|Farming level||Cannot be grown|
|Examine||The aged tree dominates with its huge presence.|
An Elder tree is a high-levelled, members-only tree that can be cut for elder logs at level 90 Woodcutting. They are often cut due to the value of their logs, although the tree gives relatively poor experience per hour.
The trees have a unique quality in which they are individually cut instead of shared between players. After 5 minutes of continuous chopping, the tree is depleted of branches and becomes unavailable to the player on all worlds until it regrows. It takes roughly 10 minutes of in-game time for the tree to completely regrow.
When cutting, the player will obtain 325 experience per set of elder logs, which can be fletched by high level fletchers into elder shortbows at level 90 Fletching, or elder shieldbows at level 95 Fletching. These logs may also be burned by players with level 90 Firemaking for 435 experience.
A test conducted with 90 Woodcutting yielded 90 logs in one hour, or 29,250 experience and 355,230 per hour. In comparison, 130 magic logs were cut in one hour, or 32,500 experience and 143,390 per hour. As ivy offers about 70,000 xp per hour at this level, elder trees should only be chopped if the player needs the money.
At level 91 Woodcutting each tree is found to yield roughly 2 to 8 logs, while at level 96 Woodcutting each tree is found to yield roughly 5 to 11 logs, making this a good method for idle woodcutting. As with most high level trees, the rate of yielding a log however, is very inconsistent and seldom account up to what most will expect as it is possible to even gain nothing from a tree at early 90 Woodcutting.
Multiple tests have been done at level 99, with a beaver familiar, and Legendary lumberjack Aura. In one hour, while the aura was active, 120-140 Elder logs were cut. A player using this method can make a profit of, on average 513,110 per hour.
East of the Sorcerer's Tower, or Northeast of Legends Guild
|Fairy ring b•l•r, Seers' Village lodestone, Ardougne Teleport, Ardougne lodestone, Sixth-Age circuit|
|South of Yanille|
|Northwest of Gnome Stronghold bank||Due west of the Spirit tree in Tree Gnome Stronghold|
|South of Draynor Village bank||Amulet of glory, fairy ring D•I•S, Draynor lodestone|
|North of Falador Farm, southeast of Falador.||Cabbageport using explorer's ring (3 or 4), Port Sarim lodestone, Falador Teleport|
|South of Varrock, north of the Rat Pen, or west of East Varrock Mine. South of the Zamorak prayer altar.||Varrock lodestone, Varrock Teleport|
|Near magic trees, south west of Lletya||Teleport crystal, Tirannwn lodestone|
|Piscatoris hunter area||Phoenix lair teleport, fairy ring a•k•q Then go south, Eagles Peak lodestone|
|South of Edgeville, near the Stronghold of Safety.||Edgeville lodestone, amulet of glory, skull sceptre|
|Directly south of Melzar's Maze, or west of POH Portal in Rimmington||Rimmington tablet, clan vexillum, Teleport to House (if your house is in Rimmington), skills necklace, Port Sarim lodestone|
- There are a number of Easter eggs related to the Elder tree. These include:
- Using compost on the tree gives the message "It's a nightmare to get out of the ground."
- Using blue flowers on the tree results in a message saying "Hmm, Elder Flowers."
- Using purple flowers on the tree results in a message saying "Mmm elderflowers."
- Using any type of Summoning scrolls on the tree results in a message saying "5 was the best.", a reference to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
- Using exactly 5 Summoning scrolls on the tree results in the message "I used to be a woodcutter like you, until I took an arrow in the knee.", another reference to Skyrim.
- Using an enchanted lyre on the tree results in the message "Respect your elders!"
- Using white berries on one results in "How cordial.".
- Using a ring of stone on a tree gives the message "I'd kiln for one of those".
- With the release of the trees, a blank white area appeared next to the Exiled Kalphite Hive, which contained many Elder trees, crystal trees, elder pyre logs and funeral pyres. This was used to test the new trees before release.
- The Elder tree north of the cabbage patch was removed on 11 December 2013 with the release of The Bird and the Beast before being added back six days later on the 17th.
- The tree will be depleted 5 minutes after you initiate the action to cut it, regardless of whether you are still cutting it or not.