Fermenting vats are used to prepare the various types of ales, as well as cider when brewing. There are two vats in RuneScape. The first and most reliable vat is located in Keldagrim, on the second floor of the bar in East-Keldagrim. The other slightly lower quality vat is located at Port Phasmatys, underneath the trapdoor in the bar.
The difference in the vats is not very substantial, and usually just results in the Port Phasmatys vat taking slightly longer. The Keldagrim vat is slightly faster, and has a slightly lower rate of failure than the Port Phasmatys vat. The difference in the two vats is mostly an inconvenience, not a serious problem.
- Place 2 buckets of water into the vat
- Add two Barley malt items.
- (Optional) Add a bag of "The stuff."
- Place the special ingredients in the vat. See the Types of ales and ingredients
- Add one pot of ale yeast.
- Wait at least 12 hours before checking. The ale will probably be ready in 2-3 days.
- Collect finished ale (or drain bad ale, if it failed).