|Release date||31 May 2006 (Update)|
|High Alch||6 coins|
|Low Alch||4 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Exchange price||2,975 coins (info)|
|Examine|| Inventory: Nice bit of crafting!|
As a follower: An amazing piece of crafting.
The Clockwork cat is made at a Crafting table 4 in the Workshop of a Player Owned House (POH), from a Clockwork and a regular Plank. The clockwork cat differs from the wooden cat, a quest item which can also be made in the workshop.
A Crafting level of 85 is needed to construct the cat, giving 15 experience points.
The cat may be "released" to follow players around RuneScape like a living cat. However, it can not feed, catch rats, be petted, be spoken to, or be used as a substitute for a real cat in quests. Clockwork cats are the only type of pet which can be traded with another player. In addition, players do not have to complete the Gertrude's Cat quest in order to have this cat.
It can be placed into a Menagerie. When spoken to, it will make mechanical sounds.
- The clockwork cat is a popular choice for players who like to have a follower, as it is the only pet that does not require regular maintenance, such as being fed, to be kept by the player's side (besides the Lazy Cat or Overgrown Cat, however it takes a while to get a Lazy Cat), and the Jad.
- Like any regular pet, the Clockwork Cat is still lost on the player's death, whether out in the field or if it is one of the items NOT kept on Death.
- When Construction was first introduced, many players lacked a level 4 Crafting Table and many of those that did have one, failed to meet the 85 crafting needed to make the clockwork cat. This led to the cat being sold for more than 1 Million coins for the first few days after release, despite being made of very basic materials.
- Clockwork cats cannot turn into hellcats, because they cannot catch rats.
- Strangely, despite their high level crafting requirement, the clockwork cat market price is lower than that of the Toy Doll (crafting level 18 with crafting table 3) and Toy Mouse (crafting level 33 with crafting table 4); While all three require exactly the same materials to make.
- There is currently a glitch on the clockwork cat where someone can have multiple cats following him. This can be used to hide the loot of PKers, making it impossible to loot the pile if they are on fixed screen.
|Solomon's General Store|
|Squeal of Fortune|