- This article has a related strategy guide here.
|Release date||15 September 2008 (Update)|
|XP per kill||8,750 (and 2,887.5 experience)|
|Examine text||A vision of supernatural horror.|
The Corporeal Beast is the physical incarnation of the Spirit Beast, and is a very powerful boss monster. Released on 15 September 2008, it requires completion of the quest Summer's End to fight. The Corporeal Beast was brought into existence when the Spirit Beast was killed at the end of Summer's End; as everything within the Spirit Realm represents the opposite of its version on Gielinor, the death of the Spirit Beast in the Spirit Realm caused the creation of the Corporeal Beast in Gielinor. The Corporeal Beast resides in the Gielinor version of the caverns in which the Spirit Beast was trapped and destroyed.
With a combat level of 785, it is one of the highest-leveled monsters in the game, surpassing every God Wars Dungeon general but Nex. However, the Corporeal Beast possesses a number of formidable abilities that distinguish it from similarly-leveled boss monsters. It has very high accuracy, damage, and defence for its levels; it can devour Summoning familiars; it has damage reduction against nearly all sources of damage; and it can summon dark energy cores with which to attack players and heal itself. The Corporeal Beast is the only monster to drop the arcane, divine, elysian, and spectral sigils, used to create the spirit shields. In addition to its sigil drops, the Corporeal Beast has many other valuable drops.
|Location on World Map|
|Red Dragon Isle||←||Corporeal Beast's caverns||→||Bone Yard|
|Graveyard of Shadows|
The Corporeal Beast can be found at the end of a series of three large caverns. The entrance to the caverns is located in level 45 Wilderness, not far from the Graveyard of Shadows. However, players who have completed Summer's End may use a games necklace to teleport directly into the first of the caverns, a quick run from the third cavern that serves as the Beast's lair. Though the caves' entrance is in the Wilderness, the caverns themselves and the Corporeal Beast's lair are not Wilderness territory. Before entering its room, players may right-click the entryway and use the "Peek" option to see a zoomed-in view of the Corporeal Beast's spawn point, in order to determine whether or not any other players are currently fighting it.
Gravestones do not appear inside the Corporeal Beast's lair. Items that are dropped on death become visible to other players after 3.5 minutes and disappear after 1 more minute. Before entering the Beast's lair, players will receive a confirmation box warning that gravestones do not appear. The warning can be toggled on or off by speaking to the Doomsayer in Lumbridge.
The Corporeal Beast attacks with very accurate melee and Magic attacks. Its melee attack consists of a quick swipe of its claws, or a bite attack, that can hit around 3000 damage maximum. It will only use this attack against players that are within melee distance. Protect from Melee and Deflect Melee do not seem to reduce the damage taken from melee attacks; oddly enough, Protect from Magic and Deflect Magic seem to reduce the damage from melee attacks slightly.
The Corporeal Beast has three different Magic attacks; note that Protect from Magic and Deflect Magic do not have their full 50% reduction on them, although significantly lower the damage taken, making them still worthwhile to use.
- A standard Magic attack that appears to be spiky blast of energy; this attack can hit up to approximately 4500 damage without prayer.
- An attack that deals damage and drains either one of these skills: Magic, Summoning or Prayer. Note that if this attack hits it drains one of those skills by a few levels/points. If the target skill is completely empty (e.g 0/78 Summoning and the attack was to drain Summoning), the attack will instead deal a few extra points of damage. It is represented as a faint white orb with a trailing tail.
- An area-of-effect Magic attack that duplicates the one used by the Spirit Beast during Summer's End. A projectile that resembles a clawed hand hits the ground beneath the target and explodes, sending out smaller attacks in multiple directions. Each of these smaller attacks will only deal up to 400 damage each, but if the target is struck by the full attack, these hits can quickly add up to significant damage. Players can avoid this attack by moving away from the square in which they were standing when the attack was launched.
The Corporeal Beast also has a stomp attack that it will automatically use against any player that walks underneath it. This attack can hit over 5,000 damage. The Corporeal Beast did not have this attack when it was released; the stomp attack was added one month later on 15 October 2008 in order to prevent players from hiding underneath it.
One offensive ability unique to the Corporeal Beast is that it has the ability to devour Summoning familiars of all types, destroying them and healing itself.
When the life points of the beast falls, depending on the player numbers, the Corporeal Beast will summon a dark energy core that will leap about the cavern, attempting to catch players in its close-range area attack. Any player who stands on top of, or next to, the dark energy core will be dealt between 150 and 600 damage per tick, and the Corporeal Beast will be healed by the same amount. Note that although the core most commonly spawns around half health, it can spawn much earlier or later. The core can be attacked and killed while it is standing still, but it swiftly respawns. Abilities that stun will briefly stop the core from moving around.
With no weakness, a very high defence for its level, immunity to stun, and 100,000 maximum lifepoints, the Corporeal Beast is an extremely tough monster. Its most noteworthy defensive attribute is that it has 50% damage reduction against all non-spear weapons; attacks from most other sources, including poison, only deal half damage. However, rebound damage such as from Reflect is not reduced. The Corporeal Beast will heal itself whenever it devours a familiar and whenever its dark energy core damages a player. It will also fully heal itself if there are no players in the chamber.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Spectral sigil  1 Very rare 3,190,990 Arcane sigil  1 Very rare 18,317,343 Elysian sigil  1 Very rare 34,699,268 Divine sigil  1 Very rare 51,079,787
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 3,775 kills.
