The Dagannoth Kings are considered one of the best bosses to kill for money. They drop dragon hatchets, berserker rings, archers' rings, warrior rings, seers' rings, and other drops relatively often. Using a pack yak will further increase your profit as you will be able to bank the dagannoth bones and dagannoth hides you receive. Using Fremennik boots 4 will increase profit as the bones will become noted.
The Dagannoth Kings reside in the sixth level of the Waterbirth Island Dungeon. Players will need to get past a series of doors and then run through the dungeon to reach the Dagannoth Kings. To do so, have a friend or two who know the way come to let you through the doors and possibly to bless your grave if you die.
The best way to get to the Dagannoth Kings is to teleport to the house portal in Rellekka or run north from the Seers' Village, and then take the boat to Waterbirth Island. You will appear at the southwestern corner of the island and need to run counter-clockwise around the perimeter of the island until you reach a dungeon entrance. Rest here until you obtain full run energy. Alternatively, you can use the Enchanted Lyre to teleport either to Rellekka or the Waterbirth Island Dungeon entrance, though this consumes an inventory space.
Entering this entrance takes you into the main room, largely populated by melee-using dagannoths. You will then have to run east until you reach the eastern wall. Both you and your partner should stand on the pressure plates on the northern door (the one leading to the giant rock crabs), open the door, run to the southern door (the one leading to ranged-using dagannoths), stand on its pressure plates, and open it. One of you will have to run north and go through the northern door, which should still be open, while the other runs through the southern door and switches to deflect missiles. At the end of the halls, you will be facing each other across two targets. One of you will need a ranged weapon to shoot down one of the targets, allowing the other through. He can simply melee the door from behind. Climb up the ladder and rest.
Once rested, activate deflect magic. You will need to climb down the ladder twice, leaving you in a small room with wallasalkis, who attack with magic. Always have deflect magic active when in a room with wallasalkis, or you can be quickly killed! Run east and climb down the ladder.
This room is full of giant rock crabs, which do not notice you if you remain behind the ladder. You can rest in here to regain your run energy, then run southeast around the wall and climb down the ladder.
then You will now be in the area with the rock lobsters. These monsters attack very quickly (throwing knife speed) and can hit very hard. Furthermore, they tend to stack up, leading to large piles that can kill you with one hit. They tend not to notice you if you do not move from behind the ladder, so you can rest for the final run into the Dagannoth Kings' lair. Drink your stat-boosting potions, and heal up here. Run east, go around the bend, and head southwest until the room begins to open up into a very large and relatively dangerous room filled with wallasalkis, rock lobsters, and dagannoths. Activate deflect magic and make sure your melee armour is equipped now. Run east and slightly south and climb down the ladder by the exit to the cavern. You will be in the lair of the Dagannoth Kings, and will likely get piled by all three. If another team is already there, climb up, run east through the passageway to the small summoning obelisk, and log out in the safespot there.
The Kings reside on the sixth floor (the deepest) in Waterbirth Island Dungeon.
- Dagannoth Prime is the deadliest Dagannoth King. He is almost immune to melee and magic attacks, despite being a mage, so you must kill him with ranged. Despite this, his defence against ranged is still relatively high.
- Dagannoth Rex uses melee on players, hitting multiple players at a time if they stand beside each other in a similar manner to the dragon halberd. He has very high defence against melee and ranged attacks, but is extremely weak to magic. Even players in full melee armour can hit consistently on Rex if they are using a staff like the polypore staff. He drops the most valuable item, the berserker ring.
- Dagannoth Supreme uses ranged attacks on players. He does not use magical ranged like many players believe. (This is easily demonstrated by wearing ranged armor, which he hits through consistently, as opposed to melee armour, which lessens the number of his hits considerably.) He has very low defence to melee attacks, especially stab. His ranged attack is a barb from his back, and he will launch multiples if players stand beside each other.
- Spinolyps inhabit the moat surrounding the Dagannoth Kings' island. They do not hit very high or very accurately, but their ranged attacks poison you and their magic attacks drain ten prayer points if they hit. They are also very weak following the Evolution of Combat update and are very easy to kill.
Following the Evolution of Combat, the Kings have much more health. You'll need the highest level weaponry you can provide yourself to kill them quickly.
Rex and PrimeEdit
This setup only uses Ranged and Magic combat, and is very easy to do yourself. All you need are the following supplies:
- Helm: Full slayer helm (only on task) > Virtus mask/Pernix cowl > Barrows helm
- Body (magic): Superior sea singer's robe top > Virtus robe top > Ganodermic poncho > Ahrim's robe top
- Legs (magic): Superior sea singer's robe bottom > Virtus robe bottoms > Ganodermic leggings > Ahrim's robe skirt
- Body (ranged): Superior death lotus chestplate > Pernix body > Karil's top > Royal d'hide body
- Legs (ranged): Superior death lotus chaps > Pernix chaps > Karil's skirt > Royal d'hide chaps
- Gloves: Ganodermic gloves > Culinaromancer's gloves 10 > Dragon rider gloves
- Weapon (magic): Chaotic staff > Staff of light > Polypore staff
- Weapon (ranged): Ascension crossbow (and off-hand) > Zaryte bow > Royal crossbow > Crystal bow > Karil's crossbow
- Ammo (only for crossbows): Royal bolts (ascension/royal) > Bolt rack (Karil's)
- Boots: Dragon rider boots
- Aura: Vampyrism
- Cape: Completionist cape > Max cape > Skill capes
- Ring: Ring of wealth
Using this method, you should have the following abilities in your ability bars:
- Magic: Impact, Wild Magic, Wrack, Combust
- Ranged: Binding Shot, Snipe, Debilitate, Rapid Fire, Fragmentation Shot, Deadshot
- Constitution: Guthix's Blessing or Regenerate
This setup only uses Magic, and is mostly used because Rex is the easiest out of all the Kings, and has the best rare drops then the other Kings.
