- This article is about clay as it is mined. For the form of clay used mainly in Crafting, see Soft clay. For the rock that clay comes from, see Clay rock. For the clay used in Stealing Creation, see Sacred clay.
|Release date||6 April 2001 (Update)|
|High alch||0 coins|
|Low alch||0 coins|
|Store price|| 0 coins|
|Exchange price||173 coins (info)|
|Examine||Some hard dry clay.|
Players can mine clay rocks at:
- the Crafting Guild
- the Dwarven Mine
- the Grand Tree Mine
- the Fight Arena mining site
- south-west Varrock
- south of Barbarian Village
- Burthorpe mines
- the Draynor Mine.
If a player uses water on clay, soft clay is created, awarding the player with 1 Crafting experience. As of 15 February 2011, players no longer need a container for the water, meaning soft clay can be made directly at a water source. This is used to make pottery in Crafting, Urns, furniture in Construction and Magic tablets.
It is rare to find a gem in a clay rock.
Dropping monsters Edit
|Imp||2; 7||2||Very rare|
|Mutated zygomite||74; 86||1||Uncommon|
- Clay is the fastest respawning rock as it respawns in just one game tick.
- Players can get 200M experience by mining exactly 40,000,000 clay without bonus experience, generating a profit of 6,920,000,000 at the current Grand Exchange mid price.
- Some players find that mining clay is a good way to make money on F2P servers.
- Training Mining with clay from level 1 to 99 would require a total of 2,606,887 pieces of clay be mined, which would turn a profit of 450,991,451 coins (at the current market price). It takes about 1 minute to mine 28 clay using a rune pickaxe and about 1 minute to bank and return so this means about 840 clay per hour, for a total of 3,104 hours of work.
- After the update that allows players to soften clay directly with a water source, including wells, players could still use some water-filled containers to do so. A bucket of water, jug of water and bowl of water may be used to soften clay, but not vials of water, waterskins or watering cans. The ones usable this way have an "empty" option but not those that are not, except for vials, which could be emptied but not used to soften clay.
- If the player uses a suitable filled container on dry clay while being within two squares of a water source, they would automatically refill the container and the player could soften all clay in one go, although it is simpler and faster to use the clay on the water source.