- RuneScape uses the British convention for floor numbering: Ground floor, first floor, second floor, etc.
"D slayer" redirects here. For the Demon Slayer quest, see Demon Slayer.
- This quest has a quick guide, found here, which briefly summarises the steps needed to complete the quest.
|Release date||23 September 2001 (Update)|
The Dragon Slayer is a free-player quest available in RuneScape. This quest is regarded as the most difficult for free-play players. Dragon Slayer is usually the last quest on which free players embark. Upon successful completion, players gain the ability to equip the rune platebody, the blue d'hide body, and the batwing torso. It was also the last quest in RuneScape to be released before the addition of membership.
|“||Prove yourself a true hero. Kill the mighty dragon Elvarg of Crandor Island and earn the right to buy and wear the powerful rune platebody.||”|
- Developer: John A
- Graphics: Paul B, Kavi M
- Quality Assurance: Kevin D, Christopher E
- QuestHelp: Gillan M
|Start point:||Speak to the Guildmaster, located inside the Champions' Guild.|
|Length:||Long (60 - 90 mins)|
|Items required:||Items from the toolbelt do not need to be listed unless that version won't work, or aren't automatically added to it. |
Second map piece:
Third map piece:
For fixing the boat:
Recommended for Members:
|Enemies to defeat:||
*Some of these creatures may have to be defeated more than once as the keys to Melzar's Maze are not a 100% drop. Of the monsters, there is only one of each that drops the required key. They can be noted by small differences stated in the guide.
To start the quest, speak to the Guildmaster in the Champions' Guild, located just below the southern entrance of Varrock. After talking to him, you will be directed to Oziach, located in a tiny house situated just south of the Wilderness and north-west of the Edgeville bank, directly north from the Edgeville lodestone.
Oziach says that, to be able to purchase a rune platebody from him, you will have to slay Elvarg, the mighty female dragon, residing within Crandor Isle. He will tell you to re-visit the Guildmaster for information on how to kill Elvarg.
Go back to the Guildmaster. Talk to him about the map pieces, about protection against dragon breath, and about buying a boat. After speaking to him about the map pieces, he will provide you with a Maze key. If you do not talk to him about all three things, you will not be able to move on.
The anti-dragon shieldEdit
Travel to Lumbridge and speak to Duke Horacio on the 1st floor[ of the ]Lumbridge Castle. Ask him about "a shield that will protect you from a dragon's breath," and when he asks you which dragon you're going to use it to fight against, tell him that you will be slaying the fearsome Elvarg of Crandor.
He will then give you an anti-dragon shield and tell you a bit more about the story of Elvarg and the fall of Crandor. It is possible to receive more shields by talking to him again; there is no need to use the drop trick as he'll be happy to hand them out.
It is also possible to just buy the shield from the Grand Exchange or another player because the game marks this part of the quest as completed by just having the shield equipped or in your inventory. By doing this you will save some time that would be spent getting the shield from Duke Horacio; however, getting the shield from him completes a Lumbridge task.
Torn and FrayedEdit
To reach the island of Crandor, you need to obtain a Crandor map, but, for the safety of the people of Asgarnia, the map has been torn up into three pieces by 3 surviving wizards. The wizards, Melzar, Thalzar and Lozar each took a section of the map and stored it, so as to prevent anyone from travelling to the perilous island.
You can obtain the map pieces in any order.
Melzar's Map PieceEdit
For this section, it is recommended that you have a combat level of at least 70, silverlight to fight a demon and a sufficient amount of food. A prayer level of 43 would be beneficial as it would allow the player to avoid some damage.
One of the map pieces is found inside Melzar's maze, south of the crafting guild. Bring some food and armour and enter by using the maze key on the door. The guildmaster will give you a replacement key, in case you've lost it.
- Kill the smallest zombie rat with the long tail, and it will drop the red key. Use this on the north-west door, then go up the ladder. It is a good idea to get several keys from it.
- The orange key is dropped by ghosts. You must kill ghosts that wear the hooded shirt without cape until the orange key drops, then go through the middle door, second from the north, on the east wall and climb the ladder.
- Kill the skeleton with the round shield (buckler) which drops the yellow key. Use the key on the south-west door and keep climbing down until you get to the zombies.
- Kill the zombies to get a blue key. Make sure to open the blue door, NOT the exit door. If you go through the exit door you'll have to repeat the maze from the start.
