|Release date||24 May 2001 (Update)|
|High alch||28 coins|
|Low alch||18 coins|
|Store price|| 140 coins|
|Exchange price||49 coins (info)|
|Examine||A medium level catalytic rune.|
The Chaos rune is a rune used for some Curse spells. Respawning chaos runes can be found in the north-western ground floor room of the Dark Warriors' Fortress in the Wilderness or near the moss giants in the level 40 Wilderness.
Chaos runes can also be made by members through the Runecrafting skill (at least 35 runecrafting needed) at the Chaos altar at level 9 Wilderness. You must have a Chaos talisman, Chaos tiara or a Chaos talisman staff to enter. Alternatively, an Omni-talisman, Omni-tiara, Omni-talisman staff or Wicked Hood may be used. Upon entering, players will find themselves in a complicated maze which they will have to find their way through in order to craft their runes. Another way of entering is through the statue of Saradomin north-east of Varrock and through the Tunnel of Chaos to the portal which requires the talisman or tiara. This is only accessible during or after completing the What Lies Below quest. A player receives 8.5 experience points per chaos rune crafted. A common way to craft chaos runes via the abyss is to go through the rift in the abyss then walk/run back to Edgeville due to the close proximity then start again.
In Dungeoneering, chaos runes can be crafted, although they can only be used in the dungeon and give 0.17 experience per essence only. Free players can also craft chaos runes while in Daemonheim.
Below are the free spells in which chaos runes are needed to cast:
Players may purchase chaos runes for 140 coins from:
- Ali Morrisane (after completing The Feud quest) in north-eastern part of Al Kharid (300)
- Apprentice Clara in north-east Burthorpe (30)
- Aubury's Rune Shop in south-east Varrock (30)
- Baba Yaga's Magic Shop on Lunar Isle (300)
- Betty's Magic Emporium in Port Sarim (30)
- Lundail's Arena-side Rune Shop in the Mage Arena (300)
- Mage of Zamorak northeast of Edgeville around level 5 Wilderness (30 before miniquest, 300 after)
- Mage Training Arena north of Duel Arena (unlimited stock; trade minigame points)
- Void Knight Magic Store (300)
- Wizards' Guild in Yanille (300)
Levels 1 to 49Edit
|Dark wizard||7; 20; 22; 23||4; 5||Common|
|Harpie bug swarm||33||15–30||Common|
Levels 50 to 99Edit
|Lesser demon||82||7; 12–13; 24||Uncommon|
Other sources Edit
- The value of 1 Chaos rune in Investment Credits in Mobilising Armies is 43 Investment Credits.
- Before the chaos rune cost as much as 190 gp but it fell harshly after the update on the 26th of December, 2009, which no longer allowed players to sell runes to TzHaar shops, decreasing the demand for the Chaos Rune.
- When on the ground, the ring around the "face" is yellow, but in your inventory it is a darker orange.
- Before the Evolution of Combat update, Chaos Runes were used in bolt spells and various Ancient Magicks spells. After this update, their usage is very limited.
- Chaos runes sell to the General Store for 42 GP.