- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||20 February 2006 (Update)|
|XP per kill||1322 (and 436.3 experience)|
|Examine text||pUre A cHaOs of crEatuRe!|
The Chaos Elemental is one of the strongest monster in the Wilderness, overtaking the King Black Dragon, which held the title for 4 years. The Chaos Elemental held the title for 2 years and 7 months before the introduction of the Corporeal Beast. It is currently the most powerful non-quest monster in the Wilderness.
The Chaos Elemental is almost always hunted in groups because of its dangerous location. It is coveted for the dragon 2h sword it drops, which sells for 1,301,257 coins. It can also drop Ancient Warrior's equipment and ancient artefacts, which can sell anywhere from 5000 to 5 million coins. However, the rate of the PvP items and artefacts is much rarer than when killing Revenants.
The Chaos Elemental is a superb choice of farming Chaos runes, as it drops the highest amount of them out of any monster in RuneScape.
The Chaos Elemental dwells in the members-only section of the Wilderness, just west of the Rogue's Castle. This area is moderately easy to access from the deep Wilderness teleport lever in Ardougne or Edgeville. A Wilderness Obelisk can randomly teleport players southeast of the Rogue's Castle.
The Chaos Elemental's primary attack, a projectile attack, is a series of different colours fired at the target. This attack can deal either magic, ranged, or melee damage - it is impossible to distinguish what damage is dealt until the attack hits. The projectiles hit into the 500s, but it is still suggested that you use Protect from Magic to reduce the chance of being hit, as the projectile deals magic damage most frequently.
It also has two special attacks. The first one teleports players a short space or several spaces away from it. The second attack unequips items that players are wielding, forcing them to take time to re-equip their armour and weapons before continuing the battle. Its attacks will continue to follow the player until impact and can travel through walls.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune sword 1 Uncommon 12,154 Dragon 2h sword 1 Rare 1,301,257 Corrupt dragon battleaxe 1 Very rare 502,877 Corrupt dragon dagger 1 Very rare 48,646 Corrupt dragon longsword 1 Very rare 256,243 Corrupt dragon mace 1 Very rare 60,947 Corrupt dragon scimitar 1 Very rare 486,915 Corrupt dragon spear 1 Very rare 1,711,368 Statius's warhammer 1 Very rare 8,826,623 Vesta's longsword 1 Very rare 12,496,756 Vesta's spear 1 Very rare 4,466,763 Zuriel's staff 1 Very rare 1,201,278 Corrupt statius's warhammer 1 Very rare 3,704,481 Corrupt vesta's longsword 1 Very rare 5,024,600 Corrupt vesta's spear 1 Very rare 431,516 Corrupt zuriel's staff 1 Very rare 256,527
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Corrupt dragon chainbody 1 Very rare 193,610 Corrupt dragon helm 1 Very rare 133,328 Corrupt dragon platelegs 1 Very rare 96,042 Corrupt dragon plateskirt 1 Very rare 72,066 Corrupt dragon sq shield 1 Very rare 80,422 Statius's full helm 1 Very rare 1,931,404 Statius's platebody 1 Very rare 2,190,390 Statius's platelegs 1 Very rare 2,455,628 Vesta's chainbody 1 Very rare 2,781,240 Vesta's plateskirt 1 Very rare 2,711,645 Zuriel's hood 1 Very rare 291,571 Zuriel's robe top 1 Very rare 1,098,865 Zuriel's robe bottom 1 Very rare 815,773 Morrigan's coif 1 Very rare 205,474 Morrigan's leather body 1 Very rare 958,839 Morrigan's leather chaps 1 Very rare 475,032 Corrupt statius's full helm 1 Very rare 1,500,010 Corrupt statius's platebody 1 Very rare 2,433,652 Corrupt statius's platelegs 1 Very rare 2,221,897 Corrupt vesta's chainbody 1 Very rare 3,424,519 Corrupt vesta's plateskirt 1 Very rare 2,491,496 Corrupt zuriel's hood 1 Very rare 42,112 Corrupt zuriel's robe top 1 Very rare 261,154 Corrupt zuriel's robe bottom 1 Very rare 126,568 Corrupt morrigan's coif 1 Very rare 70,565 Corrupt morrigan's leather body 1 Very rare 485,110 Corrupt morrigan's leather chaps 1 Very rare 90,830
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Iron arrow 500, 1,000 Common 4,000–8,000 Mithril dart 400 Common 2,000 Rune arrow 200 Common 39,800 Morrigan's javelin 19–50 Very rare 373,502–982,900 Morrigan's throwing axe 19–50 Very rare 269,268–708,600 Corrupt morrigan's javelin 19–50 Very rare 188,784–496,800 C. morrigan's throwing axe 19–50 Very rare 143,298–377,100
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Broken statue headdress 1 Very rare 5,000  Third age carafe 1 Very rare 10,000  Bronzed dragon claw 1 Very rare 20,000  Ancient psaltery bridge 1 Very rare 30,000  Saradomin amphora 1 Very rare 40,000  Bandos scrimshaw 1 Very rare 50,000  Saradomin carving 1 Very rare 75,000  Zamorak medallion 1 Very rare 100,000  Armadyl totem 1 Very rare 150,000  Guthixian brazier 1 Very rare 200,000  Ruby chalice 1 Very rare 250,000  Bandos statuette 1 Very rare 300,000  Saradomin statuette 1 Very rare 400,000  Zamorak statuette 1 Very rare 500,000  Armadyl statuette 1 Very rare 750,000  Seren statuette 1 Very rare 1,000,000  Ancient statuette 1 Very rare 5,000,000 
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q This item has a distinct value, even if it cannot be traded over the Grand Exchange.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Brawling gloves (melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (firemaking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (woodcutting) 1 Very rare Not sold