- You must now fight Melzar the Mad. He primarily uses melee attacks, but also has spells like fire strike and weaken in his arsenal. While you are fighting him cabbages will pop out; this is the initiation of the magic attack. When killed, he drops the magenta key. Use this key on the magenta coloured door.
- You now have to fight a lesser demon, which drops the final green key you need.
- Once the demon is defeated, open the final green door, and take the map piece from the chest. Climb the ladder and exit the building through the entrance.
Thalzar's Map PieceEdit
Travel to the Ice Mountain, west of Edgeville and north of Falador, and climb to the northern-most part of the mountain and speak to the Oracle, who is standing beside a tent. She speaks to you in a riddle, which holds the answer to the location to one of the map pieces:
|“|| "The map's behind a door below,|
but entering is rather tough
This is what you need to know,
You must use the following stuff:
First, a drink used by a mage,
Next, some worm string changed to a sheet,
Then, a small crustacean cage,
Last, a bowl that's not seen heat."
To obtain this piece of the map, you'll need :
- An unfired bowl,
- A Wizard's Mind Bomb which can be bought in Falador for 3 coins,
- A lobster pot or a crayfish cage which can be purchased in the Port Sarim or Lumbridge fishing shop,
- A piece of silk, which can be located in any of the shops within Al Kharid or in Varrock.
Once you have obtained all these items, venture down into the mysterious and damp Dwarven Mine, just north-east of the Falador lodestone. The mine contains a room with a sealed entrance door in the north-east part of the mines, just north of the scorpions. When you've found it, use all the items on the "Magical Door." Be sure to use the Wizard's Mind Bomb with the door, as the left-click action for it is to drink it.
Trying to use the items on the door without consulting the Oracle results in the message "I have no idea what I should put in the opening of this door. Maybe I should just leave it for now."
When you open the chest inside the room you get the following message, written by Thalzar:
|“|| "Here I rest the map to my beloved home. To whoever finds it, I beg of you, let it be. I was honour-bound not to destroy the map piece, but I have used all of my magical skill to keep it from being recovered.|
This map leads to the lair of the beast that destroyed my home, devoured my family, and burned to a cinder all that I love. But revenge would not benefit me now, and to disturb this beast is to risk bringing its wrath down upon another land.
I cannot stop you from taking this map piece now, but think on this: if you can slay the Dragon of Crandor, you are a greater hero than my land ever produced. There is no shame in backing out now."
Be sure to search the chest after reading the message in order to obtain the map piece.
Lozar's Map PieceEdit
Asking the Guildmaster about Lozar's map piece, reveals that she had hid the map section in a safebox in her house in Lumbridge. Unfortunately, she was killed during a goblin raid, and the creatures looted everything from the homes. The Guildmaster recommends you speak to someone in the Goblin Village.
You can directly head to confront the perpetrator, eliminating the need to visit the goblin village. The third map piece is in the possession of a goblin named Wormbrain, who is being held in the Port Sarim Jail. Head to the Port Sarim jail and speak to Wormbrain, who admits to stealing the map from the frail woman, although getting caught while trying to escape.
There are two ways to obtain this map piece:
- Beat up Wormbrain using mage or ranged attacks and cast telekinetic grab on the map piece he drops (requires 33 Magic, or if your Magic level is 31 or 32, a Wizard's mind bomb can be used accordingly).
- Speak to him and pay him 10,000 coins for the map piece.
After obtaining all the map pieces, simply use one of them on another to complete your Crandor map.
When you spoke to the Guildmaster, he told you that there is a ship for sale in Port Sarim. You need to buy it from a sailor who goes by the name of Klarense, in one of the southern docks in Port Sarim.
The ship will be damaged, so you will require:
- 90 steel nails (You can craft the steel nails with level 34 smithing (6 steel bars makes 90 nails) or buy them off the Grand Exchange).
- 3 regular wood planks (other variations, such as oak, won't work). Non-members can obtain them by collecting the respawns in the Western Ruins, Graveyard of Shadows, and Forgotten Cemetary in the Wilderness or buy them off the Grand Exchange. Members have the extra option of cutting down 3 normal trees, and making the logs into planks at the Sawmill northeast of Varrock (300 coins will cover the cost of making the planks).
After obtaining and bringing all the aforementioned items, along with 2,000 coins, head over to Port Sarim and look for Klarense at the southern docks. Buy his boat, the Lady Lumbridge, for 2,000 coins. Board the ship and descend the ladder.
Make sure to repair the opening in the hull by using the planks with the hole. Using each plank consumes 30 steel nails. Do this three times to repair the hole completely.
