The fairy ring transportation system is unlocked after starting the Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen quest and getting permission from the Fairy Godfather. It consists of 49 teleportation rings spread across the land and provides a relatively fast means of accessing often remote sites in RuneScape, as well as providing easy access to other realms.
Players can enter the fairy ring system from any node while wielding either a Dramen staff or Lunar staff, ending up at the master fairy ring in Zanaris. If Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift is completed, no staff of any kind is needed. From there, using three letter codes, they can teleport to most rings within the system. Several rings, however, require players to complete quests before they can be accessed. If the selected code has no corresponding fairy ring, players will be teleported a few squares from the main ring.
Currently, there are 47 working fairy ring codes out of a total possible 64 codes, and in addition, 3 locations requiring multiple codes.
Only the completion of Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains is needed to access the fairy rings. Players only have to do the first few steps of Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen and need none of the requirements.
Fairy rings have been around since the introduction of fairies into Gielinor by Guthix, possibly earlier. The name of their creator has been "lost to history".
Using fairy ringsEdit
To use the fairy rings, players must complete the following quests:
- Priest in Peril
- Nature Spirit
- Lost City
- Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains
- Started Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen
Note: Some rings cannot be used until Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift is at least partially completed.
One may quickly access the fairy rings in any of the following ways:
- By teleporting to the Abyssal Area with the mask of the Abyss, which teleports you one square from the fairy ring;
- By using a ring of slaying to teleport to the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon;
- By using a Tokkul-Zo to teleport to the TzHaar Fight Cave;
- By teleporting to the Yanille lodestone and then running north;
- By teleporting to the Edgeville lodestone and then running east across the bridge and south;
- By activating the monastery teleport feature on any of the Ardougne cloaks and then running east;
- By using the max cape to teleport to the Max Guild and accessing a skill portal attuned to the Zanaris fairy ring.
- By using a Ring of wealth to teleport to Miscellania, exiting the castle and running north.
Fairy ring codesEdit
When using fairy rings in RuneScape, the inventory interface is replaced by a list of combinations that the player has previously accessed.
Entering an invalid code, or a code whose requirements you do not meet, will cause you to be teleported a few spaces away from the main fairy ring.
Due to an update on 9 September 2009, once you have visited a location once, you can click on its code in the log at the bottom right of your screen. Previously, you would have to re-enter the code every time. The sort order of the list can be changed using the right-click menu on the icon at the top right of the panel - it can be sorted by location or code. A quick way to navigate to often-visited places is to remember the location of the slider on the side of the log, e.g.: Piscatoris - the slider is in the middle, Northwest of Yanille, the slider is just above centre, etc.
|Combination||Name in Fairy Ring Logbook||Nearby Points of Interest||Location on Map|
|AIQ||Asgarnia: Mudskipper Point||Mogres, Anvil, Altar, Rimmington, Port Sarim, Asgarnian Ice Dungeon.|
|AJQ||Dungeons: Dark cave south of Dorgesh-Kaan|
(only accessible after completing Death to the Dorgeshuun quest)
Note: You will need a light source with you because it will be dark.
|Dorgesh-Kaan city Agility course and molanisks.|
|AJR||Kandarin: Slayer cave south-east of Rellekka||Fremennik Slayer Dungeon entrance, Golden Apple Tree.|
Can be used in conjunction with a ring of slaying to quickly reach any destination on the fairy ring network. Note that this is the fastest way to enter the fairy ring network.
|AKQ||Kandarin: Piscatoris Hunter area||Falconer, Piscatoris Fishing Colony, Summoning Obelisk, Phoenix Lair.|
|AKS||Feldip Hills: Jungle Hunter area||Hunter jungle area, Chompy hunting grounds, Gnome glider, closest ring to Oo'glog.|
|ALP||Feldip Hills: Near Gu'Tanoth|
Requires at least partial completion of Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift.
