|Release date||12 April, 2010 (Update)|
|Alchemy||Cannot be alchemised|
|Store price|| 200,000 Dungeoneering tokens|
|Examine||A small crossbow, only effective at short distance.|
A chaotic crossbow is a ranged weapon released with the Dungeoneering skill on 12 April 2010, and was the most accurate crossbow in the game until the release of the Royal crossbow on 29 May 2012. The chaotic crossbow is tied with the Zaryte bow as the third-most accurate ranging weapon in the game, only behind the Magic longbow (sighted) and the Royal crossbow. Priced at 200,000 Dungeoneering tokens and requiring 80 Ranged and Dungeoneering to wield, the crossbow fires bolts up to and including rune. At least two million Dungeoneering experience is required to obtain the 200,000 tokens needed to purchase the item.
The chaotic crossbow is a one handed weapon and fires at the same rate as any crossbow made out of standard metal. This weapon will also fire Enchanted bolts.
A common misconception is that the max hit of the Chaotic crossbow is higher than the rune crossbow. This is untrue, however, as the max hits of ranged weapons are determined solely by the ammunition used. In contrast, the max hit of Melee attacks depend on the overall equipment Strength bonus. The Chaotic crossbow simply has about 33% more ranged attack than the rune crossbow. This is very significant when fighting high defence bosses such as Kree'Arra, the Corporeal beast or Nex as you will hit considerably more often.
It should be noted that even though the Magic longbow (sighted) has more ranged attack, it can only use ammo with lower ranged strength, compared to a crossbow. Therefore the crossbow could be a better choice. The crossbow is also one-handed, which allows you to wield an off-hand item as well.
The crossbow is comparable to the Hand Cannon. The Hand Cannon uses ammo with +150 Ranged Strength, while the Crossbow has +30 more Ranged Bonus and can use different types of bolts (Broad bolts are commonly used, which have +100 Ranged Strength). However the crossbow can use enchanted bolt specials and is one-handed.
After approximately 10 hours of combat, the Chaotic crossbow will degrade completely and must be recharged for a fee by the Rewards Trader before it may be used again. To do so, right-click on him and select "Recharge" with the depleted weapon in your inventory. There are two methods of recharging: cash, or a combination of cash and dungeoneering tokens.
Upon dying in the wilderness with a Chaotic Crossbow, it will protect over any item worth under 20,000,000 coins in Grand Exchange value, while items worth over 20,000,000 coins take priority over the Chaotic Crossbow. Due to item prices fluctuating, always check items kept on death.
Warning: As with all chaotic items, players will not receive a warning message when attempting to drop their chaotic crossbow.
A player wielding the chaotic crossbow
|[view] • [talk]|
Royal crossbow vs Chaotic crossbow Vs Armadyl crossbow
For ranged accuracy the Royal crossbow beats the Chaotic crossbow by 15, making the royal crossbow the most accurate one-handed crossbow in the game. However, the royal crossbow's maximum damage is capped at a mere 60 life points in PvP situations, making the chaotic crossbow the better choice in such scenarios. As for PvM comparison, it depends on the monster. One can hit over 1000 LP against an enemy with the royal c'bow but can't stop combat with them for more than 15 seconds to keep that cap. With the introduction of the God Wars: Remastered update, the Armadyl crossbow was released; offering a +105 Ranged bonus and +1 Prayer bonus. Requiring only stat prerequisites, this bow makes a competitive alternative to the aforementioned crossbows not only because of it's ease of use, but also because it's non-degradeable.
When first bought, the weapon is 20% charged. Repair costs come in 1% increments; you can repair them whenever there's at least 1% charge missing.
- 100% charged (Fully charged) – no cost.
- 99% charged – 20,000 coins or 2,000 coins and 200 tokens.
- 90% charged – 200,000 coins or 20,000 coins and 2,000 tokens.
- 20% charged (After buying) – 1,600,000 coins or 160,000 coins and 16,000 tokens.
- 0% charged (No charge) – 2,000,000 coins or 200,000 coins and 20,000 tokens.
- It should be noted that the 10 hours of combat that all chaotic items last for, are measured in 1 game tick (600 ticks per 1%) per attack made AND received. It is thus possible to have your Chaotic items degrade at faster rates if you are under attack from multiple enemies, or get attacked by enemies with fast attack rates like Scarab swarms.
- If killed in the Wilderness or if you are playing Clan Wars with the Dangerous setting on, the drop will yield 40,000 coins in place of the chaotic crossbow as it is untradeable.
- The chaotic crossbow used to cost 400,000 Dungeoneering Tokens before the 21 April 2010 update.
- The chaotic crossbow originally gave a +100 Ranged bonus, prior to being given its current stats with the 19 August 2010 Dungeoneering update.
- Chaotic crossbows, along with all other chaotic weapons/shields, will stack in the bank as long as they are on the same charge. For example, two chaotic crossbows with 24% charge and 11% charge will not stack, but two chaotic crossbows with 24% will.
- The examine says 'A small crossbow, only effective at short distance', but it's larger than a regular crossbow, and hits accurately at long distance.
- The Chaotic crossbow seems to be held in the same manner in which the chaotic longsword is held; most other crossbows are held with the right arm slightly extended out.
- The chaotic crossbow was the most accurate crossbow until the release of the Royal crossbow on 29 May 2012, it is still the most accurate one-handed Ranged weapon that can fire metal bolts. The Royal crossbow is tied with the Dominion crossbow in ranged accuracy, although it can only be used in the Dominion tower.
|Main-hand crossbows||Bronze • Blurite • Iron • Steel • Black • Mithril • Adamant • Rune • Demon slayer • Dragon • Karil's • Chaotic • Ascension|
|Off-hand crossbows||Bronze • Iron • Steel • Mithril • Adamant • Rune • Demon slayer • Dragon • Karil's • Chaotic • Ascension|
|Two-handed crossbows||Bronze • Iron • Steel • Mithril • Adamant • Rune • Dragon • Karil's • Royal|
|Salamanders||Swamp lizard (creature) • Orange salamander (creature) • Red salamander (creature) • Black salamander (creature)|
|Other crossbows||Crossbow • Phoenix • Coral • Dorgeshuun • Zanik's • Hunters' • Armadyl • Dominion • Hand cannon|
|Unstrung crossbows||Bronze • Blurite • Iron • Steel • Mithril • Adamant • Runite • Dragon|
|Crossbow limbs||Bronze • Blurite • Iron • Steel • Mithril • Adamantite • Runite • Dragon|
|Crossbow stock||Wooden • Oak • Willow • Teak • Maple • Mahogany • Yew • Magic|