|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Examine|| A crystal key can open it.|
The crystal key chest is a treasure chest in Taverley that is famous for containing uncut dragonstones, among other things. The chest, located in Ivy Sophista's house, is locked and can only be opened by a crystal key. The crystal key is made up of a loop half of a key and the tooth half of a key; you can make the crystal key by using them with each other, or selecting the "Assemble" option. The crystal key sells for more than most of the rewards, making it more monetarily satisfying to sell the key. When the key is used it disappears, so opening the chest is a gamble.
Attempting to open the chest without the crystal key yields the message: "This chest is securely locked shut."
The chest loot always includes an uncut dragonstone, together with a random reward generated from 13 possible reward tables. Below are the values of the chest's contents, based on current Grand Exchange prices.
After an update, wearing a ring of wealth will increase your chances of getting a better drop. It is only possible to obtain rune platelegs if you are a male character, and a rune plateskirt if you are female character.
Possibility 1 - Fruit tree seedEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 16,680 Calquat tree seed 1 Common 12,677 Papaya tree seed 1 Common 49,854 Palm tree seed 1 Common 143,989
- ^ a b c With Possibility 1, you are guaranteed to get either a calquat tree seed, a papaya tree seed or a palm tree seed. Both the calquat and papaya tree seed have a probability of 5:11 (45.45%), and the palm tree seed has a probability of 1:11 (9%).
Possibility 2 - Lantadyme seedsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 16,680 Lantadyme seed 2 Always 87,790
Possibility 3 - Grimy torstolsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 16,680 Grimy torstol 2 Always 11,636
Possibility 4 - RunesEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 16,680 Law rune 50 Always 17,300 Chaos rune 50 Always 2,100 Cosmic rune 50 Always 14,900 Death rune 50 Always 5,200 Nature rune 50 Always 14,200 Body rune 200 Always 1,000 Mind rune 200 Always 800 Earth rune 200 Always 2,200 Air rune 200 Always 5,400 Water rune 200 Always 3,800 Fire rune 200 Always 4,400
Possibility 5 - Iron oreEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 16,680 Iron ore 200 (noted) Always 71,400
Possibility 6 - CoalEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 16,680 Coal 150 (noted) Always 25,050
Possibility 7 - Rune barsEdit
Possibility 8 - GemsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 16,680 Uncut diamond 3 Always 26,490 Uncut ruby 3 Always 14,877
Possibility 9 - Loop half of a keyEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 16,680 Loop half of a key 1 Always 25,472
Possibility 10 - Tooth half of a keyEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 16,680 Tooth half of a key 1 Always 41,357
Possibility 11 - Rune platebodyEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 16,680 Rune platebody 1 Always 38,249
Possibility 12 - Rune platelegs or plateskirtEdit
The expected value of Possibility 12 is 54,003 for male characters and 54,292 for female characters, which is a profit/loss of -16,492 for male characters and -16,203 for female characters, if buying the crystal key on the GE.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 16,680 Rune platelegs 1 Common 37,323 Rune plateskirt 1 Common 37,612
- ^ a b With Possibility 12, you are guaranteed to get either a rune platelegs or rune plateskirt. Male characters will always receive a rune platelegs, while female characters will always receive a rune plateskirt.
Possibility 13 - Dragonstone armourEdit
- Receiving this possibility is very rare.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Uncut dragonstone 1 Always 16,680 Dragonstone helm 1 Common 18,467,401 Dragonstone hauberk 1 Common 47,721,661 Dragonstone greaves 1 Common 25,782,492 Dragonstone gauntlets 1 Common 16,271,285 Dragonstone boots 1 Common 16,676,710
- ^ a b c d e With Possibility 13, you are guaranteed to get exactly one piece of dragonstone armour. Each piece has the same probability of being received.
- The probabilities in this section are an estimation based on the data of 1026 crystal chest loots, while wearing a ring of wealth.
|Possibility 1: Fruit tree seed||8.09%|
|Possibility 2: Lantadyme seeds||10.43%|
|Possibility 3: Grimy torstols||9.84%|
|Possibility 4: Runes||6.73%|
|Possibility 5: Iron ore||8.48%|
|Possibility 6: Coal||9.06%|
|Possibility 7: Rune bars||9.16%|
|Possibility 8: Gems||9.94%|
|Possibility 9: Loop half of a key||7.89%|
|Possibility 10: Tooth half of a key||6.43%|
|Possibility 11: Rune platebody||5.07%|
|Possibility 12: Rune platelegs or plateskirt||8.87%|
|Possibility 13: Dragonstone armour||< 0.01%|
- ^ The runescape wiki lists the probability of receiving a calquat or papaya tree seed at 5:11 (45.45%) each and the probability of receiving a palm tree seed at 1:11 (9%). This data shows a probability of 48.19% for each of the calquat and papaya tree seeds, and 3.61% for the palm tree seed.
Using these probabilities, the expected average profit/loss, per crystal key, when looting the crystal chest is -9,416. (Assuming you will receive whichever of the rune platelegs and rune plateskirt is worth more, and the crystal key is bought at GE price). This is excluding the possibility of receiving a dragonstone armour piece, as this possibility is much too rare to estimate with any acceptable accuracy.
- The crystal key chest was reworked on 11 June 2013 with the release of the Triskelion Treasures. Previous old drops, such as receiving 2000 coins and a Spinach roll along with an Uncut dragonstone, were removed, and new ones were added, such as the Dragonstone armour.