This article is about the Elf race. For the slayer assignment, see Elf warrior.
The Elves are among the longest lived of all the races of RuneScape. Elves are tall and graceful and the females are known for their beauty. They are generally human-looking, but have elongated ears, a less-stocky build and greater natural beauty and usually dress in green. They support the crystalline goddess Seren, who came to Gielinor with them from their ancestral homeland. Elves have no need for human technology or magic, but instead opt for crystal-based weaponry, technology and magic power, granted by Seren.
The average Elf has far greater agility and nimbleness than a human, yet some seem to be weaker than more formidable and trained humans in terms of physical strength, as seen with the Tyras Guard, and have a longer lifespan, drastically increasing their wisdom, knowledge and experience.
Unlike the other potent magical races of RuneScape or its adjacent dimensions, such as the fairies and the Mahjarrat, the Elves are at least partially dependent on Gielinor's inherent rune magic created by Guthix using the Stone of Jas, as seen in the Book on Baxtorian which tells us that Baxtorian was himself a master of "rune lore", using the stones to control the elements, though much of the magic they utilise does not appear to require runestones, but rather the power of Seren, such as their enchanted Crystal bow.
The Elves also possess some knowledge of Runecrafting, Summoning, Farming, Fishing and Herblore due to the rare talismans, charms, seeds, fish and herbs in their possession, as well having even obtained Dragon weapons, forged by the Dragonkin and discovered by the Fairies of Zanaris. Elves are also "much more observant" than men (and, indeed, gnomes and cave goblins).
Elves, who entered Gielinor in the early first age, are one of the oldest races to wander around Gielinor, a title they only seem to share with the humans.
After Guthix shaped Gielinor in the first age, Seren, the goddess of crystal, led the elves into the plane through the World Gate. There they built an enormous city out of crystal which still exists today. This city, known as Prifddinas, is probably the oldest settlement in the history of Gielinor. The eight elven clans, of whom the only known clans are the Cadarn, Iorwerth, and Ithell clans, although the Ithell clan is mentioned briefly. The Cadarn clan, the most powerful and militaristic clan, was the biggest of clans. All eight clans each had a tower at each corner of the city. In the middle of the city stood the Tower of Voices, which was the most important structure in Elven society. Also, deep below the city lay an enormous library containing enormous amounts of knowledge.
The elves were the first to discover the death altar, hidden deep inside the mountains. To protect the power from the altar, they built the temple of light.
During the early ages, elves had settlements across all of Gielinor. They ruled over all the lands now known as Kandarin, and it is possible they are the race that the light creatures are a remnant of. They lived in peace with other races such as humans and, most noticeably, the gnomes.
The God War:Edit
When the second age came to an end and the God Wars broke out, elves fled from mainland Gielinor into the forests of Isafdar, where Prifddinas stood. Isafdar, being isolated from the rest of the world by the impassable mountains around the lands, guaranteed the safety of the elves during the God Wars. As they retreated beyond the mountains so many years ago, there are few scholars who know very much at all about the elves. Most traces of the elves' existence were wiped out during the wars.When Guthix awoke from his slumber, he put an end to the God Wars by creating the Edicts of Guthix, preventing the gods to walk upon Gielinor. Seren was also bound to the edicts, and was forced to leave Gielinor. The grand library and the world gate were sealed, cutting off the source of the elves' crystal. However, the elves could still make contact with Seren through the Tower of Voices.
After the God War:Edit
Once the God wars were put to an end, elves were again able to make contact with the rest of the world. Many Cadarn clan elves traveled through the Mountain pass Arandar and soon a new kingdom was created, ruled by the elven king Baxtorian and queen Glarial. Once again, they made ties with humans and gnomes.
However, the Iorwerth clan soon made advantage of the fact that Priffdinas was lacking forces, and began to take control over the city. The elves fought back against the Iorwerth clan and in order to prevent them from winning, the elves converted the entire city into crystal-form. The crystal has been hidden inside the temple of light ever since.
