|Release date||5 February 2001 (Update)|
|XP per kill||557 (and 183.8 experience)|
|Examine text||I think this spider has been magically modified.|
Deadly red spiders are spiders found in several locations in RuneScape, especially in the Wilderness, Varrock sewers, and Karamja. Deadly red spiders have decent accuracy and can hit up to 272, with an attack speed of 6 (equivalent to scimitar/mace/dagger speed). Deadly red spiders count towards a Slayer task of spiders.
Deadly red spiders have become arguably the most effective training method in the Evolution of Combat because of their moderately high experience, and are easy to kill for players with decent combat skills, giving around 100k experience per hour, with high combat P2P players getting over 200k experience per hour. Their combat level was raised to 136, and they have also gained a ranged attack. However, after another buff, A player requires food to train even if the player has runite in Free-to-Play or even barrows. As a result, deadly red spiders are usually empty now in Free-to-Play worlds. With a ranged and defence level of 68, it is recommended to use either a Mace/Warhammer and a Shield for defence, accuracy, and use of Rejuvenate, or a Two-handed sword for raw damage per minute with a shield in your inventory to kill them. Deadly red spiders do not drop red spiders' eggs, However the eggs can often be found nearby, which are often used in Herblore, for making restore and super restore potions.As far as training in non-member areas is concerned, a free player who is not concerned with raising Prayer through monster drops and has at least 40 Fishing and Cooking would do well to train melee in the Karamja Dungeon due west of the Karamja volcano entrance. This is because this particular training spot is almost never crowded, and there is also a place to catch lobsters among other fish on the docks in Musa Point, located on the northern end of the island's surface. The presence of a tree that is able to be cut down near the docks means that a competent player will also be able to make fires and subsequently cook the fish they catch. There are also dead trees near the volcano dungeon entrance. All of these possibilities make it so that a self-sufficient player could potentially remain on Karamja and train on the spiders indefinitely.
- Near the end of the Varrock Sewers (9)
- Crandor and Karamja Dungeon (3)
- Edgeville Dungeon (levels 4 to 6 Wilderness)
- Eastern Ruins in the Wilderness
- Wilderness Rune Mine
- Chaos Tunnels
Free-to-play Melee TrainingEdit
For higher levels (recommended 70+ attack, strength, and defence), deadly red spiders provide the best melee experience for free players, up to 160k xp/hr, when killing them in the Varrock Sewers. By only using momentum, this reduces to the still-hefty 120k xp/hr at high levels (90+). Below is a guide for training melee at the deadly red spiders:
- Gravite 2h sword>Rune 2h sword
- Amulet of Strength>Amulet of Power
- Explorer's ring 4>Explorer's Ring 3
- Team cape
- Rune full helm
- Rune platebody
- Rune platelegs
- Rune gauntlets>Blue d'hide vambraces>Batwing gloves
- Fighting/Fancy boots>Batwing boots
- Gravite Rapier>Rune mace and Rune Kiteshield
- 2 Attack potions, 2 Strength potions, 2 Defence potions (optional)
- Expensive spices (optional)
- Lobsters/Swordfish for rest of inventory
Starting from Varrock East Bank, walk north, climb down the manhole to enter the Varrock Sewers, and run all the way to the end until you see the deadly red spiders, one-hitting the lower-levelled monsters along the way. Once you arrive, hop worlds if there are two or more players already there.
Before you start attacking, take a sip of your attack, strength, and defence potions. Drink your potions again each time the boosted levels have dropped by 5 levels. (For example, if you have 99 strength and the strength potion boosts you to 107, drink the potion again after it decreases to 102.) Be sure to constantly monitor your boosted levels to immediately drink the potion after the boosted level has dropped by 5 levels. This will maximize the time of the maximum boosted level. (For instance, this could mean having 20 seconds of 107 strength versus 20 seconds of 102 strength for each sip.)
Attack the deadly red spiders with your abilities as follows:
- Slaughter when the deadly red spider has high health - make sure you walk onto the square of the deadly red spider as you are swinging your sword for the attack (this forces it to move so it takes 3x damage for 3 of the 4 bleeds) -> this means the total damage will be 10x the original hit, so if you initially hit 340+, you should move on to the next spider as Slaughter will deal a total of 3400+ damage, which is all of the deadly red spider's life points
- Overpower when the deadly red spider has full health, wait for a new kill if necessary
- Use Rejuvenate when it is ready (switch to your Gravite Rapier/Rune mace and Rune Kiteshield and attack the deadly red spiders until Rejuvenate fully completes, then immediately switch back to your Rune/Gravite 2h sword)
As you eat food and free up inventory space, you can pick up the red spiders' eggs for decent money. When you have consumed all of your food, bank and go again.
Drops (members only)Edit
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 48,405 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Banana 2 Very rare 292
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune arrow 10 Very rare 1,990 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Spin ticket 1 Very rare Not sold
- The examine used to say, "I think this spider has been genetically modified."