|Release||6 May 2014 (Update)|
|Destroy||You will need to harvest more elder springs in Freneskae's Elder Halls to have the chance to find more elder chronicles.|
|On death||Always lost|
|Examine||The memory of an elder god.|
Elder chronicles are memory fragments gathered by harvesting from elder wisps within Freneskae. They are akin to chronicle fragments in that they may spawn randomly from an elder spring and grant Hunter experience based on the player's level when collected. They may be offered to May Stormbrewer near Draynor Village, or Guthix's resting place. Using the latter location grants 33% more experience but also requires completion of The World Wakes to access.
When handed in, they grant an amount of experience in a chosen skill. For every 10 offered, there is a small piece of lore relating to the Elder Gods. Bonus experience does affect the experience received. These lore fragments may be re-read at any time at the same locations where the fragments may be handed in. Obtaining all 10 pieces of elder god lore from the chronicles, which equates to offering 100 chronicles, is a trimmed completionist cape and master quest cape requirement. Chronicles absorbed using the Chronicle Absorption Seren Prayer will not count towards this total.
Prior to completion of the Memorial to Guthix tutorial, a maximum of 30 elder chronicle may be possessed at once. Once players reach the limit, they will need to offer chronicles to either May Stormbrewer, Eilwynn, or Guthix's resting place in exchange for Divination experience before gathering more. This limit is removed after Memorial to Guthix, at which point players are able to possess an unlimited amount of chronicles before turning them in.
The following table shows the experience gained from 10 chronicle fragments at various levels. The experience gained from May Stormbrewer and Eilwynn is 75% of that gained from Guthix's shrine, and serves as a good alternative for those who haven't completed The World Wakes.
|Guthix's shrine||May Stormbrewer / Eilwynn||Guthix's shrine||May Stormbrewer / Eilwynn|
- From darkness is born light, the spark of life. The child is full of wonder, imagination, and innocence. Thus came Edda-Mah.
- From Mah, the light by which to see, the dark in which to hide. The potential for all life, and a place for all things.
- From matter is born shape, ever growing and changing. The youth increases in knowledge and power. Thus came Edda-Bik.
- From Bik, the clay to shape, to build and destroy. Form and reform. The changing of states, of forms, of function.
- From the cold is born fear, shrinking and death. The corpse lies still and lifeless. Thus came Edda-Wen.
- From Wen, the cold to harden and freeze, to brittle and fracture the clay. The ending of things, to break apart. To reflect on the past.
- From the heat is born passion, growth and life. The maiden feels love and joy. Thus came Edda-Ful.
- From Ful, the heat to soften and burn, to work and fire the clay. The beginning of things, to start anew. To experience the now.
- From life is born experience, wisdom and intelligence. The matron is nurturing and caring. Thus came Edda-Jas.
- From Jas, the thought to lead them all. The preparation, the plan, the execution. To look to the future.
- For the achievement requiring you to collect and hand in 100 elder chronicle fragments to Guthix's shrine there is a bug that if you hand in an amount that would put you over 100 total they won't register, leaving you to go and collect more. Unknown if Jagex is aware of this. (12/12/2017). If you have already handed in 80 for example do not hand in more than 20 as you will still only have 8/10 memories unlocked. There is a quick chat that tells you how many you have already handed in something like 'I have caught ... elder chronicles'. This tells you how many you have already handed in to the shrine not including ones in your inventory/bank.
- You do not need to hand them in in batches of 10, you could hand them in one at time if you felt like it.