|Release date||11 July 2005 (Update)|
|Examine||Turns vegetation into compost.|
A Compost Bin is an immovable container where weeds, crops, herbs, fruits and other Farming skill products are placed to make compost, supercompost, or rotten tomatoes. Compost Bins are located next to allotment/flower/herb patches, Herblore Habitat and Prifddinas:
- South of Falador (Cabbage teleport with Explorer ring 3 or 4)
- West of Port Phasmatys (Ectophial teleport)
- North of Ardougne (Ardougne cloak teleport to farm, or Home Teleport to Ardougne)
- North of Catherby (Just west of the Catherby lodestone)
- Middle of Taverley, Next to the potato patch. (Just north of Home Teleport to Taverley)
- Middle camp of Herblore Habitat (Juju spiritbag teleport)
- Inner circle of the Crwys section of Prifddinas
Players need 15 items to fill the Compost Bin, which they can then close to start the rotting process.
Players must use 15 supercompost-compatible items in the compost bin to make supercompost - even one incompatible item will make the whole contents into regular compost. This is the same when making rotten tomatoes. A message will pop up warning the player if they choose to impurify their compost bin.
After the 15 September 2010 update, compost bins were updated so that when examined players could see how full they were, from empty through to completely full (0-15 items). Since different players fill the compost bins with different quantities of items, the examine text is different for each player depending on what they have put inside.
Compost generally takes between 35-50 minutes to decompose inside the bin. Supercompost takes around 90 minutes.
Products of rottingEdit
- Compost, made by rotting weeds and low level farming products.
- Supercompost, made by rotting high level farming products (see below) - pineapples are commonly used when making supercompost.
- Rotten tomato, made by rotting 15 tomatoes.
Suitable items for supercompostEdit
- Pineapples (inexpensive and most common choice)
- Calquat fruit (a cheap supercompost-able item)
- Pungent vine (a stackable one-click item from catching Carrion jadinkos in Herblore Habitat)
- Watermelons (grow on allotment and put directly in bin)
- Bittercap mushrooms (grow in mushroom patch in Canifis)
- Tree roots (obtained when a tree is dug up from a tree patch)
- Coconut shells (use the empty coconut shell, otherwise useless and cannot be eaten)
- Papayas (not recommended)
- Jangerberries (respawns on ogre island, west of Yanille)
- White berries (not recommended)
- Poison ivy berries (not recommended)
- Clean and Grimy Herbs
- White tree fruit (after Garden of Tranquillity)