"Dragon sword" redirects here. Dragon shortswords do not exist.
- This weapon has an off-hand variant.
|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|High Alch||60,000 coins|
|Low Alch||40,000 coins|
|Store price|| 100,000 coins|
|Exchange price||59,373 coins (info)|
|Examine||A very powerful sword.|
The dragon longsword is the fourth strongest longsword available (although it is the strongest non-degradable longsword in the game), the strongest being the Drygore longsword. It can only be wielded by members who have at least 60 Attack and have completed the Lost City quest. The dragon longsword was once the best weapon available in RuneScape and is a rare drop from revenant dragons, greater reborn warriors, and the Ivory statues. It is also a possible reward from an elite treasure trail.
The dragon longsword can be purchased from the Zanaris marketplace for 100,000 coins, although it is strongly recommended to buy it from other players either through the Grand Exchange or simply trading, considering the requirement of having to pay the lofty price of one diamond just to enter the marketplace (if the player hasn't completed 'Fairy Tale III - Orks Rift'.) It can also be obtained by looting a Dragon impling found in either the Impetuous Impulses minigame or roaming around RuneScape.
The longsword is a favourite for medium level players buying their first dragon weapon as it has a low cost, yet can still inflict reasonable damage. For a long time, prior to the introduction of the abyssal whip, this was the weapon of choice for both player killing and training. Before the Evolution of Combat, the weapon was considered, by many, to be inferior to the dragon scimitar. Now, however, it is a fairly powerful one-handed weapon, having more damage than even the abyssal whip. It is stronger but noticeably slower than the scimitar, this being balanced by the longsword's higher damage. However, being about as expensive as the scimitar and having fairly balanced stats, the only thing you need to consider are your stats, as discussed below.
Like all longswords, it is a one-handed weapon. Like almost all dragon equipment, the dragon longsword has a corrupted version as well.
Around April 2009, dragon longswords suffered a harsh price drop. From 13 May 2009, its price had gone down from 95,000 to 67,000, a 29.5% drop. The price then bounced up to 100,000 before crashing back down to 60,000 where it currently remains because of its high alchemy value.
A player wielding a dragon longsword
|[view] • [talk]|
Dropping monsters Edit
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Ivory Gromblod (cursed) 108 1 Rare Ivory statue 108 1 Rare Revenant dragon 93 1 Rare Brutal green dragon 128 1 Very rare Dragon impling N/A (Hunter) 1 Uncommon Greater reborn warrior 128 1 Rare Kingly impling N/A (Hunter) 1–2 (noted) Uncommon Queen Black Dragon 220 1 Uncommon
Dragon longsword vs. Dragon scimitar Edit
Ever since the Evolution of Combat(EoC) was released, the two weapons have been very well balanced. The longsword has a higher damage, but the scimitar has a faster attack speed, meaning more (but potentially weaker) attacks per minute. Also, with the EoC, special attacks and the ability to switch between attack styles with weapons have been removed. This means that the only thing to take into consideration now are your stats. Players with a higher Attack stat may prefer the higher attack strength of the longsword, while players with a higher Strength stat may choose the higher attack speed, and therefore more hits per minute, of the scimitar.
- On 28 July 2009, the Animation Pack 1 update changed the appearance and attack animations of the dragon longsword to what it currently is today, along with the godswords, rune and dragon scimitars, the rune longsword, Dharok's greataxe, and the abyssal whip.
- On 23 July 2009, five days before the scheduled update, the dragon longsword image in the Grand Exchange Database was replaced by the new model. Players found the image and posted about it in the RuneScape Forums, making it widely known before Jagex removed the image a few hours later. Five days later, the image was once again put up along with the official release.
- Before the 28 July 2009 graphic update, a player would appear taller wielding a dragon longsword than a dragon dagger.
- The 28 July update of the dragon longsword's graphics caused a considerable outrage; the weapon severely dropped in popularity, and its "newbie weapon" reputation further suffered.
- The dragon 2h sword's new look is similar to the longsword, which outraged many players who bought the two-handed sword.
- In the quest Glorious Memories, King Vargas is seen wielding a dragon longsword, although differently than players, and claims to have hit damages impossible to do with the sword, like a 720, although this is easily possible during the While Guthix Sleeps quest after touching the Stone of Jas.
- You can still see the old dragon longsword graphic while raiding Movario's base in While Guthix Sleeps. It is on the table with the fake loot.
- Around June 2011, as a result of dragon longsword becoming less expensive than its High Alchemy value, players began alchemizing them.
- There is a glitch where sometimes you won't be able to attack until you unequip it then requip it.
- Before its graphical update, the dragon longsword strongly resembled a machete (A real world tool for cutting long grass and sugar cane etc.)
- Thok uses the dragon longsword's special attack in the Fremennik Saga, Thok It To 'Em.
|Lucky dragon equipment||