The Corporeal Beast is one of the strongest monsters found in RuneScape. It is commonly hunted due to the chance of a sigil, in which one of them with a much higher in value (100M+) than Nex's drops. It has an excellent drop rate of Blue charms, and drops all types of charms at an astounding 13 at a time, beaten only by Nex's charm drop.
The Corporeal Beast has some advantages over Nex:
- Is easier to solo.
- Has less health than Nex. (100000 to 220000)
- Basic, easier moves to deal with. (basic attacks, dark core, compared to Nex's five phases)
- Better unique drops
- Decent normal drops (the best is the 175 Onyx bolts (e))
- Fewer requirements. (Corporeal Beast just needs completion of Summer's End, while Nex needs 70 Agility/Strength/Ranged/Constitution and Troll Stronghold)
However, people looking to challenge the Corporeal Beast should be aware that its unique-item drop rate is significantly lower than Nex. It is speculated to be as low as 1/1,000 to obtain a sigil, whereas Nex is believed to have a ~1/30 drop rate for a unique item.
Finding a teamEdit
The characteristics of a pro team (5-6 players) are (quoted phrases describe the used terms at recruitment posts / the battle):
- Overload potion ("Ovl")
- Turmoil prayer ("Turm")
- Group banking (banking together with the team)
- Food and prayer potion sharing.
- One of the players is the "Stunner", who takes a rune or chaotic crossbow (many people believe a mithril crossbow instead of a rune or chaotic crossbow is better, because ideally you do not want to kill the core, instead, just stun it. However, the type of crossbow does NOT affect the max hit, only the type of bolts used) and uses Leech Defence+Leech magic. When the Dark core appears, (s)he should equip the crossbow, adjust the attack style to "Rapid", and stun it. If the Dark core isn't stunned in 1-2 attempts, the player(s) near the Dark core should run away from the spot. If the core is stunned, one of the team members should stay near it.
- High Stats (90+ All melee stats.)
FFA/free for all teamsEdit
A common style of boss hunting, and thus also used at Corporeal beast. FFA simply implies that no Lootshare is used whatsoever, which means that the player who does the most damage to the beast gets the drop, just like it was before Lootshare came out. This format is popular because it allows an equal chance at a sigil, not affected by Lootshare points. Getting a sigil this way is also 'free' as it does not tax you with a huge drain on your Lootshare points. On the other hand it is also very random and you may never get a sigil as you do not benefit of other people's sigil drops (whereas in LS you would receive Lootshare points).
FFA teams usually allow different equipment than regular/pro teams, as dealing lots of damage is important to get kills, in this case. There are three types of FFA teams:
- No restrictions: You may bring whatever you wish to increase your chance at doing the most damage and getting a drop. Commonly used equipment involves the Vesta's spear, Void knight equipment (melee) or Bandos armour.
- Hides only: You are only allowed to use Black dragonhide armour or karil's and the Zamorakian spear. Bandos armour is forbidden along with PvP gear such as Vesta's spear.
- No PvP: Similar to no restrictions, but no Vesta's spear.
"Small" teams have a size of 3-5 players, and often require either Turmoil, or extreme potions.
Another common team setup is called a "Mass". These teams usually have low requirements. If you have decent levels and equipment, you shouldn't join Mass teams, unless you have a high amount of Lootshare points, since mass teams are large in size (a mass with 7+ players is common), resulting in a small chance of loot. A higher amount Lootshare points increases your chance on loot.
Before you want to take part in a team, you should be familiar with the following phrases:
- HP rule, "Hitpoints rule": Don't enter the Corporeal beast's lair if his lifepoints are below half. Anyone who disregards this rule is called a "Leecher", and will be kicked.
- "Tank the core": A stunned core should be accompanied by at least one player, to prevent releasing it.
- Crashing, crashers: Expelling another team to take over the location.
The Corporeal Beast has several attacks. Each one can hit very high, so always have at least 4500 hitpoints or higher.