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Air rune 500 Uncommon 6,500 Chaos rune 250–2,500 Common 10,250–102,500 Death rune 500 Rare 83,500 Blood rune 500 Rare 139,000
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Strength potion (1) 1 Common 243 Antipoison (4) 1 Common 203 Attack potion (1) 1 Common 79 Defence potion (1) 1 Common 156 Plain pizza 3 Common 609 Tuna 5 Common 240 Strange fruit 1–6 Common 217–1,302 Shark 10 Common 8,250 Weapon poison 1 Uncommon 83 Stew 10 Uncommon 5,160 Saradomin brew (2) 5–6 Uncommon 550–660
Seeds are usually dropped in assortments of 3 seeds, but only a single seed of one kind is also possible.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Wildblood seed 1–3 Common 76–228 Avantoe seed 1–3 Uncommon 2,191–6,573 Limpwurt seed 1–3 Uncommon 591–1,773 Spirit weed seed 1–3 Uncommon 314–942 Strawberry seed 1–3 Unknown 434–1,302 Tarromin seed 1–3 Unknown 4–12 Ranarr seed 1–3 Unknown 871–2,613 Toadflax seed 1–3 Unknown 833–2,499 Jangerberry seed 1–3 Unknown 3–9 Irit seed 1–3 Unknown 52–156 Poison ivy seed 1–3 Unknown 51–153 Marrentill seed 1–3 Unknown 10–30 Cactus seed 1–3 Unknown 39–117 Kwuarm seed 1–3 Unknown 121–363 Harralander seed 1–3 Unknown 8–24 Belladonna seed 1–3 Unknown 34–102 Cadantine seed 1–3 Unknown 1,113–3,339 Whiteberry seed 1–3 Common 32–96 Lantadyme seed 1 Rare 24,157
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 3,000 and 12,000 Uncommon Not sold Bones 4 Common 364 Bat bones 5 Common 920 Big bones 3 Common 1,347 Dragon bones 1 Uncommon 2,968 Babydragon bones 1–2 Uncommon 928–1,856 Spin ticket 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Rare Not sold Court summons 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster drops items from the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances if equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250; 381; 450; 3,000; 9,000; 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,107 Uncut emerald 1 Common 1,903 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,112 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 7,034 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 11,742 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 19,052 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 12,885 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,585 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,976 Rune javelin 5 Rare 1,215 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,320 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,933 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,988 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,917 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 848,800 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,727 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 32,404 Shield left half 1 Very rare 65,284 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,501 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 19,800 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,297,050 Rune arrow 150–200; 500 Rare 29,850–199 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,680,000 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 1,587,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 1,723,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 91,765 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 5,311 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 19,025–26,635 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 47,950–67,130 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 177 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 193 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 34,000–1,020,000 Nature rune 47–77 Rare 5,452–8,932 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,480 Law rune 45 Rare 8,550 Death rune 50; 121 Rare 167 Blood rune 50 Rare 13,900 Raw swordfish 125 – 250; 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 36,250–290 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 256,500–513,000 Big bones 150 – 500 (noted) Uncommon 67,350–224,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 38,250–1,912,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 214,650–1,144,800 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 11,100 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,056,600 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 2,824,000–19,768,000 Rune bar 1,50,150 (noted) Rare 13,069–1,960,350 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 75,900 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 88,175–881,750 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 106,230–424,920 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 94,140–941,400 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 64,750 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 5,859 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 60,155–3,007,750 Magic seed 1–6 Rare 164,810–988,860 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,043,290 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,127 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 50,268–1,558,308 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,000 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 53,600–10,720,000
The Chaos Elemental's letters in Postbag from the hedge hint at forthcoming updates, in a rather cryptic manner.