Venture forth to Draynor Village and converse with Ned, located in the house just north of Miss Schism. He sells and crafts ropes. Make sure to bring your map and ask him to captain the ship and assist you in sailing to Crandor. He agrees and asks you to meet him on your ship in Port Sarim.
There are no safespots in the cavern and Elvarg can hit up to 1200 lifepoints worth of damage with her firebreath attack, if an anti-dragon shield isn't equipped. On death, a grave will appear inside Elvarg's cave.
- Before setting off for Crandor Island, stop at any bank. Withdraw your anti-dragon shield, a weapon, your best armour suited for your fighting style, any potions you may need, runes/bolts or javelins (if maging/ranging), teleportation spells, and fill the rest of your inventory with food.
- Make sure your health isn't low because Elvarg can deal up to 1200 life points if you are not wearing an Anti-dragon shield.
- Elvarg can be killed in more than one trip, so if you run out of food you can always re-bank, come back and Elvarg's lifepoints will still be the same as when you left off. However, this only applies if no other player enters the dragon's lair while you are gone, and succeeds in slaying the dragon, in which case it will regenerate with full life points.
- To quickly reach Crandor, in case you are making more than one trip, you must unlock the south secret passage wall from Crandor heading to Karamja Volcano, so you can use it to travel from Karamja onto the charred island, without the need to talk to Ned or sail via the Lady Lumbridge.
- After unlocking this passage, it becomes the only way to reach Crandor, as Klarense won't let you board the ship again under the excuse that it is another ship (he supports this by painting Klarense's Cruiser on top of Lady Lumbridge).
- If you do leave mid-battle and forget to open the secret passage, you will need another three planks of wood and 90 nails to repair the vessel. Ned will already be on board ready to sail again.
If your Prayer level is high enough, Protect from Melee will reduce Elvarg's melee attacks; a combination of Protect from Melee and an anti-dragon shield will also reduce fire breath damage to a maximum of 200 lifepoint damage. Note that her dragonfire will drain your prayer points if you plan to use prayer during the fight.
- Use of an antifire potion completely negates the damage from Elvarg's dragonbreath attacks, when used in combination with a shield. Players with 85+ Herblore can make use of Super antifire potions to obtain complete immunity against the dragon breath, removing the need to wear the anti-dragon shield, and they can safely equip two-handed equipment.
- Bringing prayer potions so as to be able to use prayer for the entire battle, in combination with antifire potions, is very helpful. Note that Elvarg's dragonbreath will drain your prayer points when she attacks you with it.
- If you run out of food and don't have an emergency teleport, members can enter the TzHaar city and use the bank there. In addition, TzHaar will become the spawn hub, in the event of death, making it much easier to reach your gravestone. Teleporting away when low on food and life points is wise, unless you can kill Elvarg in one or two more hits. Use of a ring of life for a quick getaway, in case of an emergency, is recommended.
- Players may also use a dwarf multicannon here.
Melee is the most common tactic for fighting Elvarg, but can still be risky.
- Using abilities like Kick and Backhand are recommended as Elvarg cannot be stunned, inflicting 188% of your weapon damage.
- Maces are recommended over their scimitar counterparts, as they provide a prayer bonus while having the same attack stats.
- Using corrupt dragon equipment (particularly the mace for its prayer bonus) will increase the chance of success in free-to-play, but it comes at a much larger cost.
Ranging is inadvisable for non-members due to the lack of any decent one-handed ranging weapons, aside from crossbows and javelins. If you still want to use ranged on the dragon, make sure you are using a strong version of either, which will allow you to equip the required anti-dragon shield.
- The Binding Shot ranged ability is recommended as Elvarg cannot be stunned, inflicting 188% of your weapon's damage.
- If using javelins, which can be wielded with the anti-dragon shield, note that the only way non-members can get their hands on them is to trade with other players or buy them through the Grand Exchange. Adamant javelins or better are a good choice; bring at least 150-250 to be safe.
- A good outfit for non-members is rune chainbody, blue d'hide chaps, blue d'hide vambraces, rune full helm, amulet of power, anti-dragon shield, and about 200-300 rune javelins.
- Members are recommended to use enchanted bolts with a strong one-handed crossbow. Bring plenty of bolts - about 200-300 should suffice - and be sure to wear your best ranged equipment.
- Sagaies are also very effective and inexpensive for members, if they have 72 Ranged or higher.
