooms inside the Chaos Tunnels. They are more convenient to get to than the giants in the waterfall.
While the tunnels do not have the effect of being in the Wilderness, all but the most remote entrance to the tunnels are located within the Wilderness, so players must choose to either risk player killers or take a very long walk. The non-wilderness route, safe from player killers, is located under the statue just south of the sawmill in Varrock, leading through the Dagon'hai area and most of the chaos tunnels. Completion of What Lies Below is required to use this route and completion of the Hunt for Surok subquest is useful, allowing all portals in the tunnels to be usable. The various recommended rooms located in the tunnels are as follows:
- The first room of fire giants is just west of the Giant rock crabs room. The rock crabs are accessible directly via the rift entrance northeast of Edgeville marked #2 on the Chaos Tunnels map. Using the west portal in this room will take the player to the fire giants area.
- The second room containing fire giants is just south of the room that contains Moss giants to the north-west rift entrance marked #4 on the Chaos Tunnels map. These fire giants are actually fairly remote, requiring a decent walk from any entrance which easily results in players getting lost. The shortest routes to this room actually go through the other rooms with other fire giants anyway, so this room is usually only used as an overflow room. Bank runs from here are cumbersome, so players slaying here will probably want to consider only picking up abbreviated drops.
- The third room of fire giants is east from the Dust devils on rift entrance marked #1 on the Chaos Tunnels map. These fire giants are also remote and barely used at times. Protect from melee or Deflect melee is highly advised as there are several Mummies that can hit very high on the way. The fire giants here are much more cramped then the other two rooms meaning it is possible to train here quickly without moving around. It is highly recommended to use Dust devil protection in case you accidentally attack one on the way. Otherwise use entrance marked #4, run south past the fire giants to the Zamorak group to the Giant rock crabs and use the southernmost portal in the crab room to end up in the fire giants. Bank runs are cumbersome unless you are on Ancient Magicks.
The Smoke Dungeon from the Desert Treasure quest has a number of fire giants, and is usually empty of players. There are 4 fire giants located in the large central chamber at the corners of the room, along with others scattered throughout the dungeon. Players accessing the dungeon through the passage from Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon will find two clusters of them to the north. This Dungeon requires the player to wear either a face mask, Gas mask, Masked earmuffs, or slayer helm. Without a mask item the player's health will drop very quickly due to smoke inhalation; an environmental hazard present within the dungeon which rapidly hits for around 200 lifepoints. The smoke itself cannot kill, but it can lower lifepoints enough to make entering combat risky.
There are a number of fire giants in the Brimhaven Dungeon, which requires a toll of 875gp per trip (exempt from toll if a player has ever acquired the Karamja Gloves 3) to access. These giants are now a good option for both training and slayer, as the wild dogs are unaggressive to players who are over combat level 101. Using the Brimhaven Dungeon can be a convenient method of banking the drops of the fire giants: Teleport to Ardougne or Ardougne cape, House Teleport (Chipped) or boat from the ardougne docks, repeat. The easiest way to get there would be by using the Karamja lodestone, which is just east of the dungeon.
Deep Wilderness DungeonEdit
The Deep Wilderness Dungeon, slightly southeast of the Wilderness agility course, contains 6 fire giants at the very end of the dungeon. It is very rare to find others training here, as fear of player-killers wards away most people. This dungeon is excellent if other locations are already filled as it is close to a bank and is an isolated location. Remember that this location is extremely dangerous as you are still in high-level Wilderness and may be killed by players at any time.
Fire giants use Ranged and melee attacks to fight, and have no special abilities or attacks. Their Smoke Dungeon habitat, however, deals rapid damage to unprotected players, so players wishing to kill them there should wear protective face gear; a face mask, masked earmuffs, or any slayer helm variant. Any of these will block the environmental damage.
Fire giants are weak to slash weapons. This means the most effective weapons to use on them are dual-wielded drygore longswords, chaotic longswords, chaotic claws, or an abyssal vine whip with an enhanced excalibur. Additionally, a dwarf multicannon can be used in the waterfall dungeon, waterfall resource dungeon, Brimhaven dungeon and deep wilderness dungeon locations, for faster kills.
For players who struggle to kill fire giants without losing a lot of health, there are several methods that can be used to heal without bringing food along. Fire giants have an uncommon drop of cooked lobsters, which heal up to 800 life points at a time. The Regenerate ability can be used to heal while out of combat, at the cost of adrenaline; it is recommended to use this when at 100% adrenaline. The Vampyrism aura, scrimshaw or superior scrimshaw of Vampyrism, the off-hand enhanced excalibur sword, or the Soul Split ancient curse can all be used to heal as damage is dealt to the fire giants. Guthan's equipment is not recommended for use in the Smoke Dungeon, but can be used in all the other locations to heal lifepoints. The Bones to Peaches spell can be used to turn the fire giants' 100% big bone drop into healing peaches, if unlocked from the Mage Training Arena, or a bunyip Summoning familiar can be used to heal over time.
If players choose to use Soul Split, they should forego the use of Bones to Peaches, and should instead use a combination of the bonecrusher and demon horn or split dragontooth necklace Dungeoneering rewards to automatically restore Prayer points as they kill fire giants.
