For the version won on the Squeal of Fortune, see lucky elysian spirit shield.
|AKA?||ESS, Elysian, Ely|
|Release date||15 September 2008 (Update)|
|High Alch||1,200,000 coins|
|Low Alch||800,000 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Exchange price||53,647,310 coins (info)|
|Examine||An ethereal shield with an elysian sigil attached to it.|
The elysian spirit shield is a level 75 Ranged shield that was released on 15 September 2008. It requires 75 Defence and 75 Prayer to wield, as well as completion of Summer's End. The shield is made by attaching an elysian sigil, a very rare drop from the Corporeal Beast, to a blessed spirit shield. This process requires 90 Prayer and 85 Smithing, as well as completion of Summer's End. Players without the required skill levels to create the shield may ask Brother Bordiss in the Edgeville Monastery to combine the sigil and the blessed spirit shield, for a fee of 1,500,000 coins.
A player wielding the elysian spirit shield
|[view] • [talk]|
Like the arcane and divine spirit shields, the elysian spirit shield reduces all incoming damage by 30%, and 6% of the original damage dealt is drained from prayer points. For example, a hit of 2,000 would be reduced to 1,400 and 120 prayer points would be drained. This effect only works as the player has adequate prayer points; without prayer the effect does not work.
- Prior to the Evolution of Combat, the elysian spirit shield's damage reduction ability reduced damage taken by 25% with no prayer drain, but only had a 70% chance of activating. On average, the shield reduced incoming damage by 17.5%. The Evolution of Combat changed the elysian spirit shield's ability to match that of the divine spirit shield.
- Despite being a Ranged item, the elysian spirit shield does not have a Ranged level requirement to use. This is because prior to the Evolution of Combat, the shield was not a Ranged-specific item, but more closely matched a melee shield due to its melee and Ranged defensive bonuses.
- In classical Greek mythology, there is a realm in the underworld of Hades called the Elysium Fields, or the Elysian Plains. This is the final resting place for the souls of the heroic and the virtuous.
- On 1 February 2010, the spirit shields' appearances were changed to match their inventory pictures. The elysian spirit shield's colour was changed to a vibrant cyan from a previous greyish blue. Previously, the elysian spirit shield and spectral spirit shield were close to same shade of blue.
- At one point this item held the second highest value of any item in RuneScape, second only to the Christmas Cracker.
- A lucky elysian spirit shield may be won as a very rare prize from the Squeal of Fortune. The lucky version has the same stats and damage reduction ability, with a slightly different colouration.
- An update on 15 March 2011 caused the elysian sigil, along with the other sigils, to become a guaranteed drop from the Corporeal Beast. This was patched within an hour.
Spirit shields and sigils
|Lucky spirit shields|
Holy book (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Book of balance (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Unholy book (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Ancient book (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Book of law (+5) (Illuminated (+8) • Book of war (+5) (Illuminated (+8)
Citharede symbol(+8) • Holy symbol(+8) • Unholy symbol(+8) • Amulet of power(+1) • Amulet of glory(+3) • Salve amulet (e)(+3) • Amulet of fury(+3) • Split dragontooth necklace(+4) • Stole(+4) • Twisted bird skull necklace(+3) • Demon horn necklace(+5) • Amulet of zealots(-5)
White equipment • Crozier(+6) • Maces • Toktz-mej-tal(+5) • Silver sickle (b)(+5) • Wolfbane(+5) • Ivandis flail(+5) • Godswords(+4) • Granite mace(+4) • Saradomin sword(+2) • Zamorakian spear(+2) • Ancient staff(-1)
(+) Prayer bonus