- RuneScape uses the British convention for floor numbering: Ground floor, first floor, second floor, etc.
|Release date||23 September 2001 (Update)|
|Developer(s)|| Original: Paul G|
Rework: John A
The Dragon Slayer is a free-player quest available in RuneScape. This quest is regarded as the most difficult for free-play players. Dragon Slayer is usually the last quest on which free players embark. Upon successful completion, players gain the ability to equip the rune platebody, the blue d'hide body, and the batwing torso. It was also the last quest in RuneScape to be released before the addition of membership.
|“||Prove yourself a true hero. Kill the mighty dragon Elvarg of Crandor Island and earn the right to buy and wear the powerful rune platebody.||”|
- Developer: John A
- Graphics: Paul B, Kavi M
- Quality Assurance: Kevin D, Christopher E
- QuestHelp: Gillan M
|Start point|| |
Speak to the Guildmaster, located inside the Champions' Guild.
|Length||Long (30 - 90 mins)|
|Items required||Items from the toolbelt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added. |
Second map piece:
Third map piece:
For fixing the boat:
Recommended for Members:
|Enemies to defeat||
To start the quest, speak to the Guildmaster in the Champions' Guild, located just below the southern entrance of Varrock. After talking to him, you will be directed to Oziach, located in a tiny house situated just south of the Wilderness and north-west of the Edgeville bank, directly north from the Edgeville lodestone.
Oziach says that, to be able to purchase a rune platebody from him, you will have to slay Elvarg, the mighty female dragon, residing within Crandor Isle. He will tell you to re-visit the Guildmaster for information on how to kill Elvarg.
Go back to the Guildmaster. Talk to him about the map pieces, about protection against dragon breath, and about buying a boat. After speaking to him about the map pieces, he will provide you with a maze key. If you do not talk to him about all three things, you will not be able to move on.
The anti-dragon shieldEdit
To skip this section and save time, it is possible to simply buy an anti-dragon shield from the Grand Exchange or another player, as the game marks this part of the quest as completed by just having the shield equipped or in your inventory.
Travel to Lumbridge and speak to Duke Horacio on the 1st floor[ of the ]Lumbridge Castle. Ask him about "a shield that will protect you from a dragon's breath," and when he asks you which dragon you're going to use it to fight against, tell him that you will be slaying the fearsome Elvarg of Crandor.
He will then give you an anti-dragon shield and tell you a bit more about the story of Elvarg and the fall of Crandor.
Torn and FrayedEdit
To reach the island of Crandor, you need to obtain a Crandor map, but, for the safety of the people of Asgarnia, the map has been torn up into three pieces by 3 surviving wizards. The wizards, Melzar, Thalzar and Lozar each took a section of the map and stored it, so as to prevent anyone from travelling to the perilous island.
You can obtain the map pieces in any order.
Melzar's Map PieceEdit
For this section, it is recommended that you have a combat level of at least 70, silverlight to fight a demon and a sufficient amount of food. A prayer level of 43 would be beneficial as it would allow the player to avoid some damage.
Melzar's map piece is found within Melzar's Maze, found south of the crafting guild. Bring some food and armour and enter using the maze key on the door. The guildmaster will give you a replacement key, in case you've lost it.
To progress through the maze, you will have to get past several locked doors, with the monsters within dropping the keys. However, only one monster of each kind will drop the required key - the ones having traits that differentiate them from the others.
- Once you enter the maze, you'll find yourself in a large room containing zombie rats. To get the red key, you must kill the small zombie rat with the long tail. Once you have obtained the key, open the north-western door, and proceed up the ladder.
- The second room is home to the ghosts. The orange key is dropped by a ghost with a cape, but not a hood. After obtaining the key, head through the middle door, second from the north on the eastern wall, and then climb the ladder.
- The third room holds a few skeletons. To obtain the yellow key, the skeleton with a round shield must be killed. After killing it, use the key on the south-western door and keep climbing down the ladders until you reach the basement.
- The basement contains two zombies. Unlike the other rooms, there is no way to tell which zombie will drop the key, so just kill both of them until you get a blue key. Then proceed through the blue door, NOT the exit door. If you go through the exit door you'll have to repeat the maze from the start.
