The Clan Avatar is a members-only customisable reward available for clans. It was first announced in the 2012 August Behind the Scenes. The avatar is made out of elemental forces, providing boosts, buffs and protection to clan mates while summoned.
The clan citadels were originally the flying fortresses of the aviansie, so Armadyl would have had his throne up there somewhere. Since the magic of the citadels is Armadyl's, it makes sense that the avatars are made by Armadyl too! Hope that makes sense.
In order to use the clan avatar around the surface world, an Avatar habitat must be built for it, which come in basic, medium, and grand forms. The resource requirements to build habitats are:
- Basic - Tier 1 citadel, 3000 timber (provides one avatar).
- Medium - Tier 4 citadel, 30,000 timber, 30,000 precious bars (provides two avatars).
- Grand - Tier 7 citadel, 30,000 timber, 30,000 precious bars, 30,000 rations (provides three avatars).
If the citadel becomes dilapidated, the avatars will not be accessible.
The avatar displays a clan's logo and colours automatically, but the appearance of the avatar can be changed manually. Changing the appearance of the avatar doesn't cost anything and can be done at any time, as long as the avatar is present in its habitat. If a clan has more than one avatar, they can be customised individually.
Each of the nine parts of an avatar may incorporate any of the four elements—earth, water, fire or air. The avatar requires the head, as well as the upper and lower body, while the other parts are removable.
To use a clan avatar, a clan owner needs to assign the Avatar Warden job to a clan member with a rank of Administrator or higher, through Clan settings, under Clanmates. The warden may then summon and choose a buff for the avatar. The avatar, upon selection for use and confirming which buff to use, acts as a follower for the warden and occupies the Summoning slot. Only one avatar of the same clan can be summoned in one world, however you can have multiple avatars summoned in your citadel. This is useful when you want to set multiple avatars to collect resources. However, only the first summoned avatar provides the bonus with which it was selected and it doesn't matter which bonus you picked on the second or third avatar when summoned. If a clan wants to summon another avatar, they first need to dismiss the summoned avatar, or wait until the avatar has expired, which takes 6 hours. If dismissed, it instantly returns to the habitat. If a warden logs off of Runescape without dismissing an avatar it will not be available to summon for up to 6 hours depending on how long the warden had the avatar summoned. There are instances of avatars being unavailable for over 24 hours even when summoned and hosted properly. Clan members must use 300 Anagogic Orts to receive the buff for the week. However, there is no cost for the Avatar Warden to hold the avatar but he must use Orts to receive the buff for himself. The weekly ort offering reset is determined by the day a player supplies the Quartermaster with orts.
In addition to being an Avatar Warden, a clan owner must set permissions in the clan settings to be able to remove the habitat, fill buff slots and customise the avatar.
Buffs may be added to avatars by the Avatar Warden by interacting with the avatar in its habitat and selecting Fill buff slots for this avatar. Depending on the habitat tier, a clan can add up to 3 buffs to one avatar.
Important note: If the Avatar Warden wishes to remove or change the buff options that had been added to an avatar, the avatar habitat needs to be removed and rebuilt.
If a clan avatar is summoned, it can only have one active buff at a time. To use a different buff of the avatar, you simply need to dismiss it and re-summon it again with the new buff loaded. When a buff is active, a specific symbol spirals around the avatar. Players under the effect of the buff also have a glowing symbol appear near their feet every few moments.
The range of the buff is a 22 by 22 square area centred on the avatar.
|Heal Over Time||Heals clan members in range of the avatar for 2% of their maximum lifepoints every five seconds.|
|Familiar Faces||Doubles the familiar's timer when summoning one in range of the avatar. Entering the area of effect with a summoned familiar, or summoning a creature within the area of effect, will double the time for which they can be active. The effect is lost if you leave the area of effect.|
|Auto Ort||The avatar adds dropped/skilled Anagogic orts straight into your inventory when collected in range of the avatar.|
|Skill Plot Bonus||10% more resources per minute from skilling in the citadel; this does not increase the cap for the individual, but instead increases the rate of resources produced. Note that XP gained per minute does not change, so after reaching your cap you will have received ~9.1% less XP!|
|Skilling Bonus||3% more xp for skilling on the same world as the avatar and 6% more xp for skilling in range of the avatar.|
|Random Resurrection||Resurrects a player. This can only be done to each player once a day and for a limited amount of total times per clan per day depending on the citadel tier.|
|Protector||The avatar takes some of the damage dealt to a clan member in range of the avatar.|
The Avatar Skilling Buff works with the following:
- Dungeoneering (the avatar cannot enter)
- Bonus experience from Stealing Creation, Clan Citadels, Fallen stars, etc
- Goldsmith gauntlets
- POH altars
- Enhanced yaktwee stick
- Refer-a-Friend bonus
An intermediate situation exists where:
- When the avatar warden enters the Grand Exchange the warden continues to receive the 3% bonus.
