"Chaos" redirects here. For other uses, see Chaos (disambiguation).
|Release date||17 March 2001 (Update)|
|High Alch||28 coins|
|Low Alch||18 coins|
|Store price|| 140 coins|
(Aubury's Rune Shop)
|Exchange price||41 coins (info)|
|Examine||A medium level catalytic rune.|
The Chaos rune is used for Teleport Block, which is the highest level spell for a chaos rune in the free-to-play version of RuneScape. Additionally, it's used for some members' spells such as Vulnerability. Respawning chaos runes can be found in the north-western ground floor room of the Dark Warriors' Fortress in the Wilderness or near the moss giants in the level 40 Wilderness.
Chaos runes can also be made by members through the Runecrafting skill (at least 35 runecrafting needed) at the Chaos altar at level 9 Wilderness. You must have a Chaos talisman, Chaos tiara or a Chaos talisman staff to enter. Alternatively, an Omni-talisman, Omni-tiara, Omni-talisman staff or Wicked Hood may be used. Upon entering, players will find themselves in a complicated maze which they will have to find their way through in order to craft their runes. Another way of entering is through the statue of Saradomin north-east of Varrock and through the Tunnel of Chaos to the portal which requires the talisman or tiara. This is only accessible during or after completing the What Lies Below quest. A player receives 8.5 experience points per chaos rune crafted. A common way to craft chaos runes via the abyss is to go through the rift in the abyss then walk/run back to Edgeville due to the close proximity then start again.
In Dungeoneering, chaos runes can be crafted, although they can only be used in the dungeon and give 0.17 experience per essence only. Free players can also craft chaos runes while in Daemonheim.
Below are the free spells in which chaos runes are needed to cast:
Due to Evolution of Combat, these are the only three spells that require Chaos runes
Levels 1 to 49 Edit
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Dark wizard 7,20,22,23 4,5 Common Harpie bug swarm 33 15–30 Common Infested axe 41 11 Common
Levels 50 to 99 Edit
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Greater demon 92 15 Common Lesser demon 82 7,12–13,24 Uncommon Fire giant 86 5 Uncommon Dust devil 93 5 Uncommon
Levels 100+ Edit
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Gargoyle 111 15 Common Fungal mage 120 15–40 Common Abyssal demon 140 10 Common Black demon 140 10 Common Chaos Elemental 138 250–2500 Common Dark beast 182 10 Common Grifolaroo 180 31–57 Uncommon Grifolapine 200 56–80,100 Uncommon
Other sources Edit
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Barrows chest N/A 1–773 Common
This item can also be bought or sold at:
- Aubury's Rune Shop in Varrock
- Wizard Guild's Rune Store in Yanille
- Mage of Zamorak in Level 5 Wilderness above Edgeville
- Squire in The Void Knight Outpost
- When you click on a Chaos Rune, as if to use it on something, the "face" on the rune seems to be slightly smaller than normal.
- The value of 1 Chaos rune in Investment Credits in Mobilising Armies is 43 Investment Credits.
- Before the chaos rune cost as much as 190 gp but it fell harshly after the update on the 26th of December, 2009, which no longer allowed players to sell runes to TzHaar shops, decreasing the demand for the Chaos Rune.
- When on the ground, the ring around the "face" is yellow, but in your inventory it is a darker orange.
- Before the Evolution of Combat update, Chaos Runes were used in bolt spells and various Ancient Magicks spells. After this update, their usage is very limited.