You must now fight the insane Melzar the Mad. He primarily uses melee attacks, but also uses spells such as Fire Strike and Weaken. He is fairly weak, although he should not be underestimated. While you are fighting him, he will spawn cabbages, which can be eaten if you are low on health. When killed, he drops the magenta key. Use this key on the magenta coloured door to progress to the final room.
In the final room, you'll be confronted with a lesser demon, who drops the final green key. It is weaker than other lesser demons, although it still uses magic attacks. Using Ranged is advised, as it is weak to arrows, although it can still be defeated relatively easily with magic or melee. As it is immune to stun, abilities like Kick and Backhand may prove useful, as they cause 188% weapon damage on stun immune monsters.
Once the demon is defeated and you take its key, open the final green door and take the map piece from the chest within. You may now climb up the ladder and exit the building through the entrance, or can you can use the Home Teleport spell to exit the maze.
Thalzar's Map PieceEdit
Travel to the Ice Mountain, west of Edgeville and north of Falador, and climb to the northern-most part of the mountain and speak to the Oracle, who is standing beside a tent. She speaks to you in a riddle, which holds the answer to the location to one of the map pieces:
|“|| "The map's behind a door below,|
but entering is rather tough
This is what you need to know,
You must use the following stuff:
First, a drink used by a mage,
Next, some worm string changed to a sheet,
Then, a small crustacean cage,
Last, a bowl that's not seen heat."
To obtain this piece of the map, you'll need:
- An unfired bowl,
- A Wizard's Mind Bomb which can be bought in Falador for 3 coins,
- A lobster pot or a crayfish cage, which can be purchased in the Port Sarim or Lumbridge fishing shop. (You may not use the one in your toolbelt)
- A piece of silk, which can be obtained from the silk trader in Al Kharid at the cost of 2 coins.
Once you have obtained all these items, venture down into the mysterious and damp Dwarven Mine, just north-east of the Falador lodestone. The mine contains a room with a sealed entrance door in the north-east part of the mines, just north of the scorpions. When you've found it, use all the items on the "Magical Door." Be sure to use the Wizard's Mind Bomb with the door, as the left-click action for it is to drink it.
Trying to use the items on the door without consulting the Oracle results in the message "I have no idea what I should put in the opening of this door. Maybe I should just leave it for now."
When you open the chest inside the room you get the following message, written by Thalzar:
|“|| "Here I rest the map to my beloved home. To whoever finds it, I beg of you, let it be. I was honour-bound not to destroy the map piece, but I have used all of my magical skill to keep it from being recovered.|
This map leads to the lair of the beast that destroyed my home, devoured my family, and burned to a cinder all that I love. But revenge would not benefit me now, and to disturb this beast is to risk bringing its wrath down upon another land.
I cannot stop you from taking this map piece now, but think on this: if you can slay the Dragon of Crandor, you are a greater hero than my land ever produced. There is no shame in backing out now."
Be sure to search the chest after reading the message in order to obtain the map piece.
Lozar's Map PieceEdit
Asking the Guildmaster about Lozar's map piece, reveals that she had hid the map section in a safebox in her house in Lumbridge. Unfortunately, she was killed during a goblin raid, and the creatures looted everything from the homes. The Guildmaster recommends you speak to someone in the Goblin Village.
You can directly head to confront the perpetrator, eliminating the need to visit the goblin village. The third map piece is in the possession of a goblin named Wormbrain, who is being held at the Port Sarim Jail. Head there and speak to Wormbrain, who admits to stealing the map from a frail old woman and getting caught while trying to escape.
There are two ways to obtain this map piece:
- Beat up Wormbrain using mage or ranged attacks and cast Telekinetic Grab on the map piece he drops (requires 33 Magic, or if your Magic level is 31 or 32, a Wizard's mind bomb can be used accordingly).
- Speak to him and pay him 10,000 coins for the map piece.
After obtaining all the map pieces, simply use one of them on another to complete your Crandor map.
When you spoke to the Guildmaster, he told you that there is a ship for sale in Port Sarim. You need to buy it from a sailor who goes by the name of Klarense, in one of the southern docks in Port Sarim. At the port docks, talk to Klarense to be informed that the ship is damaged. To repair it, you will require:
- 90 steel nails (You can craft the steel nails with level 34 Smithing (6 steel bars makes 90 nails) or buy them off the Grand Exchange).
