- This quest has a quick guide, found here, which briefly summarises the steps needed to complete the quest.
|Release date||3 July 2012 (Update)|
|“||Philipe - son of Sir Ceril - is somewhat of a brat. And by somewhat, Sir Ceril means quite a lot. Xenia doesn't want the job, so you'll have to do it. Teach Philipe the ways of being an adventurer in this create-your-own-quest quest.||”|
|Start point:||Speak to Xenia at the Carnillean Family's House in south-west Ardougne.|
|Length:||Medium (30-45 mins)|
|Items required:||Items from the toolbelt do not need to be listed unless that version won't work, or aren't automatically added to it. |
Possibly a few pieces of food for dodging a level 289 monster, all other items are obtained during the quest.
|Enemies to defeat:||None|
The Rising Begins
Twenty or more free inventory spaces are recommended.
Start the quest by talking to Xenia outside the family's house (the building directly north of the Clock Tower in Ardougne). She will then tell you to speak to Ceril Carnillean who will give you Sir Ceril's list, containing a number of tasks to do. Do not forget to ask where you can get the stuff from, otherwise you WILL NOT be able to continue. After you have spoken to Ceril you need to talk to Butler Crichton, who will tell you to search a bookcase for a book about the Carnillean family (after the quest it is available from where you got it, and on your poh bookshelf). It is located in the room with Henryeta Carnillean - this step is optional. Then go into the basement, and into the cave near the ladder.
In the CavesUpon entering the cave system a cutscene will play. In the cutscene, Butler Crichton will explain to the player what to do. Inside the tunnels you will see various things that can be built. Right-clicking them will show what items are needed for them to be constructed.
Gathering Quest Making Items:
- Take the two Dragon heads from the walls.
- Tear off the curtains (Netting) from the north-east wall.
- Search the wardrobe and take the armour and sword.
Take ONE (Only allows you to choose one) of the following two items for Philipe's reward at the end of quest (Doesn't matter which, this will count as the "Return home loaded with riches" part):
- Sir Ceril's Money Pouch laying on the bed. (Use it on Claus after he is in his hotspot).
- OR Henryeta's Necklace , next to the mirror on the dresser. (placed on Sarsaparilla).
- Take the Red paint from Philipe's painting set.
You must first convince Sarsaparilla to help you, by asking her about her ambitions and telling her you're setting up a dramatic play and want her to play the damsel in distress role
- Search the wardrobe upstairs in Sarsaparilla's room to get a spare dress.
In the Cellar:
For the Floor trap:
- OR 7 buckets of water (Click the two buckets on floor next to sink)
The Rest of the items:
- Pick up the Spider on the floor (To be used with curtain Netting).
- Claus will agree to help if spoken to about the drunken jailer.
In the Cave:
Skulls and bones for the pit and decorations are taken from the Spoil Heap pile in the South West corner of the small cavern located southeast of the goblins.
Constructing a Quest
- All of the hotspots will periodically sparkle, which will help you identify them as you proceed through the quest.
- Anytime you want to leave the cave quickly, just right click on the Butler and click 'exit'.
1. Creep through ancient cobwebs into a sinister cave.
- Entrance hotspot in cellar (cobwebs around the entrance of the cave(right click)) requires:
- Spider from the cellar floor
- Netting from the curtains in bedroom
2. Perform a death-defying stunt to get past some obstacles.
- The Pit
- You have two options for the pit:
- Use the seven buckets of water to build a water pit, or
- Use bone scraps from the wolf cave Spoil Heap and spikes to build a spike pit.
3. Sneak past some patrolling guards.
- The Goblins
- Talk to the two goblins Nostrillia and Slimepits. Nostrillia will only agree to help you if you give her human armour. Offer the armour taken from the wardrobe and ask them to play the role of the guards. Build them in the hotspot.
4. Disable some fiendish traps.
- Tripwire hotspot
- After the goblins have been set up as guards, you can build tripwires in the nearby hotspots. You will need twine to do this.
5. Disguise as a humble maid to get a jail guard drunk.
- Go to the cellar and ask the chef Claus for help. Tell him that he is to be the "drunken jailer" and he agrees but only if he gets to drink Ceril's fortified wine. You should have taken it already, if not it is on the table near him. Lead him to the part in the cave before the bridge over the water and "build" him in the "Jailer" hotspot.
6. Slay some guardian dragons.
- The wolf pups
Enter the cave in the southeast part of the dungeon to find two Juvenile wolves hunting a cave mouse. Grabbing the mouse will cause the wolves to follow you closely. Lead them to the dragon hotspot and build it to position them. Use a dragon head on each wolf to finish.
7. Untie a damsel in distress.
- Speak to Sarsaparilla and ask her to help. When she refuses, ask if she is going to stay up there all day. She then reveals she always wanted to be an actress after watching a performance. Tell her that you're making a play and you want her in it, and you'll be given the option to give her a role. The role that she should be given to her is the fourth one, a "Damsel in distress". Take her to the room with the Dragon Guards, and "build" her in the Damsel in Distress hotspot. Use the twine on her to tie her up.
8. Return home loaded with riches.
- Philipe's Reward choice (Chosen AFTER characters are in Hotspot):
You must make a choice for Philipe's "reward" for doing the quest using ONE of these two items (doesn't matter which):
- If you have taken Sir Ceril's Money Pouch, use it on Claus after he is in his hotspot.
