|Release date||9 April 2002 (Update)|
Family Crest is a quest during which the player retrieves the Fitzharmon family crest pieces from the three brothers to return it to their father.
The Fitzharmon family crest has gone missing, and the family honour has been lost.
Can you find the crest and return it to Dimintheis in Varrock?
There are three different rewards available, but you can only choose one; so choose carefully!
|Start point||Dimintheis in south-east Varrock, next to the Fancy Dress Shop.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||The below skill requirements are not boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
To start, speak with Dimintheis, whose house is in the fenced-off area in the south-eastern section of Varrock. He'll tell you that he belongs to the noble family of Fitzharmon, but without his family's crest, he can't prove his heritage and take back his estate from the King.
His sons took the crest when they left to defend Varrock against the hordes of zombies sent forth by an evil necromancer, and he doesn't know what happened to them afterwards. He has, however, heard rumours that his eldest son, Caleb, is now an aspiring fish chef and is currently staying with a friend just outside the western gates of Varrock.
Caleb can be found by Gertrude's house, located just outside the western entrance of Varrock. Talk to him, and he'll say that he and his brothers broke the crest into three parts to avoid any one of them inheriting their father's wealth. In their shame, they took a piece of the crest each and set out their own ways, unable to face their father.
Since a broken crest is of no use to anyone, he agrees to exchange it for some fish that he needs for a special and unique salad he is currently making. What you need is a shrimp, salmon, tuna, bass, and swordfish — all cooked. If you need to catch the fish yourself, head west towards Gunnarsgrunn to fish the salmon (fly) and then teleport to Catherby where you can fish for the tuna and swordfish (harpoon or barehanded), shrimp (small net) and the bass (large net). If you are fishing and cooking your own fish, you will need up to level 50 Fishing and 45 Cooking for the swordfish. There is a range in Catherby just north of the bank where you can cook your fish.
Once you have all of it, give the cooked fish to Caleb and he'll give you the crest part as promised, along with a little bit of info: the gem trader in Al Kharid might know more about the location of one of his brothers, Avan.
Make sure that you ask Caleb about his brothers' whereabouts, otherwise the gem trader's dialogue options will not include Avan.
Talk to the gem trader in Al Kharid about Avan. He remembers talking to a 'high and mighty' person of noble blood, looking for jewellery made from 'perfect gold'; he had directed him north towards the gold pit in the desert, the Al Kharid Mine.
Head there and talk to Avan, the man with a yellow cape wandering around the pit entrance. He tells you that he is trying to win the affection of a certain lady by gifting her a ruby-studded ring and necklace made out of 'perfect' gold. Unfortunately, the stuff here in the desert isn't nearly good enough for him. He'll tell you about a dwarf named Boot who might know the whereabouts of this 'perfect' gold.
Make your way to the Dwarven Mines below the Ice Mountain, located slightly north-east of Falador and south-west of Edgeville. Boot can be found in a cavern to the south-west of the general store; talk to him and ask him about the elusive gold. He'll tell you that the highest quality of gold can be found in a small dungeon near Witchaven, although it isn't really easy to get to it.
Make sure to get good food and armour before heading into the Witchaven dungeon, as there are monsters that may harm lower levelled players (level 35 Hobgoblins, level 67 Ogres and level 92 Hellhounds). Home teleport to Ardougne and head east outside the city entrance and then south to an "old ruin entrance", and climb down it.
Keep following the path and then head south to a small caged area that holds a couple of hellhounds, along with the 'perfect' gold rocks. To the north and south are two rooms with levers in and outside of them - you'll have to do a lever puzzle to unlock the gate to the caged area.
Remember that if you logout while doing the puzzle you will have to start over:
- Head to the northern lever located outside the room and pull it up.
- Head to the southern lever, located inside the room and pull it up.
- Return to the northern room and pull the lever outside the room down.
- Enter the northern room and push the lever in there up.
- Leave the room and pull the one outside the northern room up.
- Go back to the southern room and pull the inside lever down.
- Now you are free to enter the room with the hellhounds.
Mine two gold ores in the room and head to any furnace to smelt them into perfect gold bars, there's one just west of the Al Kharid lodestone. Next, use your rubies to make the perfect ring and perfect necklace by using the perfect gold bar on the furnace.
The last brother — Johnathon — is staying in the Jolly Boar Inn, near the Lumber Yard. He is on the 1stUK], in one of the bedrooms. Climb up the stairs to talk to him; he'll tell you that he got bit by a floor[poison spider. Use the antipoison on him, and he'll be very grateful and relate to you about what happened. Apparently, Johnathon attempted to kill a blood demon called Chronozon. Unfortunately, Chronozon defeated him, and in his efforts to escape, he was bitten by the poisonous spider. When you ask him for the third part of the crest, he says that he dropped it while fighting Chronozon and that you must go retrieve it.
Chronozon is located in the Edgeville Dungeon, which is in the ruined building just south of the bank. Climb down into the dungeon and keep going north along that path, taking a left at the farthest corner.
You may make use of the safespot in the north-west side of the cave, behind the space between the stalagmite and the torch. You may have to kill the aggressive poison spiders, but they can't attack you once you are in position.
You must damage Chronozon with Blast spells (they can be auto-cast) in the order of Air, Water, Earth, and Fire Blast. Landing a hit on him with all the four spells will significantly weaken him and make him extremely vulnerable to other types of damage.
Trying to reuse a Blast spell before Chronozon has been weakened will spawn a chatbox message saying the spell "seems to have done all it will to Chronozon". If you do not use the four blast spells, Chronozon will return to full health at every attempt to kill him. If you teleport or logout during the fight, you will have to recast the spells, even if you had already weakened him.
Once you've used all the Blast spells to weaken Chronozon, you can use any attack style to finish him off.
When you finally do kill him, grab the crest part and leave.
The crest reassembledEdit
Congratulations, quest complete!
- 1 quest point
- Family gauntlets (Chaos gauntlets, Cooking gauntlets, Goldsmith gauntlets)
- Access to the hellhounds in Witchaven Dungeon
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
Required for completingEdit
Completion of Family Crest is required for the following:
- Defender of Varrock
- Legends' Quest
- Varrock Tasks:
- Hard: "Hand-Me-Downs"
- Seers' Village Tasks:
- Hard: "Gonna Need a Bigger Range"
- While talking with the Gem Trader, he says "I know there's gold out there, in them there sand dunes," a reference to the saying "there's gold in them there hills," (Referencing a gold rush in real life).
- After the PvP Wilderness was returned, Chronozon was hard for some players to deal with because he was in a PvP area, even though Jagex had promised to move all quests out of the wilderness. After some ranting in the forums (now archived), a tunnel was added that took him out of the Wilderness to his current, non-PvP location.
- Orry, the NPC watching over the beacon just north of the Jolly Bear inn, will refuse to talk to the player if Johnathon is still ailing. After the player has used an anti-poison on Johnathon, the usual options for beacon-NPC's are available again.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, chaos gloves increased bolt spell's max hit by 40. After the evolution of combat they stopped working due to a bug. It has since been fixed and they now provide a 10% damage bonus when using bolts spells.
- When first receiving the Family Gloves the player can instantly destroy them and talk to Dimintheis again to receive the cooking gloves without talking to Caleb again.
- Johnathon still states that Chronozon must be damaged with each of the four spells of death, despite Evolution of Combat removing the Death rune requirement from the blast spells.
- You used to be able to use Deathtouched darts to complete the quest without 59 magic, but it was updated to require 59 magic to start.
|Miscellaneous||Quick guide • Transcript|