|Release date||10 March 2014 (Update)|
|XP per kill||1,878 (and 619.7 experience)|
|Always drops||Dragon bones|
|Examine text||Its wings shine with the old light of distant stars.|
|Assigned by||Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
Celestial dragons are modified white dragons that use temporal abilities to stun their opponents. They can be found in the Dragontooth Island resource dungeon after the One of a Kind quest is complete. They drop various hides, in addition to rare Dragon rider armour and the very rare celestial handwraps.
During the quest, an instanced version of the resource dungeon is visited with around six attackable Celestial dragons which drop only Dragon bones - they do not appear to respawn. After that stage is complete, the full version of the dungeon is available.
The celestial dragon's special ability freezes the player in time and prevents the dragon from receiving any damage, as well as stopping any damage over time effects for roughly three seconds. It also traps your familiar/follower in space and time, making it disappear from the current realm for the duration of the freeze, at the end of which it will return. The animation for this ability shows the dragon raising its wings as it casts a spell, followed by a green orb expanding around you. The only way to stop this effect is to simply wait it out and resume attacking, as the effect cannot be prevented with Anticipation, nor can it be removed with Freedom. For this reason, you should drink another dose of antifire or super antifire potion when you have around 15-30 seconds of immunity remaining to avoid being hit heavily. However, if your antifire or super antifire does run out during a freeze, the potion effect will stay active until the freeze is over.
Celestial dragons seem to use their time trapping ability roughly every 5-6 attacks, and will always attack with dragonfire or melee (depending on the player's distance away) 5-6 times after being engaged before using this. As such, if the player can deal enough damage to kill the dragon in a short period of time, this attack can be avoided altogether. One may stun a dragon with Binding Shot to delay its next attack, effectively delaying the time trap.
Note: The time trap ability does not reset if the dragon has been left alone. Therefore, if a dragon attacks four times and is left alone (full lifepoint restoration), the next attack or second attack from the dragon when attacked will result in a time trap.
Because mages or rangers will take no damage from celestial dragons other than dragonfire, (unless, of course, they stand within melee range) it is recommended to use the gear with the best damage bonuses specific to the style used. For those who don't use expensive degradable gear, Warpriest of Bandos/Armadyl armour is a good choice due to its high chance of reducing the cooldown of abilities.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Dragon bones 1 Always 3,717
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 12,519 kills.
2 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Steel platebody 8 (noted) Uncommon 8,200 Rune platebody 1 Uncommon 38,124 Celestial handwraps 1 Very rare 3,476,694 Dragon Rider body 1 Very rare 1,694,516 Dragon Rider cape 1 Very rare 633,219 Dragon Rider chaps 1 Very rare 1,276,721 Dragon Rider helm 1 Very rare 678,851
- ^ Only while on a slayer assignment for celestial dragons. They also appear with the regular drop.
Runes and talismansEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Astral rune 15 Common 3,645 Cosmic rune 20 Common 4,340 Fire talisman 4 (noted) Uncommon 15,360 Water talisman 2 (noted) Uncommon 26,186
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Unicorn horn 4 (noted) Common 8,324 Adamant bar 4 (noted) Common 12,768 Green dragonhide 2 (noted) Common 4,594 Blue dragonhide 2 (noted) Common 5,784 Red dragonhide 2 (noted) Uncommon 7,766 Black dragonhide 2 (noted) Uncommon 8,722 Dagannoth hide 4 (noted) Uncommon 16,576 Battlestaff 1 (noted) Uncommon 8,171 Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Rare 1,284,709 Dragon Rider kit 1 Very rare 1,337,522 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- There is a glitch where, if a dragon is killed just as the player is about to be trapped in time, no death animation will occur.
- Celestial dragons originally counted as steel dragons for slayer assignments. With the update on 14 April 2014, they were made a category of their own.
- When a Dragon uses the trapped in time ability, any followers or familiars temporarily disappear for the duration of the move. Dreadnips will not, as they are not actual followers.
- This ability also seems to negate the effects of the spring cleaner for that kill. If the dragon dropped a Rune platebody, the spring cleaner will not dismantle/convert into xp.
- Despite the fact that they are dragons, the dragon slayer gloves do not work against them.
- There was a glitch where the celestial dragon restored to full lifepoints if the player did not attack it after it has used its time trapping ability. It was fixed as of 18th August 2014.