"Challenges" redirects here. For the special assignments given by slayer masters, see Slayer/Challenges.
The Challenge System is a members only system intended to suggest skill training methods to players. It was released on 19 September 2012. The challenge system has two parts: challenges and daily challenges and both can be accessed using the second tab in the noticeboard labeled "Challenges."
Challenges are listed by skill and can be viewed by selecting a skill in the drop down menu in challenge tab of the noticeboard. The choices of challenges are the same for every player. Challenges that require levels that the player does not have are not visible and cannot be selected by the player.
To activate these challenges, players must "pin" the challenge. Once pinned, the challenge system tracks the player's completion progress. Progress will continue to be tracked even if the challenge has been unpinned.
Once the challenge is completed, the player is notified by a message in the chat box and fireworks appear around the player. Experience can be gained while completing the challenge, but no additional reward is given for completion.
A full list of challenges can be found here.
Daily challenges are normal challenges that are marked with a star and they differ from normal challenges in several ways. First, one new daily challenge is assigned to the player each day, regardless if the player logs in. Second, the daily challenge assigned is different for every player. Third, daily challenges are active by default, meaning the challenge system tracks their progress even if the challenge has never been pinned. Fourth, completing these challenges grants the player additional rewards beyond the experience gained while completing the challenge.
The first time a player logs in each day, they receive several messages, appearing in their chatbox, containing summaries of their active challenges, for example "New Daily Challenge: Adamantite ore (0/7)". These messages are not filterable. Players can check the details of their active daily challenges by clicking on the second tab from the left in the "Noticeboard." The newest challenge is at the top of the list.
Players are limited to having only 5 daily challenges at a time. When challenges are completed, they are removed from the list. When a new challenge is added, if the list exceeds 5 challenges, the oldest challenge is removed from the list.
Additionally, it is not possible to gain a challenge in any skill that has an existing previous challenge not yet handed in.
A full list of daily challenges can be found here.
After completing a daily challenge, players must talk to the Quartermaster in Burthorpe, just south of the bank chest to receive a reward. For each daily challenge completed, the Quartermaster then rewards the player with experience and one Squeal of Fortune spin. The experience will always be given in a skill relating to a challenge. In cases where multiple skills are involved, such as with combat, players will be given a Challenge XP Lamp from which to choose which skill to earn experience in.
Note: If the player completes the challenge but allows it to expire, the Quartermaster will NOT reward them for their efforts.
Some daily challenges require players turn in the items created. Players turning in these challenges are rewarded with a Challenge Mystery Bag, which contains some items roughly equal to the cost of the materials used to complete the challenge. Players do not need to have the items in their inventory because the Quartermaster can retrieve them straight from the player's bank. If the player has the item both in their inventory and bank, the items in their inventory are prioritized.
If the player has dropped the items being made, wears them as equipment, or the items are subsequently lost, then the quartermaster will note that the challenge has been completed but will not grant a reward until the items are obtained again. Players can obtain more items like they did for the task or they can purchase the needed items from the Grand Exchange or other players and can then turn them in to the Quartermaster. All rewards will be dispersed as though the original items had been turned in.
Influencing assigned daily challengesEdit
By talking to the Quartermaster, players may choose to block receiving new challenges in any skills that have maxed levels (for this purpose, 120 Dungeoneering counts as maxed). Each skill has its own toggle, so players can choose to block some skills while keeping others assignable. Blocking a skill will not remove challenges for that skill that have already been assigned.
Because players cannot have two active challenges in the same skill, if a player has exactly five skills unblocked, they will always get a different one of those five skills assigned until their queue is full. A player with fewer than five skills unblocked will be similarly assigned, but their queue will never fill completely as there are not enough unblocked skills to do so. Therefore players with five or fewer skills unblocked can guarantee the unblocked skill their next challenge will be assigned in by always completing the desired skill's challenge and keeping the other challenges incomplete as placeholders.
Note: If the player has, for example, six skills not maxed, then the player can still have four placeholder skills which will result in the fifth challenge being in one of the two remaining skills. Simply choose the four that are least desirable and complete the new challenge (in either of the two most desirable skills) daily.
Tips and skipsEdit
For some challenges, the combined experience or money gained by performing the challenge and receiving its reward is less than the experience or money a player would have otherwise gained using another training method for the same amount of time. As such, performing these challenges may be seen as inefficient.
- Prayer challenges: The ourg bones challenge is efficient only if using the bones dropped by General Graardor.
- A beacon firemaking challenge can be quick for experienced players who have completed it before assuming they wish to take time off from bonfires. However, players who have not played the All Fired Up minigame may struggle to complete it in a timely (efficient) manner.
- Thieving challenges, particulary ones where you are required to thieve from stalls can be time consuming because of the long respawn time of the item (around a minute for items like spice) compared to the quick experience of pickpocketing. Therefore, it is highly advised that you bring some nature runes and a stack of noted items to alch whilst waiting for the contents to respawn. Alternatively, if in Ardougne, one could bring an air battlestaff and kill the guards, providing a slow but constant stream of xp and the chance at a level 2 clue scroll, or they may choose to hop worlds where a stall will be ready with no waiting period.
- There is of course, the option to stretch challenges over a few days, whilst completing other ones in the meantime, for example, using the free teleports and pure essence if you have access to the wicked hood when your challenge is rune related or, if you have a challenge to string a certain amount of bows, you can chop the wood and make the bows and bow strings yourself over time and this will maximise both profit and experience if your reward includes a challenge bag.
Both challenges and daily challenges may be pinned by the player. When a normal challenge is pinned, it becomes active. The challenge is then shown on the screen in a movable window in full screen mode and re-sizable mode, but not in fixed mode. Only one task can be pinned at a time. Closing the pinned window does not deactivate challenges. The challenge system will continue to track a player's progress on all previously pinned challenges and will always track daily challenges even if they were never pinned.
- The Challenge system is actually partially viable towards free players. They are able to view all challenges which they have the required levels. If they have got higher than level 5 in certain member skills, those challenges requiring higher levels can also be viewed. However, all challenges requiring member content such as members skills over level 5, or completion of certain quests are unavailable, and these players cannot take part in daily challenges.