Players who have bought the Herbicide Dungeoneering reward are recommended to bring it to fire giants, as they commonly drop low level herbs. Players may also find a gem bag useful, if they wish to collect the uncut gems that fire giants drop.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Big bones 1 Always 646
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 264,552 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Weapons, armour and ammunitionEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Steel hatchet 1 Common 38 Mithril sq shield 1 Common 461 Fire battlestaff 1 Uncommon 8,649 Rune arrow 12 Uncommon 1,812 Rune scimitar 1 Rare 14,873
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Chaos rune 5 Uncommon 220 Blood rune 5 Uncommon 1,990 Law rune 2, 4 Uncommon 966–1,932 Nature rune 2 Uncommon 576 Fire rune 20 Rare 980
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Grimy guam 1 Common 564 Grimy marrentill 1 Common 125 Grimy tarromin 1 Common 44 Grimy avantoe 1 Common 4,412 Grimy harralander 1 Uncommon 130 Grimy ranarr 1 Uncommon 3,126 Grimy irit 1 Uncommon 2,548 Grimy cadantine 1 Uncommon 2,307 Grimy lantadyme 1 Rare 9,004 Grimy kwuarm 1 Rare 3,511 Grimy dwarf weed 1 Rare 9,373
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Coins 15–3,000 Common Not sold Shoulder bone 1 Common Not sold Fire giant bone 1 Common Not sold Anagogic ort 20 Common Not sold Lobster 1 Uncommon 237 Steel bar 1 Uncommon 1,030 Strength potion (2) 1 Uncommon 537 Long bone 1 Rare Not sold Curved bone 1 Rare Not sold Spirit sapphire 1 Rare Not sold Spirit emerald 1 Rare Not sold Spirit ruby 1 Rare Not sold Court Summons 1 Very rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
- ^ Only obtainable during Fur 'n' Seek
- ^ Only obtainable during Rag and Bone Man
- ^ Only when daily limit has not been reached and if you are in a clan
Rare drop tableEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–350,3,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,255 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,751 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,546 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 5,843 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 32,996 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 42,167 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 15,502 Dragonstone 1 Rare 9,984 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,452 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,131 Rune javelin 5 Rare 840 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,280 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,356 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,419 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,478 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,529,400 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 21,988 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,603 Shield left half 1 Very rare 63,247 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,600 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 13,800 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,272,600 Rune arrow 150 Rare 22,650 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 107,406 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 16,022 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 134,875–188,825 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 131,350–183,890 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 973 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 424 Pure essence 1,000–1,500 (noted) Uncommon 15,000–22,500 Nature rune 60–80 Rare 17,280–23,040 Soul rune 20 Rare 3,780 Law rune 45 Rare 21,735 Death rune 50 Rare 13,150 Blood rune 50 Rare 19,900 Raw swordfish 125–250 (noted) Uncommon 51,375–102,750 Raw shark 250 (noted) Uncommon 327,500 Big bones 150–180 (noted) Uncommon 96,900–116,280 Coal 550–700 (noted) Uncommon 132,550–168,700 Adamantite ore 150–250 (noted) Uncommon 294,000–490,000 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 8,800 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,067,000 Rune bar 1 Common 13,906 Rune bar 50 (noted) Very rare 695,300 Clean toadflax 35–45 (noted) Uncommon 140,630–180,810 Clean snapdragon 30–35 (noted) Uncommon 150,900–176,050 Clean torstol 16–34 (noted) Uncommon 133,536–283,764 Snapdragon seed 1 Common 2,539 Torstol seed 1 Uncommon 36,153 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 6,519 Magic seed 3–7 Rare 414,126–966,294 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,137,860 Yew logs 450–550 (noted) Rare 171,900–210,100 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- Even though the TokKul-Zo is supposed to work against "TzHaar, Fire and Obsidian creatures", it has no effect on Fire Giants; as no charges are used. This may be due to the fact that the TokKul-Zo is designed for use against Lava creatures.
- A hidden update on 9 July 2013 caused fire giants to no longer be agressive.
- These monsters create a very quiet rustling or hissing sound all the time, which gets louder as you get closer to the giant. According to the Audio Options interface, this is considered an ambient sound. It probably represents their internal fire, visible from above a giant's head.
- These monsters were popular for training ranged prior to the Evolution of Combat, but have since lost popularity due to their new ability to retaliate with ranged attacks of their own.
- Before the graphical updates, the Fire Giants' weapon was often thought to be a Dragon 2h sword. This was before Dragon 2hs were released in the game, so this similarity was noted by many players. One player even asked in the third Postbag from the Hedge:
|“||Hi, I would like to ask the fire giant a question. Why is it that you have the only dragon two handed sword in the game, and you don't even drop it? Yours truly, Jabbaz||”|
— Jabbaz 
The reply was:
|“||If you had the only dragon two-handed sword in the game, would you drop it?||”|
— Fire giant 
- ^ a b Jagex. Postbag 3 - "Barbarians, Tree Spirits, and an embarrassed Demon!", letter #3. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.