- It is the only major "boss" monster that does not exist in its own "area" or "arena" (Dagannoth kings live in their cave, Kalphite Queen lives in her lair, etc.). Though, the Wilderness could be viewed as quite chaotic at times.
- The examine information of the Chaos Elemental, pUre A cHaOs of crEatuRe!, reflects its chaotic nature. A grammatically correct examine would be "A creature of pure chaos." The chaotic nature of the examine text is also symbolised by the alternating between upper and lower case.
- In Postbag from the Hedge #39, Reldo states that the Chaos Elemental is related to the Balance Elemental by some means.
- In Postbag from the Hedge #41, Postie Pete went through the Chaos Elemental's suitcase and found it to be full of paper. He had previously asked the elemental's actual name, and although the Chaos Elemental teleported, the words on the scraps of paper either underlined or circle with red spell the phrase 'Is Eondethwleaos' when reversed.
- After killing the Chaos Elemental, your adventurer's log will say "I killed the cHaOs EleMeNTal." Which is like the examine text, as it alternates between upper and lower case. After Jagex's Runescape website was updated, this was no longer visible. However, due to a hidden update, it is now possible to view one's adventurer's log.
- The Chaos Elemental has a skeleton-like ribcage and four skeletal-like arms, which it uses for attacking.
- Killing more than one Chaos elemental will result in the Adventurer's log saying "I killed # cHaOs EleMeNTalS."
- Despite this, if you look, it will say "I killed 14 Chaos Elementals." This may be an oversight for Jagex.
- The Chaos Elemental is not killed often because of the difficulty of it, the slow respawn rate, random drops and it's dangerous multi-combat area (both PKers and the elemental will attack, making it a lethal combo)
- The Chaos Elemental sometimes patrols near the wilderness obelisk. In such an event, it will immediately attack any player who teleports there, as long as they're in the range of its magic attack. It is possible for a low level to be killed before their client-side map has even loaded. Before the update which removed pk skulls, it was particularly common for bots to die from the Chaos Elemental when trying to get to green dragons using the portals and they would drop a lot of cheap food such as tuna and trout.
- When the Chaos Elemental is defeated, it freezes up (stops moving) for a second or so before blowing up. This might be a glitch as other monsters do not pause up before dying unless you were to attack them after they stopped attacking you.
- The Chaos Elemental has unusual drops for its level, as it drops items such as various bones, food and equipment.
- The Chaos Elemental can use melee attacks at a distance. It is unknown if it was intended or not.
- The best drop you could get from the Chaos Elemental was a Dragon 2h sword until the Wilderness Graphical update, which allowed it to drop PvP armours and weapons. The current best drop you can get now is Vesta's longsword (though the chances are extremely rare)
- The Chaos Elemental used to have a very slow spawn rate (about 4-5 minutes per spawn), but after the Evolution of Combat update, it respawns somewhat faster than before (about 2-3 minutes).
- Despite being able to drop the PvP armours and weapons, it seems as though most revenants have a better chance of dropping artefacts and PvP equipment than the Chaos Elemental.
- Outside near the border of the wilderness, you can see signs and some have the words BEWARE on them with a picture of a circle with 2 lines on top on each side, this could be a small drawing of the original Chaos Elemental's look: A cloud with tentacles on top.
- Currently, this monster holds the record for having the largest drop table, with 128 different items, not counting different quantities or the rare drop table.
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 39 - "Who is the greatest of them all?", letter #Letter 6. Postbags from the Hedge. *
|Fiends & Demons|