|Exit south of Jiggig (requires pickaxe - tool belt works).|
|ALQ||Morytania: Haunted Woods east of Canifis||Can be used in conjunction with the Ectophial to quickly access the fairy ring network, but this ring is surrounded by aggressive Vampyres and Leeches. A farming patch is near the ring to the north; using the ring being a quicker route to the patch than using the Ectophial. Note that the vampyres can attack you while you are inside the ring.|
|ALS||Kandarin: McGrubor's Wood||Seers' Village, Coal truck mining site, Fishing Guild, Hemenster.|
|BIP||Islands: Polypore Dungeon||Duel Arena, Mage Training Arena, Polypore Dungeon, Brilliant wisp colony|
|BIQ||Kharidian Desert: Near Kalphite hive||Kalphite Lair, Shantay Pass, Bedabin camp, Goats.|
|BJQ||Dungeons: Ancient cavern|
(only accessible after completing much of Barbarian Training, at least up to pyre ships). Before the ring can be used, bittercap mushrooms must be used there; with 5 bittercap mushrooms in inventory and spade in your tool belt, use one of the mushrooms on the 'Enchanted lands' spot near the centre of the ring.
|Baxtorian Falls (Via Aged log nearby the Waterfiends), Kuradal and her Dungeon.|
|BJR||Other realms: Realm of the Fisher King|
(only accessible after the restoration of the Fisher Realm in the Holy Grail quest).
|Brimhaven through exit using a magic whistle.|
|BKP||Feldip Hills: South of Castle Wars||Chompy hunting area, Castle Wars, Jiggig, Teak tree, level 95 wisp colony (Divination).|
|BKR||Morytania: Mort Myre, south of Canifis||Nature Spirit altar.|
|BLP||Dungeons: TzHaar area||TzHaar Fight Cave, Furnace, TzHaar Fight Pit.|
|BLR||Kandarin: Legends' Guild||Legends' Guild, Thormac's tower, Witchaven, Ardougne, Keep le Faye.|
(only accessible after the completion of The Fremennik Trials quest).
|Advisor Ghrim for managing kingdom, Bush patch.|
|CIQ||Kandarin: North-west of Yanille||Yanille, Tree Gnome Village, Castle Wars, Fruit tree patch.|
|CJR||Kandarin: Sinclair Mansion (east)||Rellekka, Seers' Village, Maple trees.|
|CKR||Karamja: South of Tai Bwo Wannai||Shilo Village, Tai Bwo Wannai, Nature altar, Hunter Karamja area, Karambwanji fishing spot.|
|CKS||Morytania: Canifis||Kharyrll Teleport location, Mort Myre swamp, Mushroom patch, bridge to the Paterdomus area, Burgh de Rott Ramble starting point, closest ring to the Morytania Slayer Tower.|
|CLR||Islands: Ape Atoll|
West of the Ape Atoll Agility Course. Use requires at least partial completion of Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift. Note that you can use the ring to get to Zanaris without starting Fairy Tale III
|Notes: A Monkey greegree (ninja) is needed to climb through the hollow log, after the log is made hollow. The mango can only be picked during the quest Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift.|
|CLS||Islands: Jungle spiders near Yanille||Hazelmere (if you haven't completed While Guthix Sleeps), Jungle Spiders, Yanille.|
|DIP||Islands: Mos Le'Harmless|
Isle on the coast of Mos Le'Harmless. Use requires at least partial completion of Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift.
|You need to repair the bridges with 8 planks, 16 nails and a hammer or else you can't get on the island. You must use normal planks, not any other wood. One bridge must be repaired while standing by the fairy ring and the other bridge must be repaired when standing on Mos Le'Harmless. Trouble Brewing and the entrance to the Mos Le'Harmless Caves can be found nearby, as well as a Summoning obelisk.|
|DIS||Misthalin: Wizards' Tower||Wizards' Tower, Draynor Village, Lumbridge Swamp, Runecrafting Guild.