- Helm: Full slayer helm (only on task) > Superior sea singer's hood > Virtus mask > Ahrim's hood
- Body: Superior sea singer's robe top > Virtus robe top > Ahrim's robe top
- Legs: Superior sea singer's robe bottom > Virtus robe bottom > Ahrim's robe bottom
- Weapon: Chaotic staff > Staff of light > Polypore staff > Ahrim's staff
- Gloves: Ganodermic gloves
- Boots: Ganodermic boots
- Cape: Completionist cape > Max cape > Skill capes
- Ring: Ring of wealth
Using this method, lure Rex to his side of the islet and safespot him.
Extremely dangerous, you should not use this method unless you have very high stats and expensive gears to take them on. Each King can hit extremely accurate and hard on you.
- Helm: Full Slayer helm (only on task) > Superior tetsu helm
- Body: (see above)
- Legs: (see above)
- Weapon: (see above methods)
- Melee weapons: Dual drygores > Zamorakian spear > Dual chaotics
- Cape: (see above methods)
- Aura: Vampyrism
- Gloves: (see above)
- Ring: Ring of wealth
- Ammo: (see above)
Using these methods, upon entering, use your melee weapon of choice to kill Supreme. Use a protect/deflect curse on the style you are weak to, and Deblitate the other King that is attacking you so you can cut it's attack damage on you by 50%. Kill Dagannoth Supreme, and swap to your magic gear. Switch your protect/deflect prayers to Magic, as it is very easy to safespot Rex. Once Rex dies, swap to your ranged gear and kill Prime. If Prime takes too long for you to kill, it is best to wait for Rex to spawn, kill him, and then kill the weakened Prime and then go after Supreme.
Using this method, you should have the following abilities on your ability bar:
- Melee: Slice, Dismember, Slaughter, Assault, Destroy, Berserk, Debilitate, Punish, Backhand or Kick
- Magic: Impact, Combust, Metamorphosis, Sonic Wave, Wrack, Wild Magic
- Ranged: Debilitate, Binding Shot, Rapid Fire, Bombardment, Fragmentation Shot, Deadshot, Snipe
If you feel you are killing too slow, use the damage boosting abilties to kill them twice as fast, and it will keep up your kill rate.
It is preferred to use a Beast of Burden so you can transport your goods and last longer. Healing familiars should go directly after them.
When using Beast of Burdens, have a ratio of Prayer potions to Rocktails, preferably 5:4, as you will constantly use your prayers/curses to heal or block off damage from the King. A Super restore is optional, but recommended as the nearest obelisk is not far but a King could spawn or another player may crash you when you re-enter. Two to three packs are recommended if you plan to stay for a long time, and if you are using a Pak Yak, bring Winter Storage pouches to send items to your bank.
How to kill the KingsEdit
The Kings reside in a circular islet, with each King having their own "private" zone and a zone where they all meet each other. When there are all three Kings in the arena, try to stay as far as you can from the middle because it is very dangerous to be hit by all three of them at once. Prayers only will block 50% of one of their attacks, while the other two can hit for 100%. If you are spotted by one of the Kings, they will keep attacking you until you leave by any means or kill them. The only way to get them off you is by them getting distracted by another player.
When killing Dagannoth Rex, lure him away from the other two kings. He will home in on you very quickly, and you can either stun safespot him or just use the ragged edges of the islet to safespot him. When killing Dagannoth Prime, stay on his side of the islet (the top part) with a ranged weapon. If you get too close to him, Supreme will come in and interrupt the fight, which can be problematic when you are low on food. When killing Dagannoth Supreme, lure him to the ladder, the top or the sides (depending on which way he moves when you're under him), so if one of the other Kings spawn, you decrease your chances of being spotted by them.
The Dagannoth Kings drop such good items often. Always pick the bones up as each one is worth enough to pay for some of the items used to kill them. Being a boss Dagannoth, they will always drop the unique Dagannoth bones, and their hides, which less expensive then the bones, but the hides are used to create Spirit dagannoths. If you are using Fremennik boots 4, the bones will turn into a bank note, meaning more profit per kill, as you can have one inventory slot full of bones that can make a difference in your profits.
Because all three drop the Dragon hatchet, getting this item is three times as more common then any other rare drop they can give you. Since all three are also capable of dropping clue scrolls, they are three times as more common too.
When killing the Kings, you'll want to grab very good noted items that they drop. Such noted items to pick up from these Kings are shown below. Some noted drops may be rare, and it is optional to leave on the ground as you could have food replace the slot instead, making a trip much more longer.
- Dagannoth Rex: Dagannoth bones, Mithril ore, Coal
- Dagannoth Supreme: Dagannoth bones, Yew logs, Runite bolts
- Dagannoth Prime: Dagannoth bones, Pure essence, Earth talisman, Water talisman, Battlestaff
If soloing the Kings, be wary that they can drop Fremennik helms, Fremennik shields, and Fremennik blades also. Despite being untradeable items, they have a very good high-alching price. Note: Only pick up the bones if you have completed the Elite Fremmenik Tasks. The Kings can also drop parts of their respective level 50 gears, such as Rock-shell, Spined and Skeletal. Supreme and Prime can also drop Archer helms and Farseer helms respectively.
See the three King's articles for other drops.
|King||Dragon hatchet drop?||Seer's Ring drop?||Mud Battlestaff Drop?||Archer's Ring drop?||Seercull drop?||Berserker's ring drop?||Warrior's ring drop?||Clue scroll (hard/elite) drop?|