|Release date||14 November 2005 (Update)|
|Quest item||Shadow of the Storm|
|Alchemy||Cannot be alchemised|
|Destroy||You can reclaim it from Gideon Bede in the Saradomin church in Varrock.|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Examine||The magical sword Silverlight, enhanced with the blood of Agrith-Naar.|
Darklight is a magic sword created from the sword Silverlight during the Shadow of the Storm quest. In that quest, Silverlight is transformed into Darklight after being dyed with black mushroom ink and then being used to destroy the demon Agrith-Naar, which coats it in ichor. Both Silverlight and Darklight can be mounted on the wall of a Quest Hall in a player's home.
If a player loses Darklight, it can be retrieved by talking to Gideon Bede in the church north of the Varrock museum. It may be necessary to start the reworked version of Demon Slayer before Darklight will be offered.
A player wielding Darklight
Interval: 3.0 seconds
|[view] • [talk]|
Against regular enemies, Darklight is a fairly weak weapon with bonuses equal to those of a steel longsword. However, when using the sword to fight most varieties of demon, it will gain a large accuracy increase (enough to accurately hit mid-level demons resistant to melee) and deal double damage with abilities and auto-attacks. Additionally, Darklight is used to remove the fire shield from a tormented demon, the only other way being holy water. Darklight can also be used to kill vampyres.
After Dimension of Disaster, it is possible to improve the passive damage boost to 2.5x and use Darklight to smash gargoyles. If paired with a strong off-hand, this upgrade gives Darklight superior damage-per-second over even drygore weaponry when used against the affected monsters. In addition, if fighting tormented demons, Darklight will drastically increase the damage cap at which the demon will switch prayers.
Darklight can be upgraded to cause more damage to demons, as well as be able to smash gargoyles if the quicker killing blows Slayer ability has been unlocked. The upgrade can be bought for five silver pennies in Gypsy Aris's Dimension of Disaster reward shop. The upgraded darklight will:
- Add 750 rather than 500 to base hit chance against demons
- Triple rather than double damage against demons
- Its special attack drains the demon's Attack, Strength and Defence by 15 rather than 10 and by 10 rather than 5 for non-demons.
When used with the Balanced Strike ability, the damage dealt will be boosted 2.5x if used against affected monsters. This allows for one hit kills on full health enemies (that have 12,000 or fewer lifepoints) whenever the player is at 60% health or below. This has no effect on the amount of health healed.
The following creatures will take increased damage from Darklight:
Darklight's special attack reduces its target's Attack, Strength and Defence by 5. Against demons, this is more effective so stats are drained by 10. If darklight is upgraded, the stat drain is 10 normally and 15 against demons instead. In PvP situations, the stat drain remains 5 even if upgraded.
Despite the description, the stat drain is actually a fixed drain, and not a percentile drain.
- The Varrock Museum display plaque calls Silverlight, and therefore Darklight as well, a sword made of steel. Both Darklight and Silverlight may be used to slay vampyres, who can normally only be damaged by weapons made of silver. This discrepancy can be explained by the "magical treatment" alluded to by the Varrock museum's display and by the God letters, where Guthix claims responsibility for the creation of Silverlight to restore balance following the appearance of Delrith.
- If Darklight is used on Sir Prysin, he will believe a key is given to him (like in the Demon Slayer quest).
- Even though Bloodveld are a type of Chthonian demon, Darklight does not provide a damage bonus when used against them.
- Prior to 27 April 2015, Darklight's upgraded version used to be stronger than any melee weapon in the game against any demons. However, because of the nerf, the upgraded version appears to be weaker than before the release of Dimension of Disaster.