|Release date||26 November 2008 (Update)|
|XP per kill||440.7 (and 145.4 experience)|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|Examine text||An elite dark mage with lots of combat experience.|
Elite Dark Mages are magic-based monsters found in the Black Knights' Fortress dungeon. They were released along with the grandmaster quest While Guthix Sleeps. During Nomad's Requiem, a mage, ranger and warrior are sent to kill Nomad, but he defeats all of them with great ease.
Elite dark mages attack with a large variety of combat spells, the most powerful of which is Earth Wave. They also have the ability to use prayer, so it is suggested to bring at least 2 forms of attack style to kill them with. Eventually they will run out of prayer so players can kill them. It will just take a little longer to do so. Also, there is a short break between their attacks when they switch their protection prayers. Wearing full Dagon'hai robes or full Elite black armour will make them and others in the dungeon non-aggressive.
- Their prayer is 100% effective, unlike the Kalphite Queen's prayer which only boosts defence. However, Verac's set does penetrate their prayers.
- Smite does not help drain their prayer, and neither does the special attacks of the Ancient mace or Dragon Scimitar.
- They will switch prayer against a particular combat style after taking a total of 100 to 150 life points of damage since the last prayer change, poison excluded.
- They run out of prayer eventually and become vulnerable to every attack style.
- They will only run out of prayer after they have been hit 20 times.
- This monster uses Weaken, Confuse, and Curse to lower stats, so restore potions are advised.
Armour and WeaponsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Black robe top 1 Uncommon 83 Battlestaff 1 Rare 8,400 Mystic air staff 1 Rare 36,862
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Chaos rune 25 Uncommon 1,025 Dust rune 4–10 Common 36–90 Air rune 11–40 Common 143–520 Nature rune 1–6 Rare 116–696 Fire rune 5–28 Common 60–336 Blood rune 1–2 Rare 278–556 Death rune 3–6 Rare 501–1,002 Soul rune 4 Very rare 496 Fire talisman 2 Rare 3,836
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 81–300 Common Not sold Apple pie 1 Rare 120 Big bones 1 Always 449 Earth orb 2 Rare 2,674 Clue scroll (medium) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 167 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
- Since they run out of prayer after 20 hits, if you attacked one Elite dark mage once and leave it alone, then the prayer would last forever. This also applies to the other monsters in the dungeon.
- Monster Examine states that Elite dark mages have a max hit of 94. However, their actual max hit is 190, as the strongest spell they use is Earth Wave.