|Release date||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|Applies a damage-over-time effect to the target, dealing 100-188% of the active spell's damage over 6 seconds. If the target moves location, they suffer 2x damage instead.|
Click animation for full size
Combust is a basic magic ability. When activated the target takes damage over 6 seconds, dealing 5 hits that total to 100-188% of active spell damage. If the opponent moves while under the effect of combust the damage taken doubles. This persists unless the opponent moves back to their original spot when they got hit, in which damage stops being doubled. The percentage is decided on the first hit, and each subsequent hit will deal the same damage as the first. Notably, the 100% is a minimum damage and it functions well as auxiliary damage, especially when combined with another ability such as Asphyxiate.
Like most other damage-over-time abilities, the damage of this ability is not increased by:
- damage-boosting prayers/curses,
- additional damage applied by having boosted levels (i.e. from potions - note that this is a separate damage increase to the base damage increase from having a higher level),
- all variants of Void Knight equipment,
- the hexcrest and all slayer helm variants.
This may make it less desirable in some situations, but due to its higher-than-normal minimum hit, it is still one of the higher-damage abilities on average. However, Combust also has an abnormally high chance of hitting its minimum damage, which makes its average ability damage Dragon Breath, which both have an average ability damage of and are affected by the above boosts).(compare to
The Lunging perk increases the base damage of this ability by 20% per rank, but moving the target only does 1.5x damage instead of 2x.
- Although not obvious, Combust could be combined with Asphyxiate to increase the chance of killing your opponent. However, this should only be done after they have moved, as Asphyxiate will keep them in place and prevent the double damage.
- Due to its low damage nature, ignoring it is actually the best method as long as you do not move. Freedom is not recommended.
- During the EoC beta, it used to deal 200% damage.