Players should try to carry the least amount of weight they can. Energy potions are optional if players have low Agility, but they will not last very long. Food is also optional as you might be hurt from the exploding toads. Only one ogre bellows is needed, but two are recommended. You may also want to bring a hatchet, and feathers if planning on restocking ogre arrows. However, if the quest As a First Resort has been completed, players can use the agility shortcut at the northeast corner of Oo'glog (requires 29 Agility) and buy 100 ogre arrows from Frawd in the general store (stock replenishes every 24 hours).
Players with low Ranged levels are advised to wear the best ranged armour they can afford, such as dragonhide. For the weapon, the Comp ogre bow is advised, as it can deal a high amount of damage (if using brutal arrows) and fires at a faster rate than the Ogre bow.
Players with high Ranged levels are advised to wear the best ranged armour they can afford as well, along with some weight reducing clothing at low Agility levels. Since these players are usually able to '1-Hit' a Chompy, they are advised to use the normal Ogre bow, as it can fire up to twice the range (10) of the comp version at Accurate and Rapid attacks styles.
You may hunt at almost any location near a swamp. You cannot hunt near Rantz's cave. You will know if you are able to hunt in a certain area, as you will not be able to drop your swamp toad if you are not allowed to hunt in that area.
It is recommended that players use the hunting grounds at the very west. This is mainly because there are no monsters to attack you. Additionally, there are several spots to choose from. Also, a mostly unknown but good area for this is south of Castle Wars; if one follows the south wall they will soon find a swamp area that is great for hunting, in which a bank is very close due to the fairy ring just south of it. The fairy ring code for this is B-K-P.
Another spot is farther west and just South of a Spirit Tree unlocked during the Path of Glouphrie. A mithril grapple and crossbow are required in order to access the Spirit Tree via a shortcut.
After finding their preferred hunting spot, players should inflate their bellows. Then players should gather three toads and inflate them with the bellows. Dropping the toads in the hunting area will set them as bait. While waiting for the chompy birds to come, inflate your bellows again and gather toads. When a chompy bird is seen, they do not have to be attacked straight away, as they actually stay for quite a while. Players can choose to pluck them after they die.
Raw chompies weigh 10 kg each, so they will add a considerable amount to a player's weight. Decent money can be made by selling raw chompy on the Grand Exchange. Some players also choose to bring unfinished wild pies, and add the chompies to them. This reduces the chompies' weight to almost nothing. You may also use brutal ogre arrows (if using Comp ogre bow) to kill chompys and it will help because you don't have to kill the level 64 wolves to get the tips. If you try to melee a chompy, you will receive the message "the bird is too fast to strike".
At 86 agility, placing toads five squares North of a pond, no weight reducing equipment was necessary (while wearing full ranged bonus gear). Bones and meat can be ignored given sufficient funds, as doing so would significantly increase training time (assuming one would be capable of banking four inventories of raw chompies an hour minus the bellows and feathers, one would make 117k an hour with this method). Arrows may be purchased from the general store during the daily Sandstone visit to Oo'glog. 100 arrows typically amounts to 200 kills while using Ava's alerter and Royal Dragonhide. Training each day in this manner provides a way of segmenting the four thousand kills for the Expert Dragon Archer hat and removes the necessity to purchase arrows for an inflated price on the GE (subject to availability) or produce them oneself, which would otherwise cause a major increase in training time and also results in a huge opportunity cost from not selling the wolf bones used.
When a chompy alights at a bloated toad, it will undergo an animation, during which time it will be invulnerable. The animation begins with the Chompy saying "squark", the bloated toad it selects will "croak". The chompy will then say *gobble*. For this reason, it is best to prioritise chompys closer to toads, even if one is already engaging another chompy. If one gets close enough to a chompy, it will "screech" and move in the opposite direction. This may be used to keep the chompy away from the toad to prevent it from undergoing the animation. If one accidentally hits an ogre or a wolf, it may be useful to keep a melee weapon such as a dragon dagger handy to preserve ammunition and speed up the process of killing it.
It is worth noting that attempting to click use on the ogre bellows while in the process of filling a swamp toad will be ineffective, as the ogre bellows changes from (3) to (2) and so forth so nothing will happen once one clicks on the swamp bubbles or toad. This slightly increases the time taken to fill swamp toads or the bellows.
Chompys will eventually despawn with a *rawk*, even if engaged in combat. Unplucked corposes will despawn too.
- Chop achey trees, use a knife on the logs to make arrow shafts, then add feathers to the shafts to create some flighted ogre arrows.
- After doing so, or beforehand, kill some nearby wolves and use a chisel on their bones to get arrowtips to attach to the shafts that you just made in order to make ogre arrows.
- Use the ogre bellows on some swamp bubbles at the hunting area of your choosing, then use the bellows on the nearby swamp toads to get bloated toads to be used as bait.
- Drop the bloated toads in the location where you you would like to hunt, then wait for a chompy. It is not uncommon for bait to not always attract your prey, just keep trying.
- Once the chompy is in your sights, kill it. Pluck the bird's corpse for feathers, and some raw chompy meat. Repeat until full inventory or the desired amount of kills.
- If picking up the meat, bank at Castle Wars when at full inventory and repeat steps 3-6.
Optionally, Rantz's home is nearby if you would like to cook the meat on the fire, though if you will be here for an extended period of time, it is advised to drop the meat if you have no interest in selling it, or needing it as food. Keeping the feathers over a period of time can result in quite a few thousand which can be sold for a profit in its own right.
- Chompies may sometimes give Cornucopias through killing, plucking or cooking them if you do not otherwise have one. (If received through killing, it will appear in your inventory as soon as you make a notch.)
- If the chompies are not slain with ogre bows, the kills won't count towards receiving the hat rewards.
- The bird has a similar look to a Dodo.
- It cannot be monster examined.
- When you kill it, it will still be a yellow dot on the minimap until you pluck it.
- Toad bait will "pop" after awhile, disappearing.