|Release date||10 March 2014 (Update)|
|XP per kill||1,874 (and 618.4 experience)|
|Always drops||Dragon bones|
|Examine text||Its wings shine with the old light of distant stars.|
|Assigned by||Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal, Morvran|
Celestial dragons are modified white dragons that use temporal abilities to stun their opponents. They can be found in the Dragontooth Island resource dungeon after the One of a Kind quest is complete. They drop various hides, in addition to rare Dragon rider armour and the very rare celestial handwraps.
During the quest, an instanced version of the resource dungeon is visited with around six attackable Celestial dragons which drop only Dragon bones - they do not appear to respawn. After that stage is complete, the full version of the dungeon is available.
The celestial dragon's special ability freezes the player in time and prevents the dragon from receiving any damage, as well as stopping any damage over time effects for roughly three seconds. It also traps your familiar/follower in space and time, making it disappear from the current realm for the duration of the freeze, at the end of which it returns. The animation for this ability shows the dragon raising its wings as it casts a spell, followed by a green orb expanding around you. Anticipation will not stop the stun from occurring, but you can break free from the stun with Freedom.
Celestial dragons seem to use their time trapping ability roughly every 5-6 attacks and always attacks with dragonfire or melee (depending on the player's distance away) 5-6 times after being engaged before using this. As such, if the player can deal enough damage to kill the dragon in a short period of time, this attack can be avoided altogether. One may stun a dragon with Binding Shot to delay its next attack, effectively delaying the time trap.
Note: The time trap ability does not reset if the dragon has been left alone. Therefore, if a dragon attacks four times and is left alone (full lifepoint restoration), the next attack or second attack from the dragon when attacked results in a time trap.
Because mages or rangers take no damage from celestial dragons other than dragonfire, (unless, of course, they stand within melee range) it is recommended to use the gear with the best damage bonuses specific to the style used. For those who don't use expensive degradable gear, Warpriest of Bandos/Armadyl armour is a good choice due to its high chance of reducing the cooldown of abilities.
Using demon slayer armour or other ranged power armour, super antifire potions, and a crystal or higher bow, and super, grand, or extreme ranging potions, these dragons can be killed very quickly and possibly only being frozen once. The only thing to remember is to stand at least a few spaces away from the dragon, make sure you drink a dose of super antifire, and then you will take no damage at all. A healing familiar will not be needed, so a combat familiar such as a shadow nihil can be used for fast kills.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Dragon bones 1 Always 3,076
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 15,066 kills.
2 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Steel platebody 8 (noted) Uncommon 9,776 Rune platebody 1 Uncommon 38,234 Celestial handwraps 1 Very rare 2,931,758 Dragon Rider body 1 Very rare 655,984 Dragon Rider cape 1 Very rare 403,858 Dragon Rider chaps 1 Very rare 376,394 Dragon Rider helm 1 Very rare 183,894
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Fire talisman 4 (noted) Uncommon 10,260 Water talisman 2 (noted) Uncommon 21,698
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Coins 2,038–4,839 Common Not sold Unicorn horn 4 (noted) Common 5,140 Adamant bar 4 (noted) Common 11,104 Green dragonhide 2 (noted) Common 3,600 Blue dragonhide 2 (noted) Common 4,852 Red dragonhide 2 (noted) Uncommon 6,936 Black dragonhide 2 (noted) Uncommon 8,494 Dagannoth hide 4 (noted) Uncommon 11,164 Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Rare 1,377,392 Dragon Rider kit 1 Very rare 1,048,493 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- There is a glitch where, if a dragon is killed just as the player is about to be trapped in time, no death animation occurs.
- Celestial dragons originally counted as steel dragons for slayer assignments. With the update on 14 April 2014, they were made a category of their own.
- The time stop ability used to make any followers or familiars temporarily disappear for the duration of the move. Dreadnips would not, as they are not actual followers.
- This ability also seemed to negate the effects of the spring cleaner for that kill. If the dragon dropped a Rune platebody, the spring cleaner would not dismantle/convert into xp.
- Despite the fact that they are dragons, the dragon slayer gloves do not work against them.
- There was a glitch where a dragon would heal itself fully if the player did not resume attacking quickly enough after being trapped in time. This was fixed as of 18 August 2014.