|Release||20 February 2006 (Update)|
|pUre A cHaOs of crEatuRe!|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|75 / 50 / 25|
4 ticks (2.4s)
The Chaos Elemental is one of the strongest monsters in the Wilderness, overtaking the King Black Dragon, which held the title for 4 years prior to the Evolution of Combat. The Chaos Elemental held the title for 2 years and 7 months before the introduction of the Corporeal Beast.
The Chaos Elemental is known for its Dragon 2h sword drop and revenant-related items. However, despite being much stronger than them, it has one of the lowest drop rates for such drops. In addition, it drops large quantities of Chaos runes, Blood runes and Death runes, more than most other monsters. It also drops large amounts of food.
Defeating and dealing the most damage to the Chaos Elemental is a requirement for the hard Wilderness Tasks.
Obtaining all unique drops will unlock the cHa0s [Name] title.
The Chaos Elemental dwells in north section of the Wilderness, just west of the Rogues' Castle. This area is moderately easy to access from the deep Wilderness teleport lever in Ardougne and Edgeville. There is a Wilderness Obelisk near the castle for fast access, though obelisks send players to random locations until the Hard Wilderness tasks are completed.
Discord: The Chaos Elemental's primary attack, a projectile attack, is an orb of different colours fired at the target. This attack can deal either magic, ranged, or melee damage - it is impossible to distinguish what damage is dealt until the attack hits. The projectiles hit up to 1104, but it is still suggested that players utilise Protect from Magic as that is his most accurate attack or Soul split as protection prayers are only useful for one out of three attacks.
It also has two special attacks:
- Confusion: The Chaos Elemental teleports the players to a random area nearby, unless they are 20 Game squares away.
- Madness: The Chaos Elemental will remove the player's mainhand weapon and randomly remove up to three equipped items. If the player's inventory is full, items will stay equipped.
The Chaos Elemental usually drops two items, however it can drop one item occasionally.
|Dragon 2h sword||1||Rare||136,652|
|Strength potion (1)||1||Common||205|
|Attack potion (1)||1||Common||84|
|Defence potion (1)||1||Common||297|
|Weapon poison (1)||1||Rare||23|
|Saradomin brew (2)||5–6||Uncommon||24,035–28,842|
|Super restore (3)||4–5||Rare||17,776–22,220|
|Spirit weed seed||1–3||Uncommon||498–1,494|
|Poison ivy seed||1–3||Uncommon||101–303|
|Baby dragon bones||1–2||Uncommon||624–1,248|
|Rare drop table||1||Uncommon||Not sold|
|Clue scroll (hard)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Court summons||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Ribs of chaos||1||Very rare[d 1]||Not sold|
This is a separate table that can constitute one of the main drops. It is separated from the rest of the drops for readability.
Rare drop tableEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items such as a ring of wealth or luck of the dwarves are not required to access the table.
|Show/hide rare drop table|
|Uncut diamond||45–55 (noted)||Rare||168,300–205,700|
|Loop half of a key||1||Common||17,830|
|Tooth half of a key||1||Common||22,418|
|Uncut dragonstone||45–55 (noted)||Rare||511,830–625,570|
|Rune platebody||15–25 (noted)||Rare||564,690–941,150|
|Shield left half||1||Rare||64,941|
|Onyx bolts||135–165||Very rare||1,073,925–1,312,575|
|Water talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||340,795–429,926|
|Earth talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||89,700–113,160|
|Fire talisman||25–35 (noted)||Rare||24,300–34,020|
|Raw lobster||135–165 (noted)||Common||22,680–27,720|
|Raw shark||225–275 (noted)||Uncommon||277,425–339,075|
|Big bones||72–90 (noted)||Uncommon||16,848–21,060|
|Dragon bones||180–220 (noted)||Rare||259,020–316,580|
|Gold ore||90–110 (noted)||Common||17,100–20,900|
|Adamantite ore||180–220 (noted)||Uncommon||250,740–306,460|
|Adamant bar||14–16 (noted)||Common||41,972–47,968|
|Adamant bar||135–165 (noted)||Rare||404,730–494,670|
|Runite ore||90–110 (noted)||Rare||1,053,090–1,287,110|
|Rune bar||3 (noted)||Common||41,703|
|Rune bar||45–55 (noted)||Rare||625,545–764,555|
|Grimy torstol||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||356,130–435,270|
|Grimy snapdragon||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||298,620–364,980|
|Super restore (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||282,375–345,125|
|Prayer potion (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||197,865–241,835|
|Dwarf weed seed||14–16||Uncommon||9,702–11,088|
|Palm tree seed||10||Rare||1,846,990|
|Molten glass||45–55 (noted)||Common||13,590–16,610|
|Soft clay||450–550 (noted)||Uncommon||226,800–277,200|
|Yew logs||675–825 (noted)||Rare||136,350–166,650|
|Teak plank||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||35,325–43,175|
|Mahogany plank||270–330 (noted)||Rare||455,220–556,380|
|Vecna skull||1||Very rare||173,827|
|Hazelmere's signet ring||1||Very rare||1,804,467,420|
|Brawling gloves (Melee)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Magic)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Agility)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (FM)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Mining)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (WC)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
The Chaos Elemental's letters in Postbag from the hedge hint at forthcoming updates, in a rather cryptic manner.