If using magic, water blast or a stronger spell is highly advised. Using Fire Blast, combined with items that boost your magic level and magic-boosting prayers, is the most recommended method when using magic. Bring batwing armour and a bat wand or better, if using magic.
- Similar to its melee and ranged counterparts, the Impact ability causes 188% of your active spell damage on Elvarg, since she cannot be stunned.
- Mages will need to stay in Elvarg's melee range at all times, as her melee attack is much less accurate than her breath, and also deals less damage per hit, even when shielded. Nevertheless, a large amount of food will likely be required.
Board your ship, and talk to Ned. Tell him you're ready to sail to Crandor Isle. A short cutscene will play, during which Elvarg flies over your ship in circles and sets it on fire! Cabin Boy Jenkins will start to panic. He will catch on fire, receiving damage of 100 life points and dies.
After crashing on the island shore, make your way across the island to the peak, avoiding the progressively stronger monsters (the Skeletons are level 46, the Moss Giants are level 74, and lastly the two Lesser Demons on the summit level 100). Run past the lesser demons and enter the hole into the heart of the island.
Another cutscene plays, showing Elvarg's lair - full of charred bones, skeletons, and a wall outline of a former warrior that was burnt-down - before moving the camera angle to Elvarg, showing her as if she was slowly moving towards you.
Move past the skeletons until you see Elvarg behind a short wall of spikes protruding from the ground on the east. Climb over it, making sure that your anti-dragonfire shield is equipped, and begin the fight.
Delivery to OziachEdit
Once you kill Elvarg, a cutscene will play during which you cut off Elvarg's head. It will appear in your inventory. Leave Crandor and take the head to Oziach, who will declare you a worthy member of the champion guild and give you your reward.
There are several ways to leave Crandor after the fight:
- Home Teleport can take you directly to Edgeville.
- Using the wall that you unlocked before, you can reach the Karamja Volcano. From there on, you can sail to Port Sarim, from the Karamja port.
- Members can use an amulet of glory to teleport to Edgeville.
If you lose the head, you are not required to go back and kill Elvarg for another. Simply return to Oziach and the quest will end as normal. You can bank the head, but it will disappear after you receive your reward.
Congratulations, Quest complete!
- 2 Quest points
- The ability to equip a rune platebody, a blue dragonhide body, and a batwing torso.
- 18,650 experience
- 18,650 experience
- Access to all of Crandor Island
- An anti-dragon shield
- Maze key, giving access to Melzar's Maze
- Access to the dragon crest on herald capes
- 2 extra spins on the Squeal of Fortune
- Attack 2 - under Crandor
- Melzar's Maze (music track) - Melzar's Maze
- Dangerous Road - under Karamja Volcano
- The Shadow - Crandor
Required for completingEdit
Completion of Dragon Slayer is required for the following:
- Heroes' Quest
- Karamja Tasks:
- Medium: "Back Cran-Door" and "Dungeons and Dragons"
- Varrock Tasks:
- Medium: "The Body Shop"
- Lumbridge and Draynor Tasks: (You only need to complete the section The Anti-Dragon Shield)
- Medium: "Always Be Prepared"
- When talking to the ghosts on the second floor of Melzar's maze with a ghostspeak amulet equipped, the darkly coloured ghosts with hoods will occasionally say "Oh my gods, the dragon is coming back!" or "Get the women and children to the boats!". This shows that these ghosts were the survivors who escaped Crandor but later died, when the dragon Elvarg followed them to their camp in Port Sarim. It is possible that Melzar, being a necromancer, summoned them to his maze.
- Earlier, when Elvarg died, the player would be teleported outside with the 'Quest Complete' banner, without the need to cut off Elvarg's head. There was also no need to return to Oziach afterwards.
- In RuneScape Classic, Telekinetic Grab was the only way to complete the quest after some quest items were made untradeable, as there was no option to buy the map piece from Wormbrain.
- Dragon Slayer is the only free-to-play quest with an 'Experienced' difficulty, and 'Long' length.
Black Knights' Fortress • The Blood Pact • Cook's Assistant • Death Plateau • Demon Slayer • Druidic Ritual • Ernest the Chicken • Goblin Diplomacy • Gunnar's Ground • Imp Catcher • Let Them Eat Pie • Myths of the White Lands • Pirate's Treasure • The Restless Ghost • Rune Mysteries • Shield of Arrav • Stolen Hearts • Swept Away • Vampyre Slayer • Wolf Whistle What's Mine is Yours
|Removed or significantly changed|
Italics denote that the removed quest was later made into a miniquest.