The Avatar Skilling Buff does NOT work with the following:
- The warden may not enter the Runespan
- Players wielding a greegree
- Penguin points
- Experience lamps
- Quest rewards such as the experience earned from creating the first of each Illuminated god book
- Pyramid Plunder
- In Multi-combat areas the skilling bonus only applies to one target being attacked, not the whole group
Through paying a clan avatar 300 anagogic orts, a clan member receives access to any of the set buffs for one week. The orts can also be paid to the quartermaster in the keep in the clan citadel.
While in combat, mainly summoned with the Protector buff, it is possible to heal the clan avatar by paying it 30 anagogic orts. Additionally, while engaged in player killing situations, the avatar may also be attacked, and therefore able to be healed.
Clan avatars can also collect in the Citadel while summoned. To do this Interact with it and then select the Gather resources option. They collect whichever resource the Avatar Warden assigns to it, at 30 resources per 45 seconds. Each Clan Avatar also has a resource cap, the same amount as clan members for the clan's Citadel (e.g. 2000 for Tier 5 storehouse, 2350 for Tier 6, and so on). On the Avatar's Follower Details screen, you can see its lifepoints, current buff, and which resource it is gathering.
If the resource to gather is changed on the avatar, however, it is possible that the "Resource Gathering" area of the Follower Details might "glitch" and not update with the correct amount of resources collected or what type of resource. To fix this, the Avatar Warden may simply dismiss and re-summon the Clan Avatar and the information should update.
The clan avatar is considered a follower which means when the clan avatar is summoned, you cannot summon another follower. Similarly, if you already have a follower summoned when you try to summon the clan avatar, you will be told you already have a follower. You will have to dismiss the first follower before you can summon the clan avatar.
Since clan avatars are familiars, they may not be taken to locations where typical followers are not allowed. However, there are some differences between a clan avatar and a typical familiar because there are additional locations that they can not be taken. For example, typical followers ARE allowed in the following areas, but clan avatars are NOT allowed:
- Pyramid Plunder
- Temple Trekking
- Burgh de Rott Ramble
- Fight Kiln
- Dominion Tower
- Saw Mill
- The Pit
- Soul Wars
- Fish Flingers
- Tears of Guthix
- Big Chinchompa
- Troll Invasion
- Void Knights' Outpost
- Ancient Cavern (can follow into cavern if fairy ring BJQ is used after being repaired with 5 Bittercap Mushrooms, after Barbarian Training up to pyre ships is complete)
- Falador Mole Lair (giant mole)
- If you try to bring the Clan Avatar into the Tears of Guthix minigame, Juna, the guardian, prevents you and says "I will not allow that creation of Armadyl into this cave".
- If you attempt to take the Clan Avatar into the Fish Flingers Competition, you will not be able and the Fisherman will simply say,"Umm, sorry but you can't take that, erm, floaty thing with you..."
- If you try to enter the Crucible with the clan avatar, you will get the game message: Your clan avatar is repelled by the dark entrance and refuses to enter. You'll need to dismiss it.
- Clan Avatars can't be attacked by clan members. Only non-clan members can attack it. When it dies, it simply respawns back in the citadel.
- Clan Avatars can collect resources from skill plots that have not been built yet, but the skill plot has to be in the upgrades queue for the avatar to collect the resources from that skill plot.
- Upon summoning a clan avatar, the left-click option on your summoning icon will become "call follower". Even after dismissing the avatar it'll remain like this. You'll have to manually change it again to your personal preference.
|Skill plots||Cooking • Crafting • Firemaking • Mining • Smithing • Summoning • Woodcutting|
|Resources||Timber • Stone • Charcoal • Ore • Metal bars • Precious ore • Precious metal bars • Cloth • Rations • Minions|
|Buildings and features||Battlefield • Keep • Signpost • Storehouse • Meeting Rooms • Party Room • Portal • Theatre • Avatar habitat|
|Customisation and costs||Statues • Decoration hotspots • Blanket hotspots • Wall patterns • Windows and Doors • Upkeep and upgrade cost|
|Other||Master invitation • Clan meeting invitation • Clan hatchet • Clan pickaxe • Clan Settings • Clan avatar • Clan dragon|