|Release date||17 March 2001 (Update)|
|High Alch||62 coins|
|Low Alch||41 coins|
|Store price|| 310 coins|
|Exchange price||167 coins (info)|
|Examine||A medium level catalytic rune.|
Death runes are used in great demand with mages that cast Ancient Magicks, as they are used in high level Ancient Magicks combat spells. The value of 1 Death rune in Investment Credits in Mobilising Armies is 94 Investment Credits.
These are also the most powerful rune stocked in any store in free-to-play even though they can only be used for one free-to-play spell requiring 85 Magic Teleport Block and can only be crafted by members after completing the quest Mourning's Ends Part II. However, before the Evolution of Combat update was released, non-members needed death runes to cast blast spells. However free players can craft it with 65 Runecrafting in dungeons of Daemonheim (members do not need to complete the quest to craft them in Daemonheim), making it the highest requirement rune to be crafted in Daemonheim for free players. However crafting them in Daemonheim as a free player is pointless because the only spell that they can use with Death runes is not available inside dungeons. Crafting them gives 10 experience per essence(or 0.2 experience per essence in Daemonheim). Prior to the update which gave most stores in RuneScape an infinite stock of their goods and a fixed price, death runes were often bought from magic stores until they ran out of stock because there was high demand and the store price was slightly under the street price. After the update, the store price was raised above the street price. However, due to the new update in which all stores are different for each player, players can only purchase a limited number of death runes in game each day, creating a lack of death rune and making it much harder to purchase large quantities quickly on the Grand Exchange. Members can create death runes using the Runecrafting skill at level 65 at the Death altar in the Temple of Light. In Runespan, Death Runes are worth 2.5 points each once siphoned.
|Price / Experience comparison|
|Grand Exchange price||GP / Exp|
Adult cats can be exchanged for 100 death runes with a Civilian in West Ardougne (or 200 death runes while possessing the Ardougne cloak 1 or better. Please note that you don't have to wear or carry it).
These spells can only be cast in pay-to-play:
- Enchant Crossbow Bolt (Onyx)
- Slayer Dart (requires level 55 Slayer and a Slayer staff or Staff of light)
- Rock Rush*
- Gale Rush*
- Bloodfire Rush*
- Ice Rush*
- Gale Burst*
- Rock Burst*
- Ice Burst*
- Bloodfire Burst*
- Vengeance Other**
For members there is a Death rune spawn in the Feldip Hills. It respawns 1 minute and 45 seconds after picking it up (see map for location).
This item can also be bought or sold at:
- Betty's Magic Emporium in Port Sarim (10)
- Aubury's Rune Shop in Varrock (10)
- The Mage of Zamorak north of Varrock, in the Wilderness (30-100 after completing the Abyss miniquest)
- Baba Yaga in the chicken leg house on Lunar Isle (300)
- The Wizards' Guild in Yanille (1000)
- Ali Morrisane in Al Kharid (100)
- Void Knight Outpost (100)
- Lundail's arena-side rune shop (mage arena shop) (300)
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Brine rat 70 7 Common Ankou 88,90 10/11 Common Cockroach soldier 52 1–15 Uncommon Ice giant 74 2–4 Rare Revenant dragon 93 125 Rare
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Infernal mage 104 7 Common King Black Dragon 120 7–45 Common Nechryael 138 5–10 Common Vyrelord 140 6–27 Common Vyrelady 140 5–24 Common Ganodermic beast 166 10–15 Common Lesser demon 100 3 Uncommon Saradomin wizard 108,140 45 Uncommon Guthix wizard 110,190 45 Uncommon Greater demon 118 5 Uncommon Chaos dworge 132 6 Uncommon Jungle strykewyrm 134 10 Uncommon Desert strykewyrm 148 15 Uncommon Grifolapine 148 9–13 Uncommon Ice strykewyrm 152 20 Uncommon Grifolaroo 164 5–10 Uncommon Ganodermic runt 166 5–6 Uncommon Revenant dark beast 130 120 Rare Iron dragon 148 15 Rare
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity K'ril Tsutsaroth 210 120–124 Common Corporal Beast 210 300 Common Queen Black Dragon 220 500 Uncommon Nex 220 5000 Rare
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Barrows chest N/A 1–174 Uncommon Rare drop table N/A 45,50 Rare
- The most death runes required for a spell are 2, for the Gale, Rock, Bloodfire and Ice Burst spells.
- The picture on a Death Rune shows a skull & X, which is most likely meant to imitate the jolly roger or more commonly known as the skull & crossbones.
- The Grim Reaper was rolling a Death Rune with his fingers in 2009 Hallowe'en event.
- The shop respawn time is about 10 seconds.
- Prior to the Evolution of Combat update, death runes were used in Blast spells, Surge spells, Blitz spells and Barrage spells. The removal of their usage in these spells caused a dramatic fall in their Grand Exchange price.
- When strykewyrms were released, the price of death runes gradually rose, due to the effectiveness of using these runes with high-level standard spellbook spells to kill them. This was negated with the Evolution of Combat update, as covered above.
- Despite the fact that death runes are rendered useless during free-to-play Dungeoneering, they are still allocated at the start of simple dungeons.