|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Examine|| A crystal key can open it.|
The crystal key chest is a treasure chest in Taverley that is famous for containing uncut dragonstones, among other things. The chest, located in Ivy Sophista's house, is locked and can only be opened by a crystal key. The crystal key is made up of a loop half of a key and the tooth half of a key; you can make the crystal key by using them with each other, or selecting the "Assemble" option. The crystal key sells for more than most of the rewards, making it more monetarily satisfying to sell the key. When the key is used it disappears, so opening the chest is a gamble.
Attempting to open the chest without the crystal key yields the message: "This chest is securely locked shut."
The chest loot always includes an uncut dragonstone, together with a random reward generated from 13 possible reward tables. Below are the values of the chest's contents, based on current Grand Exchange prices.
After an update, wearing a ring of wealth will increase your chances of getting a better drop. It is only possible to obtain rune platelegs if you are a male character, and a rune plateskirt if you are female character.
Possibility 1 - Fruit tree seedEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 17,354 Calquat tree seed 1 Common 11,743 Papaya tree seed 1 Common 45,430 Palm tree seed 1 Common 122,254
- ^ a b c With Possibility 1, you are guaranteed to get either a calquat tree seed, a papaya tree seed or a palm tree seed. Both the calquat and papaya tree seed have a probability of 5:11 (45.45%), and the palm tree seed has a probability of 1:11 (9%).
Possibility 2 - Lantadyme seedsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 17,354 Lantadyme seed 2 Always 77,092
Possibility 3 - Grimy torstolsEdit
Possibility 4 - RunesEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 17,354 Law rune 50 Always 14,900 Chaos rune 50 Always 2,050 Cosmic rune 50 Always 14,600 Death rune 50 Always 5,600 Nature rune 50 Always 16,500 Body rune 200 Always 1,600 Mind rune 200 Always 1,000 Earth rune 200 Always 2,600 Air rune 200 Always 7,800 Water rune 200 Always 4,400 Fire rune 200 Always 10,000
Possibility 5 - Iron oreEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 17,354 Iron ore 200 (noted) Always 77,200
Possibility 6 - CoalEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 17,354 Coal 150 (noted) Always 28,350
Possibility 7 - Rune barsEdit
Possibility 8 - GemsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 17,354 Uncut diamond 3 Always 25,479 Uncut ruby 3 Always 12,006
Possibility 9 - Loop half of a keyEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 17,354 Loop half of a key 1 Always 26,385 Coins 15,000 Always Not sold
Possibility 10 - Tooth half of a keyEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 17,354 Tooth half of a key 1 Always 42,768 Coins 15,000 Always Not sold
Possibility 11 - Rune platebodyEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 17,354 Rune platebody 1 Always 37,883
Possibility 12 - Rune platelegs or plateskirtEdit
The expected value of Possibility 12 is 54,610 for male characters and 54,777 for female characters, which is a profit/loss of -16,149 for male characters and -15,982 for female characters, if buying the crystal key on the GE.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 17,354 Rune platelegs 1 Common 37,256 Rune plateskirt 1 Common 37,423
- ^ a b With Possibility 12, you are guaranteed to get either a rune platelegs or rune plateskirt. Male characters will always receive a rune platelegs, while female characters will always receive a rune plateskirt.
Possibility 13 - Dragonstone armourEdit
- Receiving this possibility is very rare.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 17,354 Dragonstone helm 1 Common 18,814,663 Dragonstone hauberk 1 Common 49,537,267 Dragonstone greaves 1 Common 26,769,531 Dragonstone gauntlets 1 Common 16,271,285 Dragonstone boots 1 Common 16,676,710
- ^ a b c d e With Possibility 13, you are guaranteed to get exactly one piece of dragonstone armour. Each piece has the same probability of being received.
- The probabilities in this section are an estimation based on the data of 1134 crystal chest loots, while wearing a ring of wealth.
|Possibility 1: Fruit tree seed||8.02%|
|Possibility 2: Lantadyme seeds||9.61%|
|Possibility 3: Grimy torstols||9.96%|
|Possibility 4: Runes||7.5%|
|Possibility 5: Iron ore||8.47%|
|Possibility 6: Coal||9.17%|
|Possibility 7: Rune bars||9.61%|
|Possibility 8: Gems||9.61%|
|Possibility 9: Loop half of a key||7.94%|
|Possibility 10: Tooth half of a key||6.61%|
|Possibility 11: Rune platebody||5.03%|
|Possibility 12: Rune platelegs or plateskirt||8.47%|
|Possibility 13: Dragonstone armour||< 0.01%|
- ^ The runescape wiki lists the probability of receiving a calquat or papaya tree seed at 5:11 (45.45%) each and the probability of receiving a palm tree seed at 1:11 (9%). This data shows a probability of 49.45% for the calquat, 47.25% for the papaya, and 3.30% for the palm tree seed.
Using these probabilities, the expected average profit/loss, per crystal key, when looting the crystal chest is -7,257. (Assuming you will receive whichever of the rune platelegs and rune plateskirt is worth more, and the crystal key is bought at GE price). This is excluding the possibility of receiving a dragonstone armour piece, as this possibility is much too rare to estimate with any acceptable accuracy.
- The crystal key chest was reworked on 11 June 2013 with the release of the Triskelion Treasures. Previous old drops, such as receiving 2000 coins and a Spinach roll along with an Uncut dragonstone, were removed, and new ones were added, such as the Dragonstone armour.