|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Developer(s)|| Paul G|
1st rework: John A
2nd rework: Lewis M
Demon Slayer is a quest in which you have to stop a cult of Zamorakian wizards who are trying to summon the powerful demon Delrith.
|“||A mighty demon is being summoned to destroy the city of Varrock. You are the one destined to stop him (or at least try).||”|
|Start point|| |
Talk to Grüfeld Bach located in the church north of Varrock Museum
|Length||Short (Under 10 mins)|
|Items required||Items from the toolbelt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added. |
|Enemies to defeat|
Start by talking to Grüfeld Bach in the Saradominist church north of the Varrock Museum. He gravely tells you that a follower of Zamorak, Denath, has stolen an ancient Tome of Demonology from the Edgeville Monastery. Incidentally, this book was used generations ago to banish a powerful demon named Delrith back to its own dimension, and is the only possible way to bring it back.
While Grüfeld is tracking Denath to prevent him from performing the ritual, he asks you to retrieve the lone sword capable of killing Delrith - the Silverlight - as a backup plan. The sword rests in the crypt directly below the church, watched over by its previous owners, ancestors of the Bach family.
The Silverlight TrialsEdit
After talking to Grüfeld, climb down the trapdoor in the same room, directly south of him. Walk a bit north and you will see three spirits, each linked to an attribute: the Spirit of the Mind, the Spirit of the Body, and the Spirit of Faith. Speak to any one of them about Silverlight, and they will tell you you have to pass three tests to prove yourself worthy of the sword.
The following can be done in any order.
The Spirit of the Mind in the eastern room wants to test your focus on the job at hand. You must thus answer a series of simple questions pertaining to the quest.
- Why are you in this place? - I seek the Silverlight.
- And what is Silverlight? - A sword that slays demons.
- Why do you require a sword that slays demons? - A powerful demon threatens Varrock.
- Who is this demon? - Delrith
- And who sends you to claim Silverlight and fight Delrith? - Grüfeld Bach
Content with your answers, the spirit goes back to the altar in the central room.
In the northern room, you must walk along an invisible path guided by the spirit. When doing this trial, you must only take one step at a time, waiting for the spirit to tell you which direction to walk. If you step off the path, you fall into the chasm and appear to die, however, you don't. You respawn at the start of the trial.
Once you're on the first part of the path, the order is:
When you reach to the other side of the chasm, walk back over to the central room, taking any path you wish.
Enter the west cavern and speak with the spirit of the Body, who wants to test your physical ability to wield the Silverlight. He asks you to kill the 10 skeletons piled up beside him. As the skeletons attack simultaneously using ranged, with a maximum hit of 1, pillars can be used to decrease the amount of damage taken by hiding.
Once you defeat all the monsters, the spirit will teleport back to the altar in the main room, pleased with the result.
After successfully passing the tests, talk to the spirits again. They will congratulate you and break down the barrier to grant you access to Silverlight; you can now finally claim the sword from the altar.
Head up the ladder and meet Grüfeld Bach, who tells you that he has managed to locate Denath. The wizard is currently in the Temple in south-east Varrock, near the rune shop. Make your way to the Temple and climb down the trap door near the western wall.
You must now fight your way against some Zamorakian monks to reach the middle. If you stand close enough to any of the monks, Bach will attack them - skillers beware of this, as you will get the xp for the monks he kills.
As you wipe them out in a room, a barrier vanishes, allowing you to pass into the next room.
While passing the final barrier, a cutscene plays where you meet up with Denath, and the demonology book placed on a strange Zamorakian symbol. He taunts Grüfeld for not being able to stop him, before completing the ritual and teleporting away. Delrith appears at the spot of the now-burned book, ready to spread chaos over the city.
Darklight will be more effective than Silverlight in the fight against Delrith. The sword can be reclaimed from a player-owned house if it had been previously mounted.
The demon shouts "Prepare to be incinerated!" before launching its magical attack; Grüfeld creates a protective shield around him, negating any damage from its inital blast. Any subsequent magical attacks will only partially block the damage, as long as you stay inside the shield. Failure to do so will reduce your lifepoints to 1. Please note that if you and Delrith are inside the shield while he does the incineration blast, you will lose 1000 life-points.
If you are caught off-guard and Delrith is about to do the incineration blast, quickly turn Protect From Magic on to prevent heavy damage.
The demon can ONLY be fought with either Silverlight (or Darklight if the player had acquired it before the remake of the quest). An off-hand weapon can deal the killing blow, if you are wielding the Silverlight/Darklight in the main-hand slot.
If you die and lose Silverlight while fighting Delrith, you have to talk to Grufeld Bach at the Varrock Church in order to reclaim it.
After killing Delrith, the room will start to collapse, and Grüfeld will teleport you both back to the Saradomin church. Speak to him one final time to finish the quest.
Congratulations, quest complete!
- 3 Quest Points.
- 3 Xp lamps giving 100 experience in any combat stat, except Summoning and Prayer.
- The Silverlight sword, especially strong against demon-type monsters. If you lose it, you can get a new one from Grüfeld Bach.
- If you are a member, you can talk to Historian Minas at the Varrock Museum to receive 5 Kudos.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys for use in Treasure Hunter
- 2 Hearts of Ice for use in Treasure Hunter
Required for completingEdit
Completion of Demon Slayer is required for the following:
- Defender of Varrock
- Recipe for Disaster/Freeing the Lumbridge Sage
- Shadow of the Storm
- Desert Tasks:
- Pulling the sword Silverlight from the stone is a reference to Arthurian lore, in which Arthur proves his right to rule by pulling a sword from a stone.
- The Trial of Faith is very similar to the last trial for the Holy Grail in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where Indiana has to walk across a chasm and thereby prove his faith.
- At the start of the quest Bach says 'Listen very carefully, I will say this only once', which is a phrase used regularly in the 1980's sit-com, 'Allo 'Allo!.
- This quest has received the most reworks of any quests: it was reworked by Mod John A first and received a couple of graphical updates in 2009. In 2013, it underwent a full rework by Mod Liono. Finally, the dialogue and characters were thoroughly revisited in July 2014 by Mod Stu (with Mod Jack designing it).
- The Spirit of the Mind has several answers that may be considered 'subjective' (Silverlight as a musical troupe; the adventurer actually likes visiting catacombs), but will admit that they are not the correct answers it is looking for.
- If you destroyed the Silverlight obtained during the quest as a free player that had Shadow of the Storm completed, the quest became impossible to complete, as you would only be given Darklight back, which could not be equipped on free worlds. This was hot-fixed by making Bach always give both swords back.
- Along with Vampyre Slayer, A Shadow over Ashdale, Dragon Slayer and The Death of Chivalry, this quest is one of only 5 free-to-play quests that involve a boss.
|Novice||The Blood Pact • Cook's Assistant • The Death of Chivalry • Death Plateau • Demon Slayer • Druidic Ritual • Ernest the Chicken • Goblin Diplomacy • Gunnar's Ground • Imp Catcher • Let Them Eat Pie • Myths of the White Lands • Pirate's Treasure • The Restless Ghost • Rune Mysteries • A Shadow over Ashdale • Shield of Arrav • Stolen Hearts • Swept Away • Vampyre Slayer • Wolf Whistle • What's Mine is Yours|
|Intermediate||The Knight's Sword|
|Removed or significantly changed||Learning the Ropes • Prince Ali Rescue • Romeo & Juliet • Sheep Shearer • Unstable Foundations • Witch's Potion • Doric's Quest • Rune Mysteries • Demon Slayer • Black Knights' Fortress|
|Italics denote that the removed quest was later made into a miniquest.|