Can be used in conjunction with the Wicked Hood to allow fast access to the fairy ring network. Since the Wicked Hood offers unlimited teleports to the Wizard's Tower, this makes it superior than using a charge from a Slayer Ring or an Amulet of Glory.
|DJP||Kandarin: Tower of Life||Can be used in conjunction with Ardougne Cloak 1 or higher to quickly access the fairy ring network, Ardougne, Port Khazard, Tower of Life, Bush patch, nearby Musician.|
|DJR||Kandarin: Sinclair Mansion (west)||Sinclair Mansion, Rellekka, Seers' Village.|
|DJS||Tirannwn: Prifddinas (Clan Amlodd)|
Requires completion of Plague's End
|A summoning obelisk, the Prifddinas God Statue, and the Ithell Clan. Using this fairy ring also gives the memoriam crystal 15 to the player.|
|DKP||Karamja: South of Musa Point||Karambwan fishing spot, Gnome glider, Shipyard.|
|DKQ||Dungeons: Glacor Cave||Bane ore mine and Glacors. Requires Ritual of the Mahjarrat to be completed.|
|DKR||Misthalin: Edgeville||Edgeville, West of Varrock, Edgeville Canoe station, Grand Exchange and Varrock through Agility shortcut.
Can be used in conjunction with the Amulet of Glory or the Edgeville Home Teleport for relatively quick access to the Fairy Ring Network.
|DKS||Kandarin: Snowy Hunter area||Fremennik Province, Polar Hunter area, Keldagrim Entrance, Rellekka.|
|DLQ||Kharidian Desert: North of Nardah||Hunter desert area, Desert Lizards, Nardah, Ruins of Uzer.|
|DLS||Dungeons: Myreque hideout under The Hollows|
Use requires completion of In Search of the Myreque.
|Canifis, Mort'ton, Barrows.|
Enclosed areas Edit
|Combination||Name in Fairy Ring Logbook||Points of interest||Image|
|AIR||Islands: South of Witchaven||None, unless a Treasure Trail co-ordinate locates here.|
|AIS||Other realms: Naragi homeworld||Objects can be interacted with to cause text to appear. Requires The World Wakes.||N/A|
|AJS||Islands: Penguins near Miscellania||Penguins. No other access.|
|ALR||Other realms: Abyss||Abyssal leeches, guardians, walkers, and abyssal demons.|
|BIR||Other realms: Sparse Plane||None, this is the area where you meet Fairy Very Wise. Use requires at least partial completion of Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift.|
|BIS||Kandarin: Ardougne Zoo unicorns||Unicorns and two normal trees. You need this code for the Ardougne Tasks|
|BKQ||Other realms: Enchanted Valley||Wood dryad, Centaurs, Stags and Rabbits. No other access. Also while fishing, mining, or woodcutting, the past guardian random events come back such as river troll from fishing, tree spirit from woodcutting and rock golem from mining.|
|BLQ||Other realms: Yu'biusk||The lost goblin land. Needs the quest Land of the Goblins. If you have finished The Chosen Commander, opening the strange box there will teleport you to the Bandos Throne Room.|
|CIS||Other realms: ScapeRune (Evil Bob's island)||Evil Bob|
|CKP||Other realms: Cosmic Entity's plane||Cosmic being and Starflower growing location. No other access.|
|CLP||Islands: South of Draynor Village||Two normal trees.|
|DIR||Other realms: Goraks' Plane||Location of Goraks. No other access.|
|DLR||Islands: Poison Waste south of Isafdar||Unlocks a music track, Exposed. No other access.|
|Kethsi||This is a hidden location, which was added in a hidden update on 14 June 2011. It is used in the quest Ritual of the Mahjarrat.|
|Fairy Queen's Hideout||To be effective, the player must have Nuff's certificate in inventory until you are allowed to enter the hideout without it during Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift. When the player types these codes in, returning after each coordinate, they will go to the Fairy Queen's hideout used during Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen instead of the penguin island.|
|Orks Rift||You can go to this plane during and after Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift. After the quest, you can fight against the cursed ork statues.|
When you teleport to a fairy ring, you appear in the centre of the ring. At this time you are sometimes but not always safe from attack by monsters using melee (and perhaps from ranging, magic, and dragonbreath, too, but this is unconfirmed). Most monsters will ignore you if you do not move once you appear, including high-level monsters like goraks. However, some monsters will attack with melee as soon as you appear. Vampyres in the Haunted Woods (ring ALQ) and their neighbours, the ghasts in the Mort Myre Swamp (ring BKR) are known to do this, as well as the Wolves (rings DJR and CJR) near the Sinclair Mansion and the Jungle Spiders east of Yanille (ring CLS).
