For the music track, see Bulwark Beast (music track).
|Release date||12 April 2010 (Update)|
|Combat level||Varies (19, 27, 38 (Morphs to 39), 52, 70, 92, 115, 129, 148, 153, 169, 194, 229, 266, 304, 348, 374, 401)|
|XP per kill||Unknown edit|
The Bulwark beast is a Dungeoneering boss and the second of the Behemoths encountered in Daemonheim, with the first being the gluttonous behemoth. This monster is covered in an armour plating which completely protects it from melee and ranged attacks. The armour can be broken using a pickaxe (equipped in weapons slot or in the toolbelt), which you can find in a rock at a corner of the room, if you haven't already bought one. If using a toolbelt pickaxe, it will look as if your weapon is breaking the armour. The plating does not block any magic attacks however, so players can directly use magic to fight the beast. This method is not recommended, as the beast seems resistant to magic attacks both before and after its armour is broken.
The Bulwark beast attacks with all three styles, including melee (crush attack), ranged (green breath attack) and mage (electrical attack). It may also make rocks fall from the ceiling, dealing typeless damage. The melee attack targets one player, but both the ranged and magic attacks are multi-targeted. Due to this, it is advised to take the best melee armour and food to help. The lightning attack is similar to the Kalphite queen's magic attack. It bounces from player to player; however, players behind the Bulwark beast will be damaged by this attack. It hits often and quite hard, but has surprisingly low defence after its armour is removed. If a player runs underneath the beast, they will be delivered a powerful, unblockable stomp attack. When this boss changes target, it will move and force players to move according. This will not count as stomping and players should continue attacking.
When soloing, it is best to fight the Bulwark beast with melee armour and the Protect from magic/Deflect Magic prayers as melee armour provides the best protection against the other two styles. He is weak to stab and crush attacks after his armour has been broken. Mages should not worry about the armour and use the best spells and food while keeping a distance of at least 2-3 spaces and using Protect from ranged/Deflect Missiles.
This boss drains the Prayer of those he is not focused on if they are using the Protect from magic/Deflect Magic prayers. This only occurs when they get hit by the recoil of a spark attack. Whoever the boss is not focused on should pray Protect from ranged or Deflect Missiles, otherwise they will have no prayer points left to pray anything with.
Once the armour has been removed with pickaxes, players should switch to more powerful weapons. It is suggested to take down it's armour unarmed, as the damage done to its armour is unaffected by the weapon you are currently wielding and most weapons have a slower attack rate than punching.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Novite hatchet 1 Varies Not sold Bathus hatchet 1 Varies Not sold Marmaros hatchet 1 Varies Not sold Kratonite hatchet 1 Varies Not sold Fractite hatchet 1 Varies Not sold Zephyrium hatchet 1 Varies Not sold Argonite hatchet 1 Varies Not sold Katagon hatchet 1 Varies Not sold Gorgonite hatchet 1 Varies Not sold Promethium hatchet 1 Varies Not sold Primal hatchet 1 Varies Not sold Novite pickaxe 1 Varies Not sold Bathus pickaxe 1 Varies Not sold Marmaros pickaxe 1 Varies Not sold Kratonite pickaxe 1 Varies Not sold Fractite pickaxe 1 Varies Not sold Zephyrium pickaxe 1 Varies Not sold Argonite pickaxe 1 Varies Not sold Katagon pickaxe 1 Varies Not sold Gorgonite pickaxe 1 Varies Not sold Promethium pickaxe 1 Varies Not sold Primal pickaxe 1 Varies Not sold Dungeoneering journals Various parts Common Not sold
- If you hit the beast with melee after the armour has been broken off, it may appear as reflected damage instead of melee damage. It is the Bulwark Beast hitting himself with his falling rocks attack.
- The word "bulwark" means the same as "rampart", which is "a wall of earth or other material built for defence".
- The sound effect for the Bulwark Beast's lightning attack is the same as the one for a player's 'Idea' emote.
- There was once a glitch where magic attacks would do no damage unless the armour was removed. This has been fixed.
- You can occasionally hit through its armour with a crush weapon, but this is very rare, and may be a glitch. In addition, it would still be a better tactic to use a pickaxe to destroy the armour first.
- This is the only Dungeoneering boss who drops more than one type of equipment.
- Sometimes when using a pickaxe to break its armour some melee damage would be dealt to the Bulwark beast. In addition, after the armour is destroyed, the Bulwark beast may also take deflect damage, even if the player is not using Deflect curses or Vengeance. This is because his attack in which he drops a rock on the player hurts him too.
- It appears that the Bulwark beast slowly lowers its own defence over time.
|Abandoned 1 & 2|