- 3 regular wood planks (other variations, such as oak, won't work). Non-members can obtain them by collecting the respawns in the Western Ruins, Graveyard of Shadows, and Forgotten Cemetary in the Wilderness or buy them off the Grand Exchange. Members have the extra option of cutting down 3 normal trees, and making the logs into planks at the Sawmill northeast of Varrock or the Plank Maker by the Taverley lodestone (300 coins will cover the cost of making the planks).
After obtaining and bringing all the aforementioned items, along with 2,000 coins, head over to Port Sarim and look for Klarense at the southern docks. Buy his boat, the Lady Lumbridge, for 2,000 coins. Board the ship and descend the ladder.
Make sure to repair the opening in the hull by using the planks with the hole. Using each plank consumes 30 steel nails. Do this three times to repair the hole completely.
Venture forth to Draynor Village and converse with Ned, located in the house just north of Miss Schism. He sells and crafts ropes. Make sure to bring your map and ask him to captain the ship and assist you in sailing to Crandor. He agrees and asks you to meet him on your ship in Port Sarim.
There are no safespots in the cavern and Elvarg can hit up to 1200 lifepoints worth of damage with her firebreath attack, if an anti-dragon shield isn't equipped. On death, a grave will appear inside Elvarg's cave.
When you are ready, board your ship and talk to Ned. Tell him you're ready to sail to Crandor Isle. A short cutscene will play, during which Elvarg flies over your ship in circles and sets it on fire! Cabin Boy Jenkins will start to panic. He will catch on fire, receiving damage of 100 life points and dies.
After crashing on the island shore, make your way across the island to the peak, avoiding the progressively stronger monsters (the skeletons are level 46, the moss giants are level 74, and lastly the two lesser demons on the summit level 100). Run past the lesser demons and enter the hole into the heart of the island.
Another cutscene plays, showing Elvarg's lair - full of charred bones, skeletons, and a wall outline of a former warrior that was burnt-down - before moving the camera angle to Elvarg, showing her as if she was slowly moving towards you.
Move past the skeletons until you see Elvarg behind a short wall of spikes protruding from the ground on the east. Climb over it, making sure that your anti-dragonfire shield is equipped, and begin the fight.
If your Prayer level is high enough, Protect from Melee will reduce Elvarg's melee attacks; a combination of Protect from Melee and an anti-dragon shield will also reduce fire breath damage to a maximum of 200 lifepoint damage. Note that her dragonfire will drain your prayer points if you plan to use prayer during the fight.
- Use of an antifire potion completely negates the damage from Elvarg's dragonbreath attacks, when used in combination with an anti-dragon shield.
- Bringing prayer potions so as to be able to use prayer for the entire battle, in combination with antifire potions, is very helpful. Note that Elvarg's dragonbreath will drain your prayer points when she attacks you with it.
- If you run out of food and don't have an emergency teleport, members can enter the TzHaar city and use the bank there. In addition, TzHaar will become the spawn hub, in the event of death, making it much easier to reach your gravestone. Teleporting away when low on food and life points is wise, unless you can kill Elvarg in one or two more hits.
- Players may also use a dwarf multicannon here.
Melee is the most common tactic for fighting Elvarg, but can still be risky.
- Using abilities like Kick and Backhand are recommended as Elvarg cannot be stunned, causing 188% of your weapon damage being inflicted on Elvarg.
- Elvarg is not weak to any specific melee attack style, therefore maces are recommended over their scimitar counterparts, as they provide a prayer bonus while having the same attack stats. Using the corrupt dragon mace will increase the chance of success in free-to-play, but it comes at a much larger cost.
- An ideal non-members melee setup would be wearing either corrupt dragon equipment or rune equipment, along with an amulet of power, your anti-dragon shield, and a rune mace as your weapon.
Ranging is inadvisable for non-members due to the lack of any decent one-handed ranging weapons, aside from crossbows and javelins. If you still want to use ranged on the dragon, make sure you are using a strong version of either, which will allow you to equip the required anti-dragon shield.
