"Rules" redirects here. For the policies and guidelines of the RuneScape Wiki, see RuneScape:Policies.
This article is about the rules for RuneScape. For the book called Rules of RuneScape, see Rules of RuneScape (book).
The Code of Conduct (sometimes called Rules of RuneScape) is part of the terms and conditions of playing RuneScape. When players make an account, they agree to be bound by the rules and to face punishment (i.e. a ban or a mute) if they do not abide by them.
Jagex's Customer Support team may apply a variety of sanctions against rule breakers, up to a permanent account ban. Lesser offences may result in a warning, temporary ban, or a temporary or permanent mute.
The RuneScape Forums operate under a set of slightly modified rules also called the Code of Conduct. It some sections tailored and expanded upon to make them more suitable for the Forums. You can find more information about the Code of Conduct in RuneScape Forums. There are also specific rules tailored to each specific forum, called the "Forum Specific Rules", and they can be found by clicking on the link near the top of each forum.
Keeping your account's offences to a minimum contributes to greater success at becoming a Player Moderator.
Note: These rules were copied from the RuneScape website, but we cannot guarantee that they are accurate or up-to-date. Therefore, the rules given here cannot be taken as definitive, only those listed on the RuneScape website can. It is individual players' responsibility to ensure that they abide by Jagex's current rules and policies at all times in the game, on the RuneScape Forums, and everywhere else. Jagex rules are also enforced on this wiki, and any user who posts information or advice on how to break rules may be blocked from editing.
Rules of RuneScape Edit
On 11 May 2009, Jagex changed the rules to three lists by category: Honour, Respect and Security. If you feel that someone is violating one of the rules of RuneScape, you can report the player using the Report button below the chatbox.
We expect our players not to cheat (as there are no cheats) or indulge in dishonest behaviour. With this in mind, the following behaviour is deemed unacceptable:
- Macroing, and use of bots or third-party software
- Real-world trading, or buying power-levelling
- Buying, selling or sharing an account
- Multiple logging-in
- Knowingly exploiting a bug
- Jagex staff impersonation
- Password, account, bank PIN or item scamming
- Advert blocking – (the adverts pay for the games you play)
- Encouraging others to break the rules
- Player-run games of chance
Every RuneScape player is entitled to the respect of the other members of the player community. With this in mind, the following behaviour is deemed unacceptable:
- Discrimination of any kind, whether based on another player's race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation or religious beliefs
- Threatening another player, or bullying of any kind
- Using obscene or inappropriate language
- Innappropriate or discriminating username
- Spamming, or disruptive behaviour
- Misuse of the forums
It is of the utmost importance that the personal security of our players is not jeopardised while playing RuneScape. With this in mind, the following behaviour is deemed unacceptable:
- Asking for or providing personal information such as full names, ages, postal or email addresses, telephone numbers or bank details
- Discussing or advocating illegal activity of any kind, such as the use of illegal drugs
- Advertising other websites
Prior to the May 2009 update, the rules were organised by number, not by topic.
The former rules include:
- Offensive Language (includes spamming)
- Item Scamming
- Password Scamming
- Cheating/Bug Abuse
- Jagex Staff Impersonation
- Account Sharing/Trading
- Using Third Party Software Like Bots (titled "Macroing" in-game)
- Multiple Logging-In
- Encouraging Others to Break Rules (all rules included)
- False Representations (later removed from in-game report screen.)
- Real World Item Trading
- Asking for Personal Details (phone numbers,emails etc.)
- Misuse of Official Forums
- Advertisement Blocking
A private server is an unauthorised version of RuneScape that is not run by Jagex. Private servers are illegal because they violate copyright; the operators of such servers do not pay Jagex for a license to run a copy of the game. A player cannot be banned in RuneScape for playing a private server because Jagex has no control over what players do outside of their game; however, Jagex strongly recommends against using a private server due to the risk of malware and theft of personal information.