Falling rocks were a RuneScape event that occurred at 7:03 PM UTC on 2 July 2011. It was a hint for the upcoming Clan Citadels, which was released 26 July, as hinted by Mod Petal. It consisted of large rocks falling in certain areas, accompanied by screen shaking.
Following the earthquake, several large boulders, which fell from the sky, were left in various locations throughout Gielinor. The following locations have experienced earthquakes and rocks falling from the sky:
- Castle Wars
- Mobilising Armies
- Duel Arena
- Port Phasmatys (One of the tortured souls was stuck in the earthquake)
- Falador east bank
- Grand Exchange
- Lumbridge Castle (The northern tower's door cannot be opened)
Once Clan Citadels were released, all of the boulders were removed.
- If an NPC happened to be standing in the area one of the boulders fell on top of, they will be glitched inside of the boulder with no apparent way out, as it is not possible to range, mage, or halberd them.
- When a player logs out at a location where the rocks are, then logs back in when the rocks have fallen, they are automatically moved to an area nearby where there are no rocks. They are not moved via teleportation, but they actually run out of the rocks at a speed much faster than a normal player can run.
- A hidden update shifted the rocks slightly.
- ^ Jagex. Falling rocks? (video). YouTube. 4 July 2011. "Rocks falling from the sky in Edgeville. What could this mean?"*