Defenders are off-hand equipment that are wielded in the shield slot and provide positive offensive and defensive bonuses. While these offer both armour and attack stats, defenders are considered weapons when using abilities. Their damage style is stab. To wield a defender, a player must have an Attack level high enough to wield a weapon of that metal and a Defence level high enough to wear armour of that metal. Jagex updated the look of the defenders on 9 August 2011.
|Defender metal||Levels required||Offhand||Defence|
When wielded with a Frostbite dagger, the dagger has an accuracy boost of 10%, however its normal maximum hit is decreased by 10.
Defenders are non-tradeable members-only items. They can only be obtained by killing the cyclopes or the cyclossus on the top floor of the Warriors' Guild. Twenty warrior guild tokens (or 15 if in multitoken mode) are used up for every minute spent in the cyclops room. Eventually, a cyclops will drop a bronze defender, and when a player has this, they need to show that to Kamfreena who is located just outside the room. The next time that player enters, Kamfreena will inform the player that the cyclopes will now drop the next-tier (iron) defender. The player will then have to kill cyclopes until they eventually receive this drop. This process is continued for steel, black, mithril, adamant, and rune; until the player finally gets to the dragon defender.
The time needed to obtain a defender varies and it generally takes between 700 and 2,400 tokens (about 1–4 hours) to get to a rune defender. However, it may take over 10,000 tokens to get to Rune, if you are extremely unlucky.
A Ring of Wealth does NOT affect a player's chance to receive a defender, because it's a unique drop from cyclopes and the cyclossus. However, the 'increased chance of defenders dropping' from multitoken mode appears to be very significant, and it is recommended that this method be used if hunting for defender drops.
If a player loses their defender, they will need to start over. Because of this, it is wise for a player to keep duplicate/lower-tier defenders in their bank, so that they can show Kamfreena and start on the defender they dropped. For example, if a player loses his or her dragon defender, but has a rune defender in the bank, the player can show Kamfreena the rune defender and not be forced to start over. Alternatively, the player can obtain two or more dragon defenders which only take up one bank slot.
Once you've got a certain level of defender, you can still get a lower level of defender. By using a lower level defender on Kamfreena, she will put out cyclops that drop one higher than that level, for instance, if you have a rune defender, and want more rune defenders, wield your rune defender, but use the adamant defender on Kamfreena. The new cyclops will drop rune defenders.
A teaser shown in a 'Good Morning Gielinor' stream on 21 October 2015 revealed a work-in-progress of new defenders that will be released into the game. Along with defenders that surpass dragon defenders, there will be defenders for the Ranged and Magic skill, though only the higher tiers will be available for these skills.
The defenders are planned to work as a monster drop component, where the component must be combined with a weapon of the same tier and type for the respective defender. Wielding or having a dragon defender or higher is required to receive the component as a drop. There are three tiers - level 70, which require a Barrows 2-handed weapon, level 80, which will require a new item bought for dungeoneering tokens, and a level 90, which will require an off-hand drygore mace, off-hand Ascension crossbow, or seismic singularity to be used for the melee, ranged and magic defenders respectively. They will be degradeable, and will be repairable for the same cost of an equivalent off-hand degrading weapon. They will not be able to be dyed.
The defenders will allow shield and dual-wielding abilities like others, but will offer a flat +3% accuracy bonus while equipped. They will be interactive with the set effect of Achto equipment, but will only be about a third of the damage boost.
Kamfreena responses -
- Bronze - "Bronze eh? The next cyclopes are ready, toddle in when you're ready."
- Iron - "Wow, iron eh? The next cyclopes are ready, toddle in when you're ready."
- Steel - "Strong as steel eh? The next cyclopes are ready, toddle in when you're ready."
- Black - "Black, hmmm, about half way to Rune then! Keep going! Cyclopes have been released, enter when you're ready."
- Mithril - "Mithril? Getting good at this aren't you? Ok, I've released those cyclopes that sometimes drop adamant defenders, enter when you're ready."
- Adamant - "An adamant defender, eh? Trying for the Rune defender I'm betting. Ok, I've released those cyclopes, enter when you're ready."
- Rune - "Well done, you truly are a brilliant warrior! I've released some cyclopes that may well drop a dragon defender, enter when you're ready."
- Dragon - "Well done! You truly are a warrior of the highest order! I've released the cyclopes; enter when you're ready."
- Defenders seem to be based on a main gauche (left hand), or parrying dagger, which is a defensive weapon used in fencing and rapier duels.
- After an update on 9 June 2010 the inventory icon was slightly altered.
- Several years ago it was possible to alch defenders, rune defenders alching at 30,000, adamant at 17,000, and anything below that anywhere from 300 coins to 7,000. This was before dragon defenders were released.