- The Binding Shot ranged ability is recommended as Elvarg cannot be stunned, causing 188% of your weapon damage being inflicted on Elvarg.
- If using javelins, which can be wielded with the anti-dragon shield, note that the only way non-members can get their hands on them is to trade with other players or buy them through the Grand Exchange. Adamant javelins or better are a good choice; bring at least 150-250 to be safe.
- A good outfit for non-members is rune chainbody, blue d'hide chaps, blue d'hide vambraces, rune full helm, amulet of power, anti-dragon shield, and about 200-300 rune javelins.
- Members are recommended to use enchanted bolts with a strong one-handed crossbow. Bring plenty of bolts - about 200-300 should suffice - and be sure to wear your best ranged equipment.
- Sagaies are also very effective and inexpensive for members, if they have 72 Ranged or higher.
If using magic, Water Blast or a stronger spell is highly advised. Using Fire Blast, combined with items that boost your magic level and magic-boosting prayers, is the most recommended method when using magic. Bring batwing armour and a bat wand or better, if using magic.
- Similar to its melee and ranged counterparts, the Impact ability causes 188% of your active spell damage on Elvarg, since she cannot be stunned.
- Mages will need to stay in Elvarg's melee range at all times, as her melee attack is much less accurate than her breath, and also deals less damage per hit, even when shielded. Nevertheless, a large amount of food will likely be required.
Delivery to OziachEdit
Once you kill Elvarg, a cutscene will play during which you cut off Elvarg's head. It will appear in your inventory. Leave Crandor and take the head to Oziach, who will declare you a worthy member of the champion guild and give you your reward.
There are several ways to leave Crandor after the fight:
- Home Teleport can take you directly to Edgeville.
- Using the wall that you unlocked before, you can reach the Karamja Volcano. From there on, you can sail to Port Sarim, from the Karamja port.
- Members can use an amulet of glory to teleport to Edgeville.
If you lose the head, you are not required to go back and kill Elvarg for another. Simply return to Oziach and the quest will end as normal. You can bank the head, but it will disappear after you receive your reward.
Congratulations, quest complete!
- 2 Quest points
- The ability to equip a rune platebody, a blue dragonhide body, and a batwing torso.
- 18,650 experience
- 18,650 experience
- Access to all of Crandor Island
- An anti-dragon shield
- Maze key, giving access to Melzar's Maze
- Access to the dragon crest on herald capes
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys for use in Treasure Hunter
- 2 Hearts of Ice for use in Treasure Hunter
- Attack 2 - under Crandor
- Melzar's Maze (music track) - Melzar's Maze
- Dangerous Road - under Karamja Volcano
- The Shadow - Crandor
Required for completingEdit
Completion of Dragon Slayer is required for the following:
- Heroes' Quest
- Karamja Tasks:
- Medium: "Back Cran-Door" and "Dungeons and Dragons"
- Varrock Tasks:
- Medium: "The Body Shop"
- Lumbridge and Draynor Tasks: (You only need to complete the section The anti-dragon shield)
- Medium: "Always Be Prepared"
- Desert Tasks:
- When talking to the ghosts on the second floor of Melzar's maze with a ghostspeak amulet equipped, the darkly coloured ghosts with hoods will occasionally say "Oh my gods, the dragon is coming back!" or "Get the women and children to the boats!". This shows that these ghosts were the survivors who escaped Crandor but later died, when the dragon Elvarg followed them to their camp in Port Sarim. It is possible that Melzar, being a necromancer, summoned them to his maze.
- Earlier, when Elvarg died, the player would be teleported outside with the 'Quest Complete' banner, without the need to cut off Elvarg's head. There was also no need to return to Oziach afterwards.
- In RuneScape Classic, Telekinetic Grab was the only way to complete the quest after some quest items were made untradeable, as there was no option to buy the map piece from Wormbrain.
- Along with Demon Slayer, Vampyre Slayer, The Death of Chivalry, and A Shadow over Ashdale this quest is one of only 5 free-to-play quests that involve a boss.
- In the original version of this quest, Elvarg's boss room was a metal fence with a gate that could only be opened during the quest. Later this was changed into a wall of stalagmites that the player would vault over.