- For other uses, see Dragon (disambiguation).
A Dragon (Draconis rex) is a dangerous race of monster with wings (though rarely seen flying) and the ability to use a fiery breath attack.
The first dragon was created by infusing Dragonkin lifeblood with a huge aquatic lizard by the Dragonkin Kerapac. Another Dragonkin later created a similar, albeit weaker three headed creature. They bred and created dragons as we know them today.Dragons are often a very high combat level. Even the lowliest of dragons have a nasty dragon-breath attack. Only the adult dragons can breathe fire. As this attack can hit over 5000 life points, an Anti-dragon shield, Antifire potion, Super antifire or Dragonfire shield is almost always required to fight them. If both the shield and the potion are used, all of the damage is prevented. Due to the Protect from Magic Prayer's effectiveness against the dragonfire attacks (though less so that of the usual methods to repel them), dragons are at least partially magical in nature.
Adult dragons drop Dragonhides of their particular colour (or metal bars in the case of Metal Dragons) and Dragon bones. Babydragons drop Babydragon bones. The highest level adult dragons (black, iron, steel, and mithril) also share the Draconic visage as a rare drop (the likelihood of receiving the visage increases with regards to the strength of the dragon). Skeletal Wyverns and Frost Dragons also drop the draconic visage. For the chromatic dragons, it is interesting to note that the combat level of the corresponding dragon increases with a trend similar to that of the rank of the colour of the karate belt. Their rankings are also related to the rating of danger on ski-runs, with a green slope being a beginner slope, to a black slope being for advanced skiers only. Metallic dragons increase in strength corresponding to that of the metal they are made from.
There are four non-attackable dragons:
- Mr. Mordaut is the teacher in the Surprise Exam! random event.
- K'klik, a fairy dragon found in the Recipe for Disaster quest.
- Sottlepot, the Red dragon found in the tutorial-quest Unstable Foundations.
- Therragorn, the last White Dragon from One of a Kind.
The Red Dragon from the tutorial Unstable Foundations uses the new dragon graphic style, and all the other dragons have been updated to the same style as announced in 2010 July's Behind The Scenes.
Types of DragonsEdit
- Green dragon - Brutal Green Dragon - Elvarg - Three-headed green dragon
- Blue dragon - Baby Blue Dragon
- Red dragon - Baby Red Dragon - Mr. Mordaut
- Black dragon - Baby Black Dragon - King Black Dragon - Queen Black Dragon
- White dragon - Therragorn
- Celestial dragon (type of modified white dragon)
- Bronze dragon
- Iron dragon
- Steel dragon
- Mithril dragon
- According to Mod Mark in the 17 February 2012 Q&A, adamant dragons are planned to be added in the future.. Dragons up to Dragon dragon have been mentioned.
- Strykewyrms (also see Freezy for the baby forms):
- Other wyrms:
- Frost dragon
- Revenant dragon - Ghosts of the dragons that have been killed in the wilderness during the Gielinorian God Wars, when it was still called Forinthry.
- Skeletal Wyvern (not a true dragon, but a closely related monster - wyverns also drop draconic visages, but breathe ice breath instead of fire)
- K'klik (Fairy Dragon, the only type of dragons seemingly not created by the Dragonkin)
|Baby blue dragon||44|
|Baby red dragon||48|
|Baby black dragon||70|
|King Black Dragon||276|
|Brutal green dragon||105|
|Queen Black Dragon||900|
- In the 19th Postbag from the Hedge, a letter from a green dragon stated they CAN fly. They are not seen flying (except in cutscenes from Dragon Slayer, and at the Clan Citadel) because they prefer to eat us on the ground. This is probably said because dragons would be hard to see by a player if they would attack from the sky.
- In the same letter, they are also depicted as fairly dim-witted, talking in a dialect similar to ogres. However in the same letter he remarks that the King (the King Black Dragon) can speak human better than he.
- Conversely, most Dragon myths depict Dragons as incredibly intelligent and being able to play mind games with enemies. In some myths, people have faced Dragons who present complex questions or riddles to a person, in which case a wrong answer results in said person becoming dinner. Mr. Mordaut seems more in line with this view of dragons, but he merely teleports people who fail his riddles somewhere random as opposed to eating them.
- Dragons are thought to have been created to protect the powerful, almost extinct race known as Dragonkin.
- White dragons seem to have existed at some point in RuneScape's history, as the examine option on Third age ranger armour implies.
- Dragons must have been involved somehow in the God Wars, as the examine text for a Revenant dragon says: "A ghost of a dragon slain during the god wars.".
- According the 2nd 2010 content Q&A, dragons' breath is apparently similar to napalm.
- In the Completionist Cape emote you become a dragon with lava cracks and black wings.
- All chromatic and metal dragons had a graphical update on the 5th of July 2010, making them the first monsters in Runescape to have a second graphical update.
- Since the graphical update, dragons have a more dog like body, they are taller, and seem to have a plate-like skin rather than scales.