|Release date||8 October 2013 (Update)|
|Examine||The aged tree dominates with its huge presence.|
An Elder tree is a high-levelled members-only tree that can be cut for elder logs at level 90 Woodcutting. When cutting, players will obtain 325 experience per log, which can be fletched into an elder shortbow at level 90 Fletching, or an elder shieldbow at level 95 Fletching. Elder logs may also be burned by players with level 90 Firemaking for 444.5 Firemaking experience each.
Elder trees are unique in that they are individually cut by players, instead of being shared between them. Elder trees may be chopped for five minutes before the tree will become depleted of branches, and becomes inactive for that player on all worlds until it regrows. Elder trees will deplete themselves of branches regardless of if a player continues to chop at the tree or not. It takes approximately 10 minutes of in-game time for an elder tree to regrow its branches, becoming active again. As such, logging out and logging back in 10 minutes later will leave the tree still in its cut state.
After depleting an elder tree of its branches, players often relocate to a different location to continue to harvest elder logs while waiting for other elder trees to regrow.
At level 91 Woodcutting, each elder tree on average yields roughly 5 to 10 elder logs. At level 96 Woodcutting, each elder tree on average yields roughly 5 to 11 logs. In rare instances upwards of 20 elder logs have been obtained.
|Fairy ring blr, Seers' Village lodestone, Ardougne Teleport, Ardougne lodestone, Ardougne cloak, Sixth-Age circuit|
|South of Yanille|
|North-west of Tree Gnome Stronghold bank||Due west of the spirit tree in the stronghold|
|South of Draynor Village bank||Amulet of glory, fairy ring DIS, Draynor lodestone|
|North of Falador Farm, south-east of Falador.||Cabbage-port using explorer's ring (3 or 4), Draynor lodestone, Falador Teleport|
|South of Varrock, north of the Rat Pen, or west of East Varrock Mine. South of the Zamorak prayer altar.||Varrock lodestone, Varrock Teleport|
|Near magic trees, south-west of Lletya||Crystal teleport seed, Tirannwn quiver, Tirannwn lodestone|
|Piscatoris hunter area||Phoenix lair teleport, fairy ring akq (then go south), Eagles' Peak lodestone, memory strand teleport (then north-east)|
|South of Edgeville, near the Stronghold of Safety.||Edgeville lodestone, Wilderness sword, amulet of glory, skull sceptre|
|Directly south of Melzar's Maze, or west of POH Portal in Rimmington||Rimmington tablet, clan vexillum, Teleport to House (if your house is in Rimmington), skills necklace, Port Sarim lodestone|
Player-grown elder treeEdit
Elder saplings can be planted in the elder tree patch located in the Crwys Clan district of Prifddinas, taking at least 70 hours (just under 3 days) to fully grow. Sior will watch over an elder tree sapling, requesting a payment of 25 morchella mushrooms in return.
- There are a number of Easter eggs related to the Elder tree. These include:
- Using compost on the tree gives the message "It's a nightmare to get out of the ground."
- Using blue flowers on the tree results in a message saying "Hmm, Elder Flowers."
- Using purple flowers on the tree results in a message saying "Mmm elderflowers."
- Using any type of Summoning scrolls on the tree results in a message saying "5 was the best.", a reference to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
- Using exactly 5 Summoning scrolls on the tree results in the message "I used to be a woodcutter like you, until I took an arrow in the knee.", another reference to Skyrim.
- Using an enchanted lyre on the tree results in the message "Respect your elders!"
- Using white berries on one results in "How cordial.".
- Using a ring of stone on a tree gives the message "I'd kiln for one of those".
- With the release of the trees, a blank white area appeared next to the Exiled Kalphite Hive, which contained many Elder trees, crystal trees, elder pyre logs and funeral pyres. This was used to test the new trees before release.
- The Elder tree north of the cabbage patch was removed on 11 December 2013 with the release of The Bird and the Beast before being added back six days later on 17 December 2013.
- With the release of elder trees, the evil elder tree had its Woodcutting and Firemaking levels increased to level 90 each from 85. This was to match the requirements for the normal version of elder trees.