Once king Baxtorian heard about the current events in Priffdinas, the elves made a mass exodus in attempt to reclaim the city. The mountain pass of Arandar had been closed off by Iorwerth clan. He sent five of his best elves through the Underground Pass, the only remaining route, but only one of them returned. The elf reported seeing "elves killing elves in the streets of Prifddinas". After years of failed campaigning, they retreated back to their kingdom, only to find it destroyed. King Baxtorian, who was in deep sorrow when he learned of his wife's death, buried himself alive inside the Baxtorian falls, which were named after him.
The Iorwerth clan took control over Prifdinnas, but some elves retreated into Lletya and continued to fight.
Elves are the mage class of Mobilising Armies, an indication of their extraordinary proficiency with the mystic arts, surpassing that of Dwarves or Goblins. Following the combat triangle, Elves are weak against Goblins (range class) but strong against Dwarves (melee class). Light Elves have a combat level of 175, 4800 life points and a discipline level of 110 while the Heavy Elves have a combat level of 350, 9600 life points and a discipline level of 110 (as these are the normal, non-boosted stats of these Elves, it seems that the Elven race is indeed far superior magically to the Human race) Light Elves wear lavender robes, and wield different elemental staves. The Heavy Elves also wield the basic elemental staves but wear dark blue shaded robes. The Examine info on both squads says "An uncommon sight, mercenary elves are familiar with battle". While exploring, they find logs.
There is a Champion for each of the races of Humans, Dwarves, TzHaar, Werewolves, Elves and Gnomes in the Champion's Challenge, but only the Human champion, Leon D'Cour, and the gnome champion, Glophren, may be challenged at this time.
Current Settlements Edit
- Prifddinas - the largest elven settlement, a mighty city that dates from thousands of years ago, and is grown entirely from crystal seeds. Although no human has ever entered its walls, there are rumours of its beauty and the genius of its architecture - rumours which are repeated throughout every text on elven culture that has survived to make it to Varrock. The quest Within The Light reveals that the city has been reverted to seed, explaining its absence on the world map.
- Lletya - a village found on the edge of Isafdar, inhabited by rebel elves.
- Elf Camp - an Ioswerth campsite near Prifddinas.
- West Ardougne - the Mourners of the city are now known to be elves in disguise.
The elves worship a strange deity called Seren, who communes with the crystal seeds that the elves use to build almost everything.
Sometime in the Fourth Age, the elves broke into two separate groups. Some elves wanted to continue following Seren, whilst others wanted to summon a "Dark Lord", who many believe to be Zamorak but could possibly be Zaros or a previously unknown deity. Thus started the civil war. Skirmishes often break out within the forest of Isafdar as the rebels fight to reclaim their lost lands. This could easily be the end of this once powerful race.
The RuneScape-based Funorb game Armies of Gielinor shows that the elves played a large role in the God Wars.
According to a Postbag from the Hedge, "the elvish language, on the other hand, is far more complex, for their tongues are as agile as their minds, and twice as bewildering. The nearest approximations I can make are as follows:
Lletya = *Ch*let-uh-ah (the '*ch*' indicates a slight rolling of the sound at the base of the tongue, as if you were to attempt to clear your throat quietly and politely) Isafdar = Iss-av-daarr (in which the 'I' is pronounced like the 'i' in 'thin', and the 'r' is rolled quaintly)."
This is very similar to the Welsh language.
- Recently, some of the elves are beginning to become less-trustworthy. Many seek to break into the Temple of Light, or resurrect "The Dark Lord". The identity of the Dark Lord is unknown, but most people speculate that it is either Zamorak or Zaros.
- On the 13th of Raktuber, in the Year 138, a group of Elves raided the Mobilising Armies Command centre. Initially out for loot, Lord Marshal Brogan managed to negotiate with them and the rogue Elves eventually agreed to work as mercenaries in the minigame.
