The Crown Archival, also known as the Locator, is an Elder God artefact that has the unique ability to enable its user to locate other Elder Artefacts anywhere in the Multiverse, but it also enables users of other Elder Artefacts to locate the crown and its user. This makes it both useful and, as most gods seem to want to collect Elder Artefacts, dangerous, similar to other Elder Artefacts. It was one of the earliest artefacts to be discarded by the Elder Gods, for they no longer saw the necessity in locating them.
The crown, through the ages, has been essentially used exclusively by Saradomin, one of the oldest of the young gods. It has been in his possession since even before the Naragi God Wars, which took place before the First Age of Gielinor. Because of the crown's unique ability, it seems to be of extreme importance to Saradomin. Since the crown can also be located and is very desired, Saradomin has had numerous conflicts with other deities in order to hold it.
With the crown, Saradomin hunts other artefacts, and he managed to steal the Stone of Jas from Zamorak just before the Gielinorian God Wars. When Zamorak returned from his banishment, having ascended to godhood, he attempted to reclaim the stone and declared war on Saradomin.
The crown is only able to locate the plane an artefact resides on, not the exact location.
- The symbol in the middle of the crown is identical to Saradomin's symbol and it's likely that Saradomin adopted this symbol as his own, just like Armadyl's followers attributed the symbol on top of the Staff of Armadyl to him, and Bandos adopted the shape of the Kyzaj as his.
- ^ Mod Crow. "Campfire - Answers." 27 June 2013. General Forums.
- ^ Mod Michelle. Official RuneScape Wiki - Elder Artefacs.*
- ^ Mod Osborne. "Lore Q&A with Mod Osborne." 18 March 2013. RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Jagex. Official lore livestream with Mod Osborne Official lore livestream, 2 August 2013.
- ^ Guthix, "Guthix memories", RuneScape. "One [artefact] was worn by Saradomin: the blue giant. It had drawn Tuska and Skargaroth to our...my world. The crown located other artefacts, but it would - in turn - attract those who kept them..." (ninth memory)
- ^ Mod Emilee. "Game Update FAQ - 14/09/11." September 2011. Recent Game Updates Forums.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Osborne's Twitter account. 8 October 2013. Mod Osborne: "As a note, the Crown can find a planet with elder artefacts on - that's its limit."