- Melee attacks: Each one can hit very high, maxing somewhere around 2000, though it is usually common at 800-1500. This can be partially blocked by Protect from/Deflect Melee.
- Swipe: Swipes his right claw at the player.
- Lunge: He uses his mouth to bite at the player.
- Magic attacks: These are no longer as dangerous as a result of EOC but it still has potential to chunk your health if not using decent armour. Protect from/Deflect Magic will block little of the attacks!
- High damage: It is a high-powered white orb. This is a dangerous, and hits around 1500-3000 commonly.
- Stat drain: Small, weak looking white orb. If this hits, it will drain one of these stats: Magic, Summoning, Prayer. If these stats are completely drained it will take off extra lifepoints.
- Multi: It is very similar to the Spirit Beast's attacks in Summer's End. This attack can be avoided, though if not, it is likely it will hit heavily. Once it reaches the ground, it will split into 3 smaller orbs, dealing around 150-400 damage commonly.
- Dark Core: It summons a Dark core instead. If you're within a 3x3 radius (the core and basically 1 tile at any direction), it will deal rapid damage from 150-600 and heal the Corporeal Beast.
How to get thereEdit
- Using a Games necklace, players hit the fourth option "Corporeal Beast". This takes them to the entrance of the first chamber. It's the most common use of teleportation to get to him.
Note: The Corporeal Beast is in a safe place, so no Wilderness is involved.
Note: The Corporeal Beast resides in the same room as the Spirit Beast during the Summer's End.
The Corporeal Beast respawns in the top-central corner of the map. Note that it can be attacked from all sides. The Beast's room can also be peeked in, to tell if there are other players or if it has respawned.
Remember that an inventory should be kept depending on the terms used. If you're there for a few kills, use food such as Tuna potatoes, Rocktails, Sharks, or pies. If you're aiming for long kills, bring an Overload flask, Saradomin and Super restore flasks.
ALWAYS REMEMBER THE BEAST CAN DEVOUR FAMILIARS. IF YOU DIE, YOU WILL RECEIVE NO GRAVE. ANY ATTACK USED THAT IS NOT A TYPE OF SPEAR WILL HAVE 50% OF ITS DAMAGE REDUCED.
Melee Equipment (Teams)Edit
- Helm: Sea singer's hood > Virtus mask > Ganodermic visor > Hood of Subjugation/Ahrim's Hood > Battle hood
- Body: Tetsu body > Torva platebody > Bandos chestplate/Melee Barrows chest
- Legs: Tetsu legs > Torva platelegs > Bandos tassets/Melee Barrows legs
- Weapon: Vesta's spear > Zamorakian spear
- Boots: Ragefire boots > Virtus boots > Ganodermic boots > Spined boots/Dragon boots
- Ring: Onyx ring (i) > Warrior Ring (i) > Warrior Ring > Berserker Ring > Ring of wealth (solo/ffa) > Ring of life
- Gloves: Royal spiky vambraces >Culinaromancer's Gloves 10
- Amulet: Saradomin's whisper > Amulet of fury > Amulet of glory
- Aura: Vampyrism /Penance /Reverence
- Cape: Completionist cape > Max cape > Skill capes
- Helm: Pernix cowl > Armadyl helmet/Karil's coif > Royal d'hide coif > Helm of netizinot > Robin hood hat
- Body: Pernix body > Armadyl chestplate/Karil's top > Royal d'hide body
- Chaps: Pernix chaps > Armadyl chainskirt/Karil's skirt > Royal d'hide chaps
- Boots: Pernix boots > Glavien boots > Ranger boots > Spined boots
- Offhand: Offhand Chaotic Crossbow > Offhand Karil's Pistol > Offhand Rune c'bow
- Shield(only if tanking): Elysian Spirit Shield > Eagle-Eye Kiteshield - Armadyl Buckler
- Weapon: Zaryte Bow / Royal crossbow > Chaotic crossbow > Armadyl crossbow > Rune crossbow
- Bolts: Onyx(e)/Royal Bolts> Onyx Bolts> Dragonstone Bolts>Broad-tipped bolts
- Amulet: Saradomin's Murmur > Amulet of ranging > Amulet of fury
- Ring:Archers Ring(i) > Archers Ring > Ring of wealth (solo/ffa)
- Cape: Completionist cape > Ava's devices > TokHaar-Kal > Skill capes
- Gloves: Pernix Gloves > Swift Gloves > Armadyl Gloves > Royal Vambraces
Use a shield only if tanking.