- On 1 February 2011, the Chaos Elemental received a graphical update and improved drop table. Prior to The Wilderness and Free Trade Return!, it resembled a dark cloud with six tentacles and a lavender tint.
- The examine information of the Chaos Elemental, pUre A cHaOs of crEatuRe!, reflects its chaotic nature. A grammatically correct examine would be "A creature of pure chaos." The chaotic nature of the examine text is also symbolised by the alternating between upper and lower case.
- In Postbag from the Hedge #39, Reldo states that the Chaos Elemental is related to the Balance Elemental by some means.
- In Postbag from the Hedge #41, Postie Pete went through the Chaos Elemental's suitcase and found it to be full of paper. He had previously asked the elemental's actual name, and although the Chaos Elemental teleported, the words on the scraps of paper either underlined or circle with red spell the phrase 'Is Eondethwleaos' when reversed.
- After killing the Chaos Elemental, the adventurer's log will say "I killed the cHaOs EleMeNTal.", similarly to the examine text, as it alternates between upper and lower case.
- Killing more than one Chaos elemental will result in the Adventurer's Log saying "I killed # cHaOs EleMeNTalS."
- Currently, this monster holds the record for having the largest drop table, with 128 different items, not counting different quantities or the rare drop table.
- The Chaos Elemental is known to have no exact age, the formula for it changing every day. The following formulas are known to have been the ages of the Chaos Elemental in the past:
- On 9 Bennanth 169 in the 5th age, the Elemental's age was: 
- Where is the number of such object that exist.
- On 30 Fentuary 169 in the 5th age, the Elemental's age was: 
- Where the number of pies eaten is the count from the day before this letter was received
- The area of the Wilderness is in acres
- The depth of Ardougne's port is taken in fathoms
- Here, indicates the nth prime number, and is the function that counts the number of prime numbers less than or equal to n.
- The plus or minus is to be taken to whichever index of produces the closest prime number to the argument used in the prime counting function
- Another way to put this is to find , and then use the nearest prime number as the age of the elemental
- It is not mentioned how to calculate the age of the elemental if this formula falls evenly between two different prime numbers
- While not mentioned how it was calculated, the Elemental is known to be 12,000 years old when its Top Trumps card was written.
- On 9 Bennanth 169 in the 5th age, the Elemental's age was: 
- The Wilderness Warning Sign that can be found on the perimeter of the wilderness, contains an image of the Chaos Elemental and when examined shows the text "Danger, Wilderness up ahead. Watch out for the Beast!".
- There is a gravestone in the New Varrock graveyard named "Chaos Elemental's gravestone" which reads "Hark! Aagi Zoids. Incognito, most likely."
- The Chaos Elemental can be seen wearing a festive Santa hat during the Christmas period.
- An unknown update increased the spawn speed of the Chaos Elemental due to player complaints on its very slow respawn speed prior to EoC.
- The spawn speed was further increased with the Patch Notes of 5 May 2015 since it was the only boss that could not be instanced.
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 39 - "Transcript:Who is the greatest of them all?", Letter 6, by Reldo. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ a b Jagex. Postbag 21 - "Transcript:Somethingorotherwotsit", Letter 3, by Gyspy Aris. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 17 - "Transcript:Happy Birthday, Mr Elemental.", Wise Old Tips, by Postie Pete. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
|Fiends & Demons||