|Release date||5 May 2004 (Update)|
|High alch||0 coins|
|Low alch||0 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Examine|| Emote clue|
A set of instructions to be followed.
A Clue scroll (hard), sometimes called a level 3 clue scroll, is a random drop from a large variety of high-levelled monsters or it can be bought from Stanley Limelight for 45 thaler. These clue scrolls can be 1-8 steps long. If a player possesses a clue scroll, they must either complete it or drop/destroy it in order to receive a new one. Clue scrolls are the start of a Treasure Trail - a treasure hunt that sends players hunting all around RuneScape. At the end of the hunt players receive a reward of items randomly selected from a specific list, possibly including very rare and very valuable items. For a guide on how to complete a clue scroll, see: Treasure Trails Guide. Level 3 clue scrolls are usually moderately long and complex, and can give the player puzzle boxes to solve. They can also involve trips to the Wilderness, and fights with a Zamorak wizard or a Double agent. They can offer valuable rewards in return, such as Third-age armour or Gilded armour.
These clue scrolls are much harder than those of the difficulties below, due to the risk of being attacked, and the requirements for more quests to be at least partially completed.
This clue scroll may contain the following types of clue:
It is possible to obtain hard clue scrolls from pickpocketing Elven clan workers.
Drop list Edit
Rewards from any levelEdit
The items listed below are rewards that are possible to receive from all levels of Treasure Trails. These items are not guaranteed rewards, only possibilities.
Image Name 2,500–50,000 Coins 2–27 Biscuits[all 1] or Purple sweets Various Teleport scrolls God pages for God books. Gnomish firelighters. 20–100 Saradomin, Guthix, or Zamorak arrows Noted Meerkats pouches or fetch casket scrolls
- ^ The maximum amount of Biscuits that can be stored by a player is 200. If the maximum is stored, Purple sweets will be rewarded instead.
- For a detailed breakdown of the drop mechanics and calculations involved with the drop chances, see Treasure Trails/Rewards#Hard
The items listed below are the rewards you can get from level 3 Treasure Trails. 4 to 6 items are awarded from each reward casket. These and the elite clue scrolls are the only levels of clue scrolls from which the rare third age armour rewards may be received.
Rare rewards table Image Name Yew composite or Magic composite bow A piece of Trimmed rune armour A piece of Gold-trimmed rune armour A piece of Saradomin rune armour A piece of Guthix rune armour A piece of Zamorak rune armour A piece of Trimmed blue dragonhide armour A piece of Gold-trimmed blue dragonhide armour Pirate or Robin hood hat Enchanted hat, top, or robe Tan, dark, or black cavaliers A piece of Rune heraldic armour (h1—h5) Amulet of glory (t) or Amulet of Fury (t) Saradomin, Guthix, or Zamorak stole Saradomin, Guthix, or Zamorak crozier Armadyl, Bandos, or Ancient mitre Armadyl, Bandos, or Ancient vestment cloak A piece of Blessed d'hide armour (Zamorak) A piece of Blessed d'hide armour (Saradomin) A piece of Blessed d'hide armour (Guthix) Fox, white unicorn, black unicorn, green dragon, blue dragon, or red dragon animal masks Top hat or Rune cane 1–4 Costume, Puzzle, or Knot-skipping tickets Backstab cape , Sack of effigies , or Explosive barrel
- ^ Approximately 1 in 16 chance per item roll to receive something from this table.
- ^ Approximately 1 in 4,608 chance per clue to receive a Backstab cape.
- ^ Approximately 1 in 9,216 chance per clue to receive a Sack of effigies.
- ^ Less than a 1 in 100,000 chance per item roll to receive an Explosive barrel, making it the rarest of all hard rewards.
Mega-rare / Dye rewards table Image Name A piece of Gilded armour 5 (noted) Super attack, Super defense, and Super strength potions 15 (noted) Super energy, Super restore, or Antifire potions Starved ancient effigy Barrows dye or Shadow dye
- ^ Approximately 1 in 1,536 chance per item roll to receive something from this table.
- ^ A maximum of 5 effigies can be stored by a player. If a player does have 5 effigies stored and would have obtained this reward, 2,500 coins is rewarded in its place.
- ^ Approximately 1 in 1,707 chance per clue to receive a Barrows dye.
- ^ Approximately 1 in 3,072 chance per clue to receive a Shadow dye.
Third-age rewards table Image Name A piece of Third-age warrior armour A piece of Third-age mage armour A piece of Third-age ranger armour
- ^ Approximately 1 in 3,380 chance per clue to receive something from this table - each specific item is approximately 1 in 40,551 chance per clue.
|Rune pickaxe, longsword, or 2h sword||Rune full helm, platebody, platelegs, or kiteshield|
|Black d'hide body or chaps||150 Rune arrows|
|Mystic air, Mystic fire, Mystic earth, or Mystic water staffs||75 Law, Nature, Astral or Blood runes|
|24 (noted) Mahogany planks||5 (noted) Black dragonhide|
|15 (noted) Swamp lizards||Prismatic large fallen star|
|Treasure Trails guide|