In all cases, once you leave the centre of the ring you can be attacked. Also, if you attack a creature while in the centre of ring, it will retaliate.
When you walk to the centre of a ring to use it, however, you are never safe. A monster can attack you in the time between reaching the centre and having the ring activate. Note that you can only walk to the centre of a ring when wielding a Dramen staff or Lunar staff unless you have completed Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift.
History of added ringsEdit
When the fairy ring transportation system was released, there were only 34 fairy rings.
- AKQ (the Piscatoris Hunter area) and DKS (the Rellekka Hunter area) were introduced with the Hunter skill on 21 November 2006.
- AJQ to Dorgesh-Kaan was introduced on 20 March 2007, bringing the number of fairy rings up to a total of 37.
- BLQ to Yu'biusk was introduced on 12 November 2007, making the total 38. Requires completion of Land of the Goblins.
- ALQ to Haunted Woods was introduced on 7 May 2008, but the ring existed before as one-way route to Zanaris.
- BJQ to the Ancient Cavern was added silently in December 2009, bringing the total to 39. It must be rebuilt with a spade and five bittercap mushrooms before it will work.
- BIR, DIP, CLR, and ALP were released on 13 May 2010 with the quest Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift, bringing the total to 43.
- DIR to AKS brought the teaser for Kethsi on 14 June 2011, bringing the total of multiple coded locations to 3.
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat gives access to the DKQ code, bringing the total to 44.
- On 12 February 2013, CIS was added as the code to travel to ScapeRune where previously the Evil Bob random event occurred.
- On 19 November 2013, players were able to once again visit the Naragi home world via AIS after completing The World Wakes.
- On 10 November 2014, DJS was added with the release of the second batch of Prifddinas.
Fairy ring mapEdit
- Before the release of the fairy rings, Will o' the wisps could be found appearing in many areas of RuneScape other than the swamps they are known to appear in. These seem to mark many of the areas where fairy rings would later be added.
- In European legend, mushroom circles that popped up overnight were called fairy rings; this is how Jagex got the name and image for the rings. Also, it's been said in legend that fairy rings are meant to protect the user from harm as long as they stand in the circle, which makes them useful for meditation. This is a feature of the ones in the game, as well.
- A one-way fairy ring can also be found in Zanaris Market, and if used teleports the player directly behind Al-Kharid bank, near the Fremennik shipmaster that takes players to Daemonheim.
- The DKR Edgeville fairy ring appears to have been either damaged or partially covered in debris after the events of the Ritual of the Majharrat epilogue, but despite this it still works.
- According to the Ramokee Skinweaver, the fairy rings inspired her to create the many fungal creatures inside the Polypore Dungeon.
- The new animation for teleporting using the rings appears to be the player dissolving into a swarm of butterflies or tiny fairies.
- There is only one fairy ring in the whole kingdom of Asgarnia.
- Sometimes when you teleport to Zanaris from a fairy ring, a monster from that location will follow you in. This can include Jackals, Chinchompas and Penguins.
- If you go to the fairy ring DIR-AKS and look at the world map, everything seems much darker than it should be.
- The icon for sorting the Travel Log by name or code is the same icon used to represent sell offers in the Grand Exchange.
- The examine text for fairy rings is "Better not eat them!"
- The two closest fairy rings are AJS and CIP, being in sight of one another. However, they are separated by an ocean.
|Part 3 of the Fairy Tale quest series|