This article is about the retired Random Event. For the quest monster, see Evil Chicken (Recipe for Disaster).
|Release date||1 August 2005 (Update)|
|Examine|| A fowl bird.|
It's big, dangerous, evil...and a chicken?
The Evil Chicken's origins are unclear, but one theory, presented in the Book on chickens, says that he was created in the Second Age by a mage who was attempting to summon a demon and bind it to his will. The mage's spell failed and instead of a demon, he summoned a chicken. The mage grew angry at his failure and banished the chicken to the Abyss. The chicken managed to survive and grew in power. Years later, the same mage attempted to summon another creature, but instead the chicken appeared again. The legend does not say what happened to the mage, but it strongly implied that the Evil Chicken killed him out of revenge.
A differing theory, also summarized in the book on chickens, states that the Evil Chicken simply started out as a chicken of above-average intelligence. He became aware that he and his brethren were prisoners of the humans. He organised the chickens and rebelled against their captors, however all the chickens were slaughtered with ease. The chicken blamed his kin on the coup's failure and swore revenge on all chickens and humans.
Yet another theory was presented by a chicken in the Postbag from the Hedge, who described the Evil Chicken as tormented and isolated in his pen and desperate to escape. He trained himself using logs as dummies and one day He hopped over the gate to freedom.
The Evil Chicken's various letters in Postbags from the Hedge seem to support that he was an ordinary chicken that grew tired of his captivity and escaped. He never mentions a failed rebellion, though as previously stated he often encourages chickens to rebel. He appears to have been born with no powers besides his intelligence, since he had to learn magic in evening classes.
The Evil Chicken is a megalomaniac and filled with a deep seated hatred for his fellow chickens and especially humans, his former captors. He also appears to be insane, given the many contradicting motivations he claims to have. In one case, he claims that the primary motivation for becoming evil and powerful was his hatred of chicken feed. He instead prefers roasted chicken, which he claims keeps his feathers shiny and clean. Later, he claims that his motivation for becoming evil was to avenge all the chickens killed by adventurers, despite apparently killing and eating them himself.
In the 2012 Easter Event, he competes with the Chocatrice to see who can destroy the most Easter eggs. he claims to be filling in for the Easter Bunny after he fell into a volcano, although the Chocatrice claims that the Easter Bunny fell down White Wolf Mountain.
If you asked the Evil Chicken who had the leading of the competition and his team had less eggs found than the chocatrices team your character would answer "Awww...". If he is winning, then he will say "We are in the lead, comrade. Nothing can stop us."
Before the update which altered random events on 25 February 2009, the Evil Chicken used to appear before a player at random times, no matter where they were, even under water (in which case he would appear wearing a diving helmet). He immediately began attacking them, using a magic based attack which was low-hitting but extremely accurate and rapid. This made him very dangerous for players who were low on life points or inattentive. Players were forced to either fight and kill the chicken or run away from it.
The Evil Chicken could not be attacked by anyone besides the player to whom he appeared. If the player took too long to kill him, or if they were in range but not attackable (such as if they were in a different room), the Evil Chicken would get bored and leave. The chicken could not move from the spot in which he appeared, so if a player stepped on top of him, instead of moving to the side as other monsters would, he would shout "Get off of me!" and use a special attack which would push the player aside.
The Evil Chicken's combat stats varied depending on the player's combat level. There was also a discrepancy between the max hit as reported by Monster Examine and the actual max hit. The reason for this is unknown, and it was never fixed.
|Player level||Evil Chicken level||Lifepoints||Real Max hit||Monster Examine max hit|
The Evil Chicken yelled the following while attacking:
- "Bwuk bwuk bwuk"
- "Flee from me, [player's name]!"
- "Begone, [player's name]!"
- "Bwaaaauuuuk bwuk bwuk"
When he appeared underwater, the phrases were different:
- "Swim faster, [player's name]"
- "Bwaaaauuuuk glub glub"
- "Even here you cannot escape me, [player's name]"
- "My fury is deeper than the oceans!"
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Raw chicken 1 Always 203 Bones 1 Always 83 Feather 24–750 Always 360–11,250
- Evil Bob suggests that there is an Evil Chicken counterpart in ScapeRune named "Cheery Old Chicken".
- It is possible to make a familiar attack the Evil Chicken. When killed in this manner, he has 10 life points and drops nothing.
- When he appeared as a random event, players were able to climb up a ladder or staircase, then go back down, where the Evil Chicken would remain, but was no longer aggressive.
- If you tried to attack the Evil Chicken as it attacked another player, you would get the message "Don't worry, he's not after you" in the chat box.
- If you have completed the Lost City Quest, as you enter the shed in Lumbridge swamp and appear in Zanaris, you will see an animated shrine dedicated to the Evil Chicken called the Chicken Shrine.
- It is thought that the Evil Chicken could be of Russian heritage due to his dialect and use of words during the 2012 Easter Event.
- If you use a Chocotreat on the Evil chicken during the 2012 Easter Event, he will mention that chocolate may well be his weakness but then swiftly denies it.
- The Evil Chicken shows cannibalistic tendencies, as during the 2012 Easter Event he requires you to turn baby chicks into Evil Drumsticks. It is unknown what the Evil Chicken does with the 3 drumsticks he takes from you during the event.
- It is possible that if you were standing where the Evil Chicken was during the 2012 Easter Event before it started, you would be glitched under him because it was otherwise impossible to be under him.
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 1 - "Poultry, Dragons and Zombies", letter #1. Postbags from the Hedge. *
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 25 - "The trouble with trolls", letter #7. Postbags from the Hedge. *
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 2 - "Magic, Hans and Bankers!", letter #3. Postbags from the Hedge. *
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 13 - "The Evil Chicken defends his reputation.", letter #4. Postbags from the Hedge. *
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 18 - "Melzar's Mad Musings.", letter #1. Postbags from the Hedge. *
Bee keeper • Cap'n Arnav's Chest • Certer • Drill Demon • Evil Bob • Evil Twin • Freaky Forester • Kiss the frog • Gravedigger • Lost and Found • Maze • Mime • Pillory • Pinball • Prison Pete • Quiz Master • Sandwich lady • Surprise Exam • Big fish • Candlelight • Dr. Ford • Drunken Dwarf • Ent • Evil Chicken • Exploding rock • Jekyll and Hyde • Lost Pirate • Poison Gas • Rick Turpentine • River troll • Rock Golem • Security Guard • Shade • Strange plant • Swarm • Tangle Vine • Tree spirit • Watchman • Whirlpool • Zombie