|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Examine|| A crystal key can open it.|
The crystal key chest is a treasure chest in Taverley that is famous for containing uncut dragonstones, among other things. The chest, located in Ivy Sophista's house, is locked and can only be opened by a crystal key. The crystal key is made up of a loop half of a key and the tooth half of a key; you can make the crystal key by using them with each other, or selecting the "Assemble" option. The crystal key sells for more than most of the rewards, making it more monetarily satisfying to sell the key. When the key is used it disappears, so opening the chest is a gamble.
Attempting to open the chest without the crystal key yields the message: "This chest is securely locked shut."
The chest loot always includes an uncut dragonstone, together with a random reward generated from 13 possible reward tables. Below are the values of the chest's contents, based on current Grand Exchange prices.
After an update, wearing a ring of wealth will increase your chances of getting a better drop. It is only possible to obtain rune platelegs if you are a male character, and a rune plateskirt if you are female character.
Possibility 1 - Fruit tree seedEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 15,600 Calquat tree seed 1 Common 15,682 Papaya tree seed 1 Common 51,149 Palm tree seed 1 Common 107,435
- ^ a b c With Possibility 1, you are guaranteed to get either a calquat tree seed, a papaya tree seed or a palm tree seed. Both the calquat and papaya tree seed have a probability of 5:11 (45.45%), and the palm tree seed has a probability of 1:11 (9%).
Possibility 2 - Lantadyme seedsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 15,600 Lantadyme seed 2 Always 86,804
Possibility 3 - Grimy torstolsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 15,600 Grimy torstol 2 Always 15,190
Possibility 4 - RunesEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 15,600 Law rune 50 Always 16,150 Chaos rune 50 Always 2,050 Cosmic rune 50 Always 14,000 Death rune 50 Always 8,450 Nature rune 50 Always 15,200 Body rune 200 Always 800 Mind rune 200 Always 1,000 Earth rune 200 Always 2,800 Air rune 200 Always 4,800 Water rune 200 Always 5,600 Fire rune 200 Always 10,000
Possibility 5 - Iron oreEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 15,600 Iron ore 200 (noted) Always 77,600
Possibility 6 - CoalEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 15,600 Coal 150 (noted) Always 33,600
Possibility 7 - Rune barsEdit
Possibility 8 - GemsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 15,600 Uncut diamond 3 Always 22,281 Uncut ruby 3 Always 10,758
Possibility 9 - Loop half of a keyEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 15,600 Loop half of a key 1 Always 18,544 Coins 15,000 Always Not sold
Possibility 10 - Tooth half of a keyEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 15,600 Tooth half of a key 1 Always 42,254 Coins 15,000 Always Not sold
Possibility 11 - Rune platebodyEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 15,600 Rune platebody 1 Always 37,847
Possibility 12 - Rune platelegs or plateskirtEdit
The expected value of Possibility 12 is 52,570 for male characters and 53,222 for female characters, which is a profit/loss of -13,045 for male characters and -12,393 for female characters, if buying the crystal key on the GE.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 15,600 Rune platelegs 1 Common 36,970 Rune plateskirt 1 Common 37,622
- ^ a b With Possibility 12, you are guaranteed to get either a rune platelegs or rune plateskirt. Male characters will always receive a rune platelegs, while female characters will always receive a rune plateskirt.
Possibility 13 - Dragonstone armourEdit
- Receiving this possibility is very rare.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 15,600 Dragonstone helm 1 Common 19,562,130 Dragonstone hauberk 1 Common 51,443,251 Dragonstone greaves 1 Common 27,913,655 Dragonstone gauntlets 1 Common 16,685,388 Dragonstone boots 1 Common 17,333,826
- ^ a b c d e With Possibility 13, you are guaranteed to get exactly one piece of dragonstone armour. Each piece has the same probability of being received.
- The probabilities in this section are an estimation based on the data of 1134 crystal chest loots, while wearing a ring of wealth.
|Possibility 1: Fruit tree seed||8.02%|
|Possibility 2: Lantadyme seeds||9.61%|
|Possibility 3: Grimy torstols||9.96%|
|Possibility 4: Runes||7.5%|
|Possibility 5: Iron ore||8.47%|
|Possibility 6: Coal||9.17%|
|Possibility 7: Rune bars||9.61%|
|Possibility 8: Gems||9.61%|
|Possibility 9: Loop half of a key||7.94%|
|Possibility 10: Tooth half of a key||6.61%|
|Possibility 11: Rune platebody||5.03%|
|Possibility 12: Rune platelegs or plateskirt||8.47%|
|Possibility 13: Dragonstone armour||< 0.01%|
- ^ The runescape wiki lists the probability of receiving a calquat or papaya tree seed at 5:11 (45.45%) each and the probability of receiving a palm tree seed at 1:11 (9%). This data shows a probability of 49.45% for the calquat, 47.25% for the papaya, and 3.30% for the palm tree seed.
Using these probabilities, the expected average profit/loss, per crystal key, when looting the crystal chest is -2,354. (Assuming you will receive whichever of the rune platelegs and rune plateskirt is worth more, and the crystal key is bought at GE price). This is excluding the possibility of receiving a dragonstone armour piece, as this possibility is much too rare to estimate with any acceptable accuracy.
- The crystal key chest was reworked on 11 June 2013 with the release of the Triskelion Treasures. Previous old drops, such as receiving 2000 coins and a Spinach roll along with an Uncut dragonstone, were removed, and new ones were added, such as the Dragonstone armour.