- This article has a related strategy guide here.
|Release date||18 May 2004 (Update)|
|XP per kill||38 (and 12.5 experience)|
|Always drops||Raw chompy, 11-30 Feathers, and Bones|
|Examine text||A large boisterous bird, a delicacy for ogres.|
|Assigned by||Turael or Spria|
Chompy birds can only be killed when you have finished the Big Chompy Bird Hunting quest and only if you are using the Ogre composite bow or Ogre bow with Brutal arrows or ogre arrows. Bloated toads must be used as bait to catch them. When you kill a Chompy Bird you will get a message which says: You scratch a notch on your bow for the chompy bird kill. After 30 kills the player can wear Chompy hats. When a Chompy dies it will give you a corpse, which you can pluck to gain feathers. Doing this will also place a Raw Chompy and some bones on the ground. Raw Chompy can be cooked on a Spitroast to give cooked chompy. Notably, they are completely immune to abilities, including Momentum, as they are "too crafty".
See Strategies for a hunting guide.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Bones 1 Always 337 Raw chompy 1 Always 814 Feather 11–30 Always 440–1,200
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Cornucopia 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- The Chompy Bird's name comes from the Nicaraguan word for Turkey, "Chompipe", pronounced "chom-pea-pay".
- It previously could not be Monster Examined. This might have been because it actually does not possess a max hit, because it does not fight. However, it is now possible, and states that this monster has a max hit of 8, despite being unable to attack the player.
- When you kill it, it will still be a yellow dot on the minimap until you pluck it.
- The chompy bird's appearance is near to that of the extinct dodo.
- You need to kill 4000 Chompy birds as part of the requirements to trim the Completionist Cape.
- Upon reaching 4000 kills, a player will have earned 160,000 ranged xp which, coupled with the 30,000 one time xp bonus for reaching 4000 kills, yields 190,000 ranged xp and 53,333 constitution xp for completing the chompy bird hunting. The 30,000 bonus CAN be increased by bonus xp.