- Helm: Sea singer's hood > Death lotus hood/Virtus mask
- Body: Tetsu body > Torva platebody > Virtus Robe Top* > Ganodermic Poncho*
- Legs: Tetsu legs > Torva platelegs >Virtus Robe Legs* > Ganodermic Leggings*
- Boots: Ragefire boots > Virtus boots > Ganodermic Boots
- Gloves: Culinaromancer's gloves 10 > Static gloves > Virtus gloves
- Offhand: Drygore weaponry/Divine spirit shield/Arcane spirit shield(Although you will be better protected with a shield, the kill will take substantially longer even with drygore mainhand)
- Weapon: Drygore weaponry/Vesta's spear(Not recommended due to its high cost) > Zamorakian spear
- Amulet: Saradomin's whisper > Amulet of fury
- Ring: Onyx ring (i)/sixth-age circuit /Warrior ring (i) > Berserker ring/Ring of wealth(switch at end of kill)
- Cape: Completionist cape > Max cape > Skill capes
- Aura: Vampyrism > Penance
- With Drygores Only.
The best way to deal with the corporeal beast is to get one person in the team to be the tank. This is done by the tank using incite. The tank should preferably use ranged and pray magic, standing away from the corporeal beast. Shield abilities such as reflect and rejuvenation can come in handy for the tanks, and should be prioritised over offensive abilities such as dead shot. Tanks can also choose to use magic, but will take more damage, and magic suffers from the same halving of damage. Anticipation/resonance are examples of good defensive basic abilities to use.
Everyone else in the team uses melee and a zamorakian spear, or dharoks. Void equipment is useful, as with incite players will only be receiving a few hits as the corporeal beast focuses on the tank. If using dharoks, players should stand under the beast and get trampled to low health. Having a health of around 2k should be good enough. These players should also bring adrenaline potions if they can make them. They use abilities (without using the adrenaline potion) to activate berserk(ultimate ability that doubles all damage done and received for 20 seconds), before quickly drinking the adrenaline potion and spamming basic abilities until they can use overpower(hits between 200%-400% of weapon damage). This way they can unload a massive amount of damage upon the corp. Quake and assault are good melee thresholds to use.
Attackers can also choose to use ranged (magic is unadvised). If using ranged, the ultimate Deadshot is usually less useful than incendiary shot (which, against the corporeal beast, either hits 5000 or misses) or unload (which is capped at 1250 but hits three times). Good ranged thresholds would be rapid fire and bombardment.
Players should be careful when using channelled abilities such as rapid fire and assault. During the course of the animation, players will be unable to move. This can cause players to receive a lot of damage from the dark core. However, players can cancel these abilities early by using another ability.
When soloing, it is almost neccessary to dodge the core, as the core cannot be stunned for very long. It is possible to kill the core quickly, however, it will siphon some health while being killed; thus, it is generally easier to simply dodge the core. When soloing with melee, the protect magic and turmoil prayers are highly recommended. With level 80+ gear in every defensive slot, it is entirely possible to use Soul Split the entire time, as you will not be hit very often.
The Corporeal Beast has many unique drops. Such examples would be the 175 onyx bolts (e), 2500 Pure essence, 100 Green dragonhide, and the large amount of runes it can drop.
If coinshare is used, these drops will be CoinShared:
- Spirit shield
- Holy elixir
- Some RDT drops