13 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
The "uncuts" drop is an uncommon drop, which is always consisting of an uncut gem and one or more of the following:
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 500, 3 – 7 times Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 – 6 Common 1,374–8,244 Uncut emerald 1 – 6 Common 2,751–16,506 Uncut ruby 1 – 3 Uncommon 3,601–10,803 Uncut diamond 1 – 3 Uncommon 6,553–19,659 Uncut dragonstone 1–2 Uncommon 16,117–32,234 Nature talisman 1 – 2 Uncommon 275–550
Although the Corporeal Beast does not have a reference to the rare drop table, there is a very low chance of an additional item from the rare drop table. This drop can only occur in combination with the "uncuts" drop.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Spirit shield 1 Uncommon 39,271 Adamant arrow 750 Common 37,500 Runite bolts 250 Common 120,500 Cannonball 2,000 Common 810,000 Mystic air staff 1 Common 25,033 Mystic water staff 1 Common 24,278 Mystic earth staff 1 Common 24,246 Mystic fire staff 1 Common 24,867 Mystic robe top (blue) 1 Uncommon 71,368 Mystic robe bottom (blue) 1 Uncommon 46,818 Regen bracelet 1 Uncommon 120,871 Onyx bolts (e) 175 Uncommon 1,501,325
Essence and runesEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Pure essence 2,500 (noted) Common 37,500 Law rune 250 Common 64,250 Cosmic rune 500 Common 109,500 Death rune 300 Common 43,500 Soul rune 250 Common 35,750
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Adamantite ore 125 (noted) Common 250,000 Runite ore 20 (noted) Common 226,120 Adamant bar 35 (noted) Common 111,720 Teak plank 100 (noted) Common 101,700 Mahogany logs 150 (noted) Common 104,250 Magic logs 75 (noted) Common 82,050 Green dragonhide 100 (noted) Common 220,100
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Raw shark 70 (noted) Common 125,720 White berries 120 (noted) Common 193,200 Desert goat horn 120 (noted) Common 131,880 Watermelon seed 24 Common 54,528 Ranarr seed 10–15 Uncommon 17,640–26,460
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Tuna potato 30 Common 53,340
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Antipoison++ (4) 40 (noted) Uncommon 48,320
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Rare Not sold Holy elixir 1 Rare 756,791 Crystal key 1 Very rare 61,035
Rare drop tableEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450; 3,000;
9,000; 10,000; 12,000
Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,374 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,751 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,601 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 6,553 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 19,077 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 40,660 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 16,117 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,450 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,318 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,170 Rune javelin 5 Rare 905 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,220 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,329 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,402 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,272 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 815,900 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,302 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,700 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,133 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,076 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 19,800 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,261,500 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,050–73,500 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,634,200 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 90,003 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 13,189 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 88,550–123,970 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 97,125–135,975 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 947 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 275 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 7,500–225,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 5,560–22,240 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,860 Law rune 45 Rare 11,565 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 7,250–17,545 Blood rune 50 Rare 12,500 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 53,500–428,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 449,000–898,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 96,900–323,000 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 34,950–1,747,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 300,000–1,600,000 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 10,400 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,130,600 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,192,000–22,344,000 Rune bar 1, 50 (noted) Rare 14,232–711,600 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 131,725–1,317,250 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 132,000–528,000 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 75,030–750,300 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 6,816 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 66,676–3,333,800 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 137,430–962,010 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,069,440 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 1,954 Yew logs 50–20,000 (noted) Rare 21,000–8,400,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- The Corporeal Beast's lifepoints bar is three times longer than normal.
- During the 9 June 2009 game engine update glitch, players could solo the Corporeal Beast because it would not retaliate using Magic. It could, however, use its stomp attack.
- An update to the ring of wealth on 15 March 2011 caused its effect to stack depending on the amount of clan members with LootShare enabled. This caused the Corporeal Beast, and other bosses regularly hunted by clans, to drop their rare items almost 100% of the time. This bug was patched within an hour of its release. Jagex later issued a statement with an apology and revealed that there would be no rollbacks.
- After killing the Corporeal Beast, a player's Adventurer's Log will say "I killed the Corporeal Beast, a vision of supernatural horror."
- Killing more than one will result in "I killed X Corporeal Beasts, all visions of supernatural horror."
- When a player kills the Corporeal Beast and receives a sigil, a server wide announcement is broadcast to all players on that particular world.
- Due to players being able to solo the beast with Drygore equipment, Jagex released a hidden update which drastically increased the offensive capabilities.
- Despite being a dropper of mystic robes (like the other monsters who drop parts of it), when killing the Corporeal Beast and recieving the mystic robes drop, it formerly stated on your Adventurer's log "After killing a Corporeal Beast, it dropped a mystic robe top/bottom." This did not show in the other monsters that drop different colored robe top/bottoms, and was most likely an oversight from Jagex. This has since been fixed.
- The Corporeal Beast, before the release of other high level monsters, had the highest drop players could possibly get (in GE terms). It was later shattered with the release of the Kalphite King (although price reductions quickly changed that). The record was then again shattered with the release of Vorago.
- The dark energy core, before the release of evolution of combat can be poisoned; and the energy being transferred to the beast will harm, instead of heal, after being poisoned.
- Like Revenants, it is possible for the Corporeal Beast to ignore the player and move around even if under attack. This may be an oversight from Jagex.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|TzTok-Jad||Strongest monster in RuneScape||Nex|