|Examine||Attuned with nature.|
Only one crystal tree is active at a time, and will switch location randomly every two hours. When they are active, the crystals at the base are much larger. Right-clicking and choosing to "Look at" an active tree will prompt the message, "This tree points to the heavens." Right-clicking to "Look at" an inactive tree prompts a message that says "The tree leans slightly towards the [direction of the active tree].", allowing players to follow in the direction shown to that particular active tree. The crystal tree's re-spawn time is the same on every world, though the active location differs.
When cutting the crystal tree, players may come across a crystal geode that may contain several rewards such as crystal triskelion fragments, crystal seeds and valuable gems. Using a tree-shaking scrimshaw or a superior tree-shaking scrimshaw increases the chance of obtaining drops by 300% and 400% respectively. A rabbit-foot necklace also increases the chances of obtaining drops.
One way of making it easier to find crystal trees is by joining a friend chat dedicated to tracking crystal tree locations which players may find in different worlds. In these, players can share their reports with other players that are also looking for active crystal trees and then, based on the hints given by spirit trees, players determine where crystal trees may spawn.
With the release of the elf city players can now tune portals to the active crystal tree, this however requires a Quest Cape or 99 in at least one skill to use however, but can be used to help locate the tree for friends.
Since the original release of elf city, players are able to plant a crystal tree at the crystal tree patch in Prifddinas. Doing so requires a crystal acorn, along with a farming level of 94. Planting the seed yields 50,000 experience in farming. The tree may then be harvested for a Crystal tree blossom once every day, resetting at 00:00 UTC, yielding an additional 15,000 farming experience.
On the world map, the locations of the crystal trees form the symbol of Seren, a rhombus.
Right-clicking "Look at crystal tree" will prompt a message:
- Active tree: "This tree points to the heavens."
- Inactive tree: "The tree leans slightly towards the [direction of the active tree]."
Upon the release of Prifddinas, and with it the Max Guild, it is now possible to teleport directly to an active crystal tree. Travel to the Max Guild in the south-east of Prifddinas and enter through the gate, then click on one of the portals located on the Eastern wall just inside the gate. This will give you the option of attuning the portal to various locations and activities, for crystal trees you should select the "Active Crystal Tree" option.
The list below is the location order in clockwise direction around the Rhombus starting from Prifddinas.
|South-east of the Prifddinas lodestone.
This tree must first be grown using a Crystal acorn on the farming patch.
|Prifddinas lodestone, Clan Vexillum|
|Tree Gnome Stronghold near the Gnomeball||Spirit tree, Gnome glider|
|South East of Lighthouse||Games necklace, Enchanted lyre, Rellekka tablet|
|Seers' Village, by the flax field||Camelot teleport, Seers' lodestone|
|Near the Dark Wizard's Tower||Falador teleport, Clan vexillum, Skills necklace|
|West side of Brimhaven||Brimhaven tablet, Amulet of Glory, Karamja lodestone, Spirit tree|
|South of Yanille||Yanille lodestone, Watchtower teleport|
|West of the Observatory; north of Castle Wars.||Ring of duelling, Ourania Teleport|
- When the elder and crystal trees were first released, a message sometimes appeared in players' chat boxes saying: "New Elder and Crystal trees are waiting for Yew!"
- There are a number of Easter eggs related to crystal trees. These include:
- Using a crystal seed, crystal teleport seed, crystal trinket or crystal bow on a crystal tree shard results in the message "The crystal resonates slightly".
- Using a complete crystal key on a crystal tree shard results in a message saying that "You'll have to do better than that to get another crystal key."
- Using a cannonball or gnomeball on a crystal tree shard results in a message saying "You won't be able to see into the future with these."
- Using wheat on a crystal tree shard results in a message saying "Well it's not quite the Crystal Maize, now is it?", a reference to The Crystal Maze.
- Using a silver or gold Castle Wars ticket on a crystal tree shard results in a message saying "Not exactly a Fortress of Solitude is it?", a reference to Superman's secret headquarters.
- Using an Ex-ex-parrot on a crystal tree shard results in a message saying "Ah, Polycrystal, I see what you did there."
- With the release of the trees, a blank white area appeared next to the Exiled Kalphite Hive, which contained many elder and crystal trees, elder pyre logs and funeral pyres. This was used to test the trees before release.
- With the release of Prifddinas, the Crystal tree patch was released, located on the south-east balcony of the Tower of Voices.