- Baxtorian - King of the Elven Empire in Kandarin during the Fourth Age
- Glarial - Baxtorian's wife who was lost during the Fourth Age
- Ilfeen - An elven crystal singer
- Eluned - An elven crystal singer
- Islwyn - Sells crystal bow or shield and also is the grandson of Glarial
- Lord Iorwerth - Leader of the Iorwerth clan
- Head Mourner - Chief of the Mourners in West Ardougne
- Arianwyn - Current leader of the rebel elves
- Junior Cadet Finda - Female Elf of Mobilising Armies who is near uncovering a conspiracy which she claims is beyond the ken of humanity
- A strange courier - Male Elf of the 2010 Easter event, who you are to deliver a package from the Easter Bunny to; the first Elf a free player was capable of meeting
- Idris - A rebel elf, who meets the player outside the exit of the Underground Pass at the beginning of Regicide, but is shot down by two elves from Iorwerth Clan
- Gwir- Elven scribe in the Lletya library who helps note down the player's accomplishments in the Plague quest series
- Oluien - Representative of Seren at the Gielinor Games
- Endwyr - The Emissary of Seren
- Daiglolas - Safety keeper of the Flash Powder Factory
Elves are one of the 'races' who have champions of champions in the Champions' Challenge Distraction and Diversion. It is not currently possible to fight the elf champion. Many players expect a future update will allow this champion to be fought, like a 2009 update allowed Glophren, the gnome champion, to be fought.
Some elves in Lletya can be pickpocketed at 85 Thieving, giving 353.3 experience per successful attempt, with chances double loot available at 95 Thieving and 85 Agility. Elves are one source of high-level Farming seeds. These are not recommended as a training method due to the high failure rate. If thieving from elves, it is suggested to use Goreu due to his proximity to the bank where rapid healing is possible.
Pickpocketing these 70 times is a possible Daily challenge.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 240, 280, 350 Common Not sold Prickly pear seed 1 Common 1 Sunchoke seed 1 Common 1 Fly trap seed 1 Common 1 Jug of wine 1 Common 55 Death rune 2 Common 228 Nature rune 3 Common 999 Fire orb 1 Uncommon 2,439 Butterfly flower seed 1 Uncommon 220 Barberry seed 1 Uncommon 1 Snape grass seed 1 Uncommon 6,219 Potato cactus seed 1 Uncommon 132 Gold ore 1 Uncommon 393 Diamond 1 Uncommon 3,696 Reed seed 1 Uncommon 2,416 Grapevine seed 1 Rare 2,328 Key token 1 Rare Not sold Wishing well bush seed 1 Rare 133 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold
- Plague City
- Underground Pass
- Roving Elves
- Mourning's Ends Part I
- Mourning's Ends Part II
- Within the Light
- Meeting History - minor appearance of an elf named Haluned appearing outside the barrier and teleporting away
- Waterfall Quest
- Most of the words in the Elvish language are derived from the Welsh language. For example, Seren is Welsh for "star", Mawrth is Welsh for "March" and "Tuesday", Prifddinas is Welsh for "capital city", and Iorwerth, Islwyn and Eluned are names in the Welsh language.
- Elves live to be extremely old. As Mawrth mentioned, an elf in their 30s is a mere child. And the elves flourished under Baxtorian, an elven king during the fourth age, for over 6000 years.
- An Elf (Haluned) is seen in Meeting History.
- Oluien, Endwyr and the courier (for the 2010 Easter event) are the only elves available for free players.
- When talking to an Elf, it may say "Stay back, human. You don't know what you're dealing with," which is an exact quote from the first Artemis Fowl book. The quote in question is said by Holly Short (who is also an elf) to Artemis Fowl when they meet for the first time.
- Elves like to drink honeyed tea made with a few of their own secret ingredients to make it special.Postbag from the Hedge 23
Man • Woman • Pompous Merchant • Farmer • H.A.M. Member • Warrior woman • Rogue • Cave goblin • Master Farmer • Guard • Fremennik citizen • Bearded Pollnivnian bandit • Bandit • Knight of Ardougne • Pollnivnian bandit • Yanille watchman • Menaphite Thug • Paladin • Gnome • Hero • Elf • Dwarf trader