|Release||27 May 2003 (Update)|
|High alch||3 coins|
|Low alch||2 coins|
|Exchange||326 coins (info)|
|Examine||Ammo for the Dwarf Cannon.|
Once shot, the cannonball will inflict its damage, dealing up to 1152 damage. Cannonballs fired from the barker toad can do up to 1286+ damage, but is a click intensive process and has a much slower rate of fire.
- See the Cannonball smithing calculator for latest profit calculations using a Grand Exchange Market Watch price.
Making cannonballs is a popular method for players to train Smithing for "free" (ultimately, at a massive time expense). In addition, strange rocks are possible to get while smithing cannonballs.
Smelting cannonballs is very slow - a full load (28 bars) takes 2 minutes and 48 seconds to complete or about 2 times slower than making iron bars. This is recommended for neither experience nor money (there are better methods both). Compared to smelting iron ore with a Ring of forging and then forging the results, for instance, it will deliver less experience overall for the same time spent. However, it is slightly financially rewarding, even when players purchase the materials (either the iron and coal, or pre-made steel bars). They are able to, at a minimum, break even when they sell the cannonballs. For every steel bar made into 4 cannonballs, players profit 802 coins per bar.
It is not recommended to bring ore to smelt into bars and then cannonballs, as creating steel bars currently incurs a significant loss and the process would also become far more click intensive. You could also just have the steel bars prepared and bring a full load of 27 with an ammo mould to make 108 (28 and 112 with an ammo mould in a tool belt ) cannonballs. That means having an ammo mould in your tool belt and having 28 steel bars would make 22,456 coins per trip and the smelting the bars then making them would make 20,304 coins. Mining your own materials and smelting them before would be 36,512 coins coins, and making the bars at the furnace would make 22,168 coins. It takes exactly 6 seconds to convert one steel bar into four cannonballs so smelting the bars then making the cannonballs would take 168 seconds which rounded up is 2.8 minutes per trip.
If the Ghosts Ahoy quest has been completed, then the Port Phasmatys furnace is an ideal location to smelt cannonballs. It is recommended to wear an amulet of ghostspeak for faster banking. This furnace will smelt cannonballs at double the speed if the medium Morytania tasks are completed and the player is wearing the Morytania legs 2. This makes it the fastest location after earning the legs.
Another fast method is using Edgeville's furnace which is just a few steps from the Edgeville bank. A full load of ores can be made into bars then banked in 90 seconds or less. Despite Varrock Armour's effect of speeding up smelting, it will not work for smelting Cannonballs.
Smelting urns can be used while making cannonballs. 26 steel bars charges a strong smelting urn by 53%. When full, the urn can be teleported away which gives 250 experience. This is recommended because 2 trips of 27 steel bars made into cannonballs generates 1382.4 experience, while 2 trips of 26 steel bars and an urn generates 1581.2 upon teleporting the full urn after the second trip.
- This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ.
- To force an update of this list, click here.
- For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here.
|Skeleton||15; 16; 32; 43; 46; 47; 49; 51; 53; 54; 58; 70||3||Uncommon|
|Skeleton (Tarn's Lair)||43; 70; 71; 72; 77; 79||1||Uncommon|
|Item quantity required||50|
|Base junk chance||61.5%|
- In the Quick Chat interface, there are options to smith cannonballs using all types of smithed metals, including mithril cannonballs and rune cannonballs. Currently, only steel bars can be made into cannonballs. The only reference made to these cannonballs occurs during the quest Between a Rock... when Dondakan says he has tried cannonballs of Mithril and even Rune to break through the rock.
- After an update in 2009, wastage cannonballs were no longer dropped when you killed an NPC.
- When a cannon fires a cannonball in a far range distance, the damage seems to inflict first, rather than having the defend animation and the damage at the same time. The monster does its defence animation after the cannonball is hit, but gets damaged before it uses its defence animation.
- 30 and 100 cannonballs are a possible prize from Treasure Hunter. When choosing the option to convert 30 to coins, players receive 1,000 coins during the Double Cash period, implying that normally they would be converted to 500 coins, which is 9,280 coins less than the Grand Exchange price.
- Cannonballs used to have a maximum damage of 768, but this was increased to 1152 on 5 October 2015.
|Related to the Rise of the Red Axe quest series|
|Miscellaneous||Quick guide • Transcript|