- If you've taken Henryeta's Necklace, use it on Sarsaparilla after she is tied up on her hotspot.
9. Don't forget to make the cave look good.
- Decoration hotspots on walls (three total):
- The decoration hotspots give you three choices: blood stains (red paint), scary eyes (red paint and wooden boards), or impaled skulls (animal skulls and spikes). It doesn't matter what you choose, but one of each will impress Philipe.
- After the pit at end of hall
- On North West wall before you get to goblin camp (or patrolling guards)
- North East wall after tripwire corridor before you get to "Jail Guard"
Philipe's QuestOnce you have the scenario completed, talk to Philipe and offer the quest, he will tell you that he overheard his parents and he knows the plot, thus not being very cooperative with you. Pickpocket him and you will get his bag of sweets, now offer the quest again selecting as reward the bag of sweets, he will reluctantly agree to do it.
To complete the quest, Philipe will need:
- Shears or secateurs
- A disguise and a drink for the jailguard's
- A sword to fight the dragons
A funny moment occurs while Philipe tries to sneak past the guards; after he gives up, talk to Slimepits. As soon as Butler Crichton narrates, wait for a few moments. Do not go forward with the dialogue or Philipe will not be able to bypass the guards.
Once Philipe slays the 'dragons', the Cave wolf matriarch will appear. Philipe will tell you to distract the matriarch so that he can kill it. To do this, simply click once to attack it, and it will immediately shift its attention towards you. Do not activate Protect from/Deflect Magic, or it will simply ignore you and continue attacking Philipe.
The wolf has two attacks, both of which are dodged by running constantly. The first is an area-based magic orb that hits in the 200s. The second is a howl attack that is harder to avoid, which causes stalactites to fall from the ceiling in a large grid, dealing rapid damage of around 50 to 100. As your health become lower, the amount of damage from the wolves attacks will lessen. Philipe will "level up" during the fight with the wolf causing greater and greater damage.
- Note: Philipe cannot die during the quest, and appears to take no damage from the wolf's magical attacks.
- Note: A very good technique is to lure the wolf near the bridge on the opposite side of the "Damsel in Distress" by standing on the bridge. The wolf cannot walk onto it, nor attack the player while he/she is on the bridge. This is extremely recommended as all damage is nullified. The player could click on the wolf when its attention switches to Philipe (every few seconds). Another technique would be to run circles around the wolf until Phillipe kills it, as the magic orb wont do damage if your out of its AoE and most if not all of the stalactites will miss you.
Once Philipe has defeated the wolf, you will be shown a short cutscene of his rescue of Sarsaparilla . Following this scene, you will be teleported back to the main floor to where your character will be rewarding Philipe for the completion of his first quest.
Speak with Ceril regarding the quest, while speaking to Ceril, Xenia will teleport back to the entry place of the mansion. Speak to Xenia once more and she will reveal that she was that planned the entire wolf attack. Amusingly, your character will be very frustrated when he or she learns of this. Speak to Ceril one last time to finish the quests and to receive your reward. Quest complete!
- 1 Quest Point
- 2,500 Thieving XP
- 2,500 Construction XP
- 2x 1,500 Experience lamps
- 5,000 Coins for returning Henryeta's necklace , or from opening Ceril's money pouch.
- Philipe's sweets (Contains 5 purple sweets)
- Construction supplies (100 oak planks, 30 teak planks, and 10 mahogany planks)
- Treasure chest (contains a gold bar). The treasure chest itself can be used to create personal treasure hunts after the quest.
- Two extra spins on the Squeal of Fortune .
- Ability to kill the Cave wolf matriarch for an extra reward. (Only once more after finishing quest.)
- After the quest, talk to Ceril Carnillean to locate Philipe Carnillean who will give you xp lamps, Please note that you HAVE to use the lamp and have the proper amount of quest points before Ceril gives you the next location. However, you do not have to talk to Ceril every time after you use the lamp, you simply can go to the next location. The locations are:
- Beneath the House
- Drains and Canals
- Tiny Adventure
- Philipe's Bane
- Lords and Ladies
- Carnillean Rising
- In the South-eastern most part of the cave, there is a Mark of Hazeel on the wall and when examined it says, "Old graffiti, with 'Carnilleans suck' scratched under it."
- When you use the feather or an Abyssal Whip on Sarsaparilla once she's tied up, you'll get a message saying "Runescape isn't that sort of fantasy game."
- Regarding Philipe's adventures, the current last one is in Dorgesh-Kaan, but Mod Ash has stated "I put in encounters that can't be reached at all, that will become accessible when more quests are released", likely meaning that more lamps will become accessible as the quest point cap rises. Mod Ash has also said that there are encounters going up to requirement of 400 quest points and are setup every 50 quest points.
- The player's reaction to the two goblin's dialogue might be a reference to the Goblin Diplomacy quest.
- Due to the current market prices of construction materials and the value of the bonus rewards from killing the Wolf Mother Matriarch, this quest currently yields the second highest monetary reward at close to, if not over 400k, second only to While Guthix Sleeps which yields a random piece of the ruined dragon fragments that comprise the Dragon Platebody.
- Although no experience is gained from building on the hotspots, it is possible to receive Construction strange rocks and spin tickets from doing so. It is unknown whether this is intentional or a glitch.
- Theres a glitch where if you click on the ledge, then walk north some and click again, he